intermittent rough idle on 2006

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
As the title states it almost feels like a light misfire. No smoke nothing else weird and ill be checking the cam the end of the month some time. But usually cam is an issue all the time not intermittently.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
a bad injector at a certain temp? The last bad injector I had on my BEW was only really noticeable at idle

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Check for DTCs, even if your MIL has never come on.

Check the Smooth Idle Compensation in the data blocks, see if you notice a big change with one or more of the cylinders when it happens, if you can catch it in the act.

Check the KW in the data blocks. I like them all set at "0.00" but with the BRMs I have found they run a wee bit better with them towards positive, maybe 0.50 to 1.00 at the very most.

Wiggle the engine harness around, where it goes across near the starter, to the body wire holder. See if that makes any change while the engine is idling.

Check all the temp sensor values in the data blocks (fuel, coolant, intake air), to see if they all remain the same once warm and don't vary and move around with quick, rapid changes.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Over the past several weeks I noticed on my 2005.5 BRM that it also had a rough idle (almost a miss), especially when it had been driven for a while
and was warm.
I had replaced the cam with an OEM one just over 100K ago, and the timing belt was replaced about 40K ago (when I set the torsion value to .5).

I checked the torsion (KW) value this week, and it was 0.0, so I reset the torsion to 1.0, and have noticed that the idle smoothed out.

I also checked my cam (had not checked it since I installed it), and the chamfer looks and feels good (I was worried, since I have read that OEM cam replacements will wear out).

Bottom line, I would use VCDS and check/reset the torsion timing to 0.0 to 1.0, and also check the other items that Oilhammer suggests.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
Measuring block 4 shows -1.5kw on the torsion. I'm doing my timing belt next week so I'll set it then. Injection quantity is .05 .012 -.21 .28. No codes as of yet.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
Ok put my timing belt in and set torsion vLue to 1.0 I'll keep an eye on it. Also my cam is pretty worn on cylinder 1. Not the most worn I've seen but it's getting there.