Intermittent outside lights issues ???

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
7th VW: 2011 SportWagen TDI & 6th: 2000 Golf TDI
So yesterday the problem started on my 2011 JSW. The amber "light bulb icon" on the dash turned on, and a slew of messages such as "Check your left brake light, " Check your rear license plate light," etc. scrolled through.

All lights are stock and still original bulbs. I did a visual check, and a bunch of lights were out. It's a different combinations of lights on either sides (on one side: driving light, the rear brake light, etc and on the other side: turn signal, headlight, etc.. including license plate and third brake light in the middle).

• All bulbs are ok; all filaments are intact (and they would turn on again intermittently)
  • Fuses are all good.
  • VCDS scan returned 11 Central Electronic faults 0010: 00979, 00985, 01497, etc. Here's the full scan at pastebin.com.
  • After sunset and the temp has dropped a bit, tried the lights and everything turned on!
  • This morning, I waited for the sun to cook the car on the driveway, and the issues returned.
Any thoughts? Relay? Headlight switch? I'm hoping it's something easy to fix.

(FWIW, Navigation is also returning CD Changer fault but I don't think it's related).

EDIT: found http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00979 and http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01499 and http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/02394; either bad bulb (not the case), bad wiring (why intermittent without the car moved?), or bad module coding (why intermittent?), or do an output test (?). Still don't know where to look yet.

Last edited:

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
Typical Washington DC area weather (VA to be exact). It stormed hard last week giving us a cool weekend but it's been hot and humid this week.

I checked the main ground near the battery which was fine. I treated it with Deoxit back in 2012 when it was newish.

What does "open to plus" mean (as opposed to open to ground)?

astoryatthree

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6mt
Check your CECM harness. It is in the driver's side footwell up near the light. When I added the Euroswitch, I failed to fully connect it after running the trigger wire and got what you are describing.

May not be the CECM harness but it is worth a shot...

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
I would pity NSA for wasting bytes on my car :).

Still having the issue intermittently. It's currently working fine now (though electric seat recline and pano roof aren't working). I replaced the CECM (Body Control Module) with a used one and did the VCDS procedure. At first, it fixed the issue but it had come back intermittenly.

I was lazy and dealer (Stohlman) had a coupon for oil change, so wife took it in and they recommended replacing the engine bay fuse panel. They were sure it was the problem. They want $400 to replace 1K0937125D ($181 shipped from ECS). As noted above, I had tested the fuses in that panel before, inspected it and on the surface everything looked fine.

I just checked again today and mine is already 1K0937125D, so I'm not sure if mine has fuse the melting issue.

(side note: dealer installed misfuel guard without authorization. wife had to go back to have it removed :mad:)