Interior fan on my 06 VW TDI Beetle only works on #4/full blast

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Most likely need a new fan speed resistor. It's bolted to the bottom of the heater box, below the glove box.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Are you sure it's not doing ANYTHING? Maybe your cabin filter is plugged up so low fan speeds feel like nothing comes out?

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Yup, as mentioned above, definitely sounds like a dead fan/blower resistor. Had this exact problem before and posted here about it and was given the same advice. Truthfully, I was skeptical at first till I finally found the wire diagram and confirmed the symptoms schematically. (This was on a Mk4 Jetta).

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
The same thing happened in my 1987 Toyota pickup and yep. It was the resistor.
That was before the internet, though, so I have no idea how I ever figured that out. :confused:

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Hey, Vince, it says Alberta, so how come you sound like a MA guy? Thanks for the video -- haven't needed that yet, but probably will in the future.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Yep, although it is no doubt the resister gone bad there is often a reason the resister heat protector "fuse" fails. I replaced a couple years ago in the 2001 until one day the smoke spewed out of the dash vents and the blower fan motor suddenly screeched to a stop. When the fan motor bearings (and or windings/brushes) wear out and cause extra amp draw from excess drag it can overheat the resistor. Eventually the motor is toast. Replace the resistor or heat protector "fuse" and see how much time it buys you.

06tdibug

TDI
2006 tdi beetle
Thanks for all of the replies. I have the resistor out which is attached to a plastic cover. Resistor is pretty dark and cracked. Appears to be made on to the plastic cover. Does any one know if the new/replacement part is just the resistor or does it come on a new plastic cover?

06tdibug

TDI
2006 tdi beetle
I have removed the blower fan. Has anyone ever taken the plastic piece off so you can clean the blower and oil the bearings?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I have removed the blower fan. Has anyone ever taken the plastic piece off so you can clean the blower and oil the bearings?
This was just posted in another section:

06tdibug

TDI
2006 tdi beetle
The brushes on my blower fan motor appear to have plenty of material left how much wear is allowed where the brushes ride on the armature

waymui@gmail.com

TDI
‘81 caddy ‘05 Jetta wagon ‘03 Jetta wagon ‘13 Passat sedan
Has anyone ever replaced just the resistor in that plastic housing ? seems that I can find that individual piece much cheaper than the $50-$80 that they want for the new resistor and plastic unit.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Has anyone ever replaced just the resistor in that plastic housing ? seems that I can find that individual piece much cheaper than the $50-$80 that they want for the new resistor and plastic unit.
Yes, did that a couple times. The resistor used to be available at Radio Shack (remember them?)..
But, what I learned, and probably has been mentioned, is if the resistor is blowing there is a reason for that. Eventually, because the motor is pulling too much amperage from failing bearings, etc causing the resistor to fail, will require a new motor. This became obvious on one occasion when suddenly smoke came pouring out the dash vents. No warning growling or squealing, just smoke and then silence.
You can replace a resistor to fix the immediate issue but typically you will eventually be getting a new blower motor.
Edit: sorry for the redundancy. I see I replied in post #9.

waymui@gmail.com

TDI
‘81 caddy ‘05 Jetta wagon ‘03 Jetta wagon ‘13 Passat sedan
I recently replaced the cabin air filter, put in a higher quality thicker filter and had about 100 miles on it with the fan on 1 and 2 settings when it quit. It’s the exact same filter that I have in another MKIV and haven’t had any problems with it.
I turned the fan by hand and don’t notice anything out of the ordinary with it, not hard to turn or rough bearings, etc. the car has 240k and probably the original fan.
Should I put my old filter back in? Is the new one causing a restricted flow?

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If it’s new I’d leave the filter in place…. That’s not causing your issue.