Interior noise muting

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Hey all,

I have received several comments from folks about the background noise when I am on the phone while driving (using the cars hands free Bluetooth connection). I pair the car with my iPhone 5s.

I'm wondering if anyone has had similar feedback and/ or any suggestions for filtering or has somehow managed to reduce the interior background noise. I often find myself picking the phone up, changing the audio option and putting it to my ear.

For those of you that have augmented your soundproofing (HerkGuy, et al) I'd be curious if it helped ..?

Thanks!

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
A strip of universal foam or rubber weather strip applied to the body behind the rear seat backs will eliminate some of the "trunk rumble".

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
For those of you that have augmented your soundproofing (HerkGuy, et al) I'd be curious if it helped ..?
Thanks!
Have not had any complaints and specifically asked the wife, she reports it's good no issues.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Having worked in the wireless industry for 15 years (yeah I programmed your analog car phone back then) I agree that the hands free in these cars is so unacceptable that I make my wife call me on a Jawbone Era noise canceling Bluetooth that makes the background noise completely go away. The 315 in my wife's NMS is like going back in time to 2003 when sony-ericsson first released a Bluetooth headset

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
For those of us who do want to reduce road noise, try a product called "second skin audio" it worked wonders on my old Accord- made it almost as quiet as a 1990's Caddy

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Cool, thanks for the suggestions guys!

JRM I think I'll give the second skin a shot.

HerkGuy, if I recall we're about 30 min away. My late summer and early fall are stupid busy, but perhaps late this fall you'd be willing to walk me through your process..?

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Anytime, give me a shout if you are over my way, I'm just east of New Prague.

You can see what I've done and when you are ready to do something l would be glad to help.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
What would be the one, first, thing you'd do to lower noise levels (after changing from the Hankook tires)?

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
The foam strip behind the rear seat is the thread that I started. Pics are included.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360338

Tires make a big difference too. I've had good results with the Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus H. The car really could use an extra thick layer of weather strip around the doors too, so it is more like our Audi.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
FWIT, My 2013 had TDI had the air gap behind the rear seat. A 2014 gas 1.8T loaner Passat did not have that air gap, and as a result was much quieter inside the cabin. The 2014 also seemed to have less noise around the side mirrors than the 2013. Not sure why.

There is also an 'acoustic' windshield available for those that want to change it out due to damage. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ement-windshield-with-quot-Acoustic-quot-logo

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=417419

And this 2 page thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=417419

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Hey all,
I have received several comments from folks about the background noise when I am on the phone while driving (using the cars hands free Bluetooth connection). I pair the car with my iPhone 5s.
There was a thread maybe 1.5 years ago about poor bluetooth performance.

Our HTC One Mini sounds, at times, better than my Blackberry Z10. I'm going to try to put a large piece of foam behind the microphone and see if that works better.

Sometimes, I also shut off the hvac when having a conversation.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Cool, thanks for all the replies folks.

Driver found, thanks for the link. That looks like nice quick and inexpensive job to reduce the noise a little. I find it interesting the 2014 1.8T didn't have the gap, but my 2014 TDI does...?

My experience is similar to psrumors in that the system is great sub-60mph, but over that speed and I also sound like I am in a barrel. My road surfaces change quite a bit over my commute, from old asphalt, to new asphalt to concrete and yes, some are certainly lounder than others. 29,700 miles on it now and the stock Hankooks are soon to go (before winter hits us again), they're at about 5/32 of tread left. Cant wait for new skins, but I am going to squeeze every last mile out of these first...

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
^. No, it seems I missed that in my search. I'll give that a shot too! Looks like a simple change...

Thanks for the link!