Interior Cabin filter

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
I did run the search and didnot find anything worthwhile.

Anyone have pics on how to replace the cabin air filter? When should it be replaced?

thanks

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
The pollen filter? According to the maintenance schedule in our owner's manuals, it's supposed to be changed every 20,000 miles. It's really quite simple to do; there's a write-up of it on the A5 board but no pics that I know of. Takes all of 5 minutes and uses, IIRC, a phillips and flat-head screwdriver.

sambo

TDI
2000 A4
Just finished making a homemade cabin air filter using a furnace filter (I used a 3m Filtrete with a 1500 rating). Thin pieces of cardboard with silicone to hold the filter (it fits snugly in the plastic frame) and a bead of silicone for additional holding power. If it's cut carefully it ends up the same as the stock filter (not quite as deep, but it has more pleats) with a cool looking wire mesh cover (need the mesh to support the pleats). After replacing leaky fuel return lines ($10/ft at VW dealer - no way), using weather stripping under the hood, and replacing A/C drain valve (valve flap removed by previous owner) I still have a hint of dank basement through my air vents. If this new filter works it will be less restrictive, and bring in more fresh air without having to use the fan. It's not very durable, but at 1/4 the cost (it's 20x25x1) I can afford to change it frequently. For added durability I could have used pieces of plastic cardboard (bought at a home improvement store). Silicon seems to stick to it well. My biggest concern is sucking the filter into the fan (not good).

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
sambo, apperently the time=money equation doesn't work in your part of the world :D

You can by a cabin filter for $15 to $20. That is pretty cheap for every 20k miles. The time it took you to BUILD yours I could have EARNED enough to buy one, so I guess it is a wash.

The A5's is not in the same place as the A4, the A5's is under the dash above the passenger's footwell area. Just take down the little black stiff foam hush panel and you'll see the rectangular access panel. Pretty easy, but be prepared for some debris to fall out. I always lay a chunk of cardboard or plastic down on the floormat to catch anything that falls out.

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
I don't buy the every 20k mile filter change. When I was doing this on both my WRX and Celica about every 3-7k miles I would change my filter. It would come out almost black and have lots of debris in it.

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
buckeye96 said:
I don't buy the every 20k mile filter change. When I was doing this on both my WRX and Celica about every 3-7k miles I would change my filter. It would come out almost black and have lots of debris in it.
My air filter at 20,000 miles was pretty clean (misread book on when it was supposed to be done.) My pollen filter was dirtier, but still not black or anything like that.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
lildevildee said:
The pollen filter? According to the maintenance schedule in our owner's manuals, it's supposed to be changed every 20,000 miles. It's really quite simple to do; there's a write-up of it on the A5 board but no pics that I know of. Takes all of 5 minutes and uses, IIRC, a phillips and flat-head screwdriver.
I will post some pics next weekend, as I did my 20k last Sunday. What did you need Philips screwdriver for?

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
maloosheck said:
I will post some pics next weekend, as I did my 20k last Sunday. What did you need Philips screwdriver for?
That's what the IIRC (if I recall correctly) was in there for :) I used the flat head to do part of it but bending over to get to it was killing my belly thanks to the kid inside...My husband finished up so I wasn't too sure.

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
Just wondering the location of this filter?
My car has 26000 miles and I didn't replace the filter @ 20K... I couldn't find the beast!

But now I have a aweful smell coming from the vents when the AC kicks on and off... :mad:

Pics would be helpfully.

Thanks
Keith

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
That smelly stuf is mold that has grown on the AC coolant plates. This happens when the AC is shut down and the plates are still wet.

To remedy the problem you can shoot some Lysol mildew spray into the air intake while the blower fan is on high. Repeated several times, this will usually take care of it.

To keep the mold from returning, don't put the AC on recirciluate and after you shut down the AC let the fan blow on high speed for a few minutes...or install this unit which will do it automitacally for you every few minutes as long as the temperature is above 60 degrees..(has a low voltage shut off so it will not drain the car battery.) I put it in my '04 Jetta sedan TDI and have had no problem with any mold.

Go here for the unit, http://airsept.com and click on Electronic Evaporative Dryer.

Last edited:

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
Thanks!

I removed the filter and now my neck is killing me.

Some mechanical Engineer need a kick in the A@S!

I sprayed lysol for the second time this week, so maybe it needs to be done a few more times.

Thanks for the links.

Oh, 26000 miles and my filter has LOT of dirt and junk....

Take care!

Keith Stef

sambo

TDI
2000 A4
Up to this point I've sprayed about 5 litres of rubbing alcohol into the cabin air intake (with the fan running), stuck a thin piece of weather stripping under the back of the hood where the black rubber seal is, used duct tape at either end of the seal where there's a ledge under which gases from the engine could pass, duct taped the A/C lines where they pass through from the engine compartment (a removable weatherstrip caulking material might be a better idea), and built what will probably be my final version of a cabin air filter. I took Dick Larimore's idea at http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=140925&highlight=homemade+cabin+air+filter of using a wire mesh with split pieces of 1/4" tubing on all sides and covered with pantyhose and modified it. I used a "Web Absorber" furnace filter that has a plastic support grid and two sheets of filter media (one is an activated carbon, the other is for stopping pollen). Cost about $20 and I can make four filters. I'll be doubling up the filters (there's room for four sheets) so this may be as close as I can get to not having to breath acid gases every time I drive (test drive was good). I could still seal the heater hoses at the bulkhead (if I can reach them). This post should help with a few more ideas for anyone having the same problems I've had. I didn't just have a moldy A/C, I also had to find a way to stop vaporized fuel, soot, oil vapors, and acid gases. Changing the filter by itself wasn't the solution.

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
Why do you have to stop all that stuff? Are you talking about stuff your car is pumping into the A/C or the air that everyone else on the road is using?

Edit (2009, 3 years later): wow, where did this thread get revived from... and *** was I thinking when I made this comment?
Edit #2: Oh, figured it out. Bad news, paper filters probably aren't going to stop vapor.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
sambo said:
I didn't just have a moldy A/C, I also had to find a way to stop vaporized fuel, soot, oil vapors, and acid gases. Changing the filter by itself wasn't the solution.
If you have a moldy smell after 5 liters(!) of rubbing alcohol you have
not found the root problem.
Acid gases?? oil vapors?? soot?? I don't have these problems, What
happened to your car to cause this?????
Do you have an exhaust leak?
How about some data! what car do you drive?

Confused again.....
Bill

sambo

TDI
2000 A4
Hmmm, I think I see the problem. I posted under "interior cabin filter" without looking to see it was for A5 TDI's. Mine's a 2000 A4. It looked like the previous owner had their mechanic tear the flap off the A/C drain cover so I'm not the first person to notice the bad air. The vaporized fuel was coming from cracked fuel return lines at the engine (not very durable - replaced it with NAPA fuel hose). Just glad I found this site. Every time I have a problem (too often) I'm back here searching for ways to fix it.

tdi4mpg

TDI
2006 Jetta 5-speed
Just did my filter this morning. It was in pretty good shape, but there were small leaves and seeds caught in the grooves.

TerribleTDI

TDI
06 VW Jetta TDi, DSG, PKG 1, North Sea Green
Just did it tonight. Found a few seeds etc and came out filthy. Man is that thing tucked away deep within the depths of TDi. Had to get braver than what I'd imagine to find that thing. Wouldve never guessed on its location.
Over engineering defined:rolleyes: .

ka9ppa

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI w/manual 5 spd.
Although I have a wonderful 2003 Jetta TDI and I changed my pollen filter just last week, my daughter has a 1997 VW Cabrio, --we have been trying to change pollen filter today, but cannot find it(!) We have looked in the trough below the windshield on both the left and right sides; nothing leads us to a pollen filter (panel, etc). Can anyone help us? Directions and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
please post in the correct forum - this is for A5 - 2005.5 and newer...

ka9ppa said:
Although I have a wonderful 2003 Jetta TDI and I changed my pollen filter just last week, my daughter has a 1997 VW Cabrio, --we have been trying to change pollen filter today, but cannot find it(!) We have looked in the trough below the windshield on both the left and right sides; nothing leads us to a pollen filter (panel, etc). Can anyone help us? Directions and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

guitarandy

TDI
06 Jetta
eyetdiman said:
That smelly stuf is mold that has grown on the AC coolant plates. This happens when the AC is shut down and the plates are still wet.

To remedy the problem you can shoot some Lysol mildew spray into the air intake while the blower fan is on high. Repeated several times, this will usually take care of it.

Where is the air intake?

Keyone

TDI
2006 Jetta
eyetdiman said:

Where is the air intake?
I also have this question. Where is the intake exactly? Are we talking about the indoor air intake, which I think is right in front of the cabin filter (under the passenger dash)? Or is it something under the hood?