Interesting Observation

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
2014 SE... 16k miles.

Summer (Hankooks) tires off yesterday and winter tires on. Also Hankooks. Easy to do since I have two sets of wheels. Tires aired up to just over 40 psi.

Some here have complained about a slight pull to the right with their NMS. Lately with my summer tires I've noticed an ever so slight tendency to drift (not pull) to the right. Since the tires were wearing well and the drift so slight I've really not thought much of it. All the same this is something that has developed just over the last couple thousand miles.

Later yesterday a trip to Salmanca, NY. Windy conditions and cold. Traces of snow over the higher elevations. (And lots of higher elevations.) To say that I'm surprised and delighted with the following is an understatement.

No more drift. The snows are more sensitive to crosswinds as might be expected. Ride is a bit stiffer and the noise level slightly more than the summer tires. This leads me to wonder if the combination of more pliant sidewalls on summer tires combined with an already sensitive steering system may be at the root of some of our complaints.

Economy... This is where I'm truly surprised. Given the elevation changes this trip is not usually one that returns stellar fuel economy. I figure around 47 mpg on a nice summer day. If we take the SEL we'll usually get dinged for an additional one or two mpg.

Yesterday with snow boots on, temps hovering in the upper 30's and low 40's, and with windy conditions we pushed over 50 mpg in both directions. Pretty amazing and the opposite of what I would normally expect.

I'm beginning to believe that tires more than anything else might be at the root that slight "pull" some members are experiencing. Tires may often defy what we believe to be logical. After all it's not logical for a snow tire to outperform a summer tire when it comes to economy. One would think just the opposite.

On the other hand it does make some sense that a heavier stiffer tire might be less inclined to follow a slight road crown. Further, there's logic in the fact that a more open tread would be more sensitive to a crosswind. And by this I don't mean to imply skittish, just sensitive to puffs of wind with good feedback from the steering system.

Take the above for what it's worth. I'm certainly not claiming that I have THE answer here or that my experience will be common to every NMS. For all I know I happened on an especially potent load of fuel and the winds were always blowing from my right. Who knows?;)

1texansfan1

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Premium "Silver "
I do like the logic- will wait to see if it is repeatable. I have the conti s on and no need for winter tires I Texas. I too have been amazed at elevation milage. Gotta love diesel!!

NV29er

TDI
none
2014 SE... 16k miles.

Summer (Hankooks) tires off yesterday and winter tires on. Also Hankooks. Easy to do since I have two sets of wheels. Tires aired up to just over 40 psi.
40 psi seems WAY high for snow tire pressure. I would recommend running them around 32-34 psi. At higher pressure they don't grip properly, regardless of regular or snows. Also ride quality suffers.

Just my observations for tires in snow country over the last 17 years.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
NV,

I'm not exactly unfamiliar with snow having been brought up in northern NY. Believe me, you don't have a corner on cold or snow. And I have fifty driving seasons in snow country versus your seventeen.

Tire pressure? Hankook says 44 psi max. Since traction (total possible traction) isn't the issue right now I elected to run the pressure up to just a tad over 40 psi. Ride quality is not disagreeable as would have immediately been pointed out by my copilot.

In really adverse conditions it's relatively easy to air down a set of tires. Usually not too easy to do the reverse. Then again, perhaps it would be best not to subject yourself or your car to such conditions if at all possible.

In no way am I suggesting that I have THE answer to anything. I was merely curious and had the opportunity to experiment. NMS drift (pull) aside, it was more about what I might expect from a rather heavily lugged tire versus the OEM Hankooks. And by the way, the Contis on our SEL ride about the same as these snows.

My conclusion so far is as I originally posted. Tendency to "drift" slightly off the crown of the road is all but gone. This drove home how sensitive our NMS steering really is. Ride is a bit firmer than with summer sneakers. Noise is also slightly increased, but certainly nothing worthy of complaint. Mostly noticeable at slow speeds.

And then economy... I would have expected a measurable negative impact. One of the things we NMW owners are aware of is weather. Even heavy rain will increase rolling resistance and reduce fuel economy. Combine rain and wind, then add cold weather and poorer quality fuel, and we take a fair hit.

We here in NY are already enjoying winter fuel. We're also at the time of year when we go from summer-like days to hard winter in the span of 24 hours. On the nice days we don't suffer too much from winter fuel and on the winter days we all know the penalty we'll pay.

My point in all of this is to say that apparently the tread pattern of a tire isn't of as much significance as I might have thought. The same may be said for the heavier construction of the winter tires as I would have expected increased rolling resistance. This observation, of course, on clean roads as snow and slush will certainly change the picture.

I'd conclude based on the above that I'd not hesitate to mount tires appropriate to the season for fear of greatly reduced economy or a harsh ride. I'd also not pay a premium for low rolling resistance tires as it appears our cars are more affected by external conditions rather than by our tires, other than to say that tire pressure appears to be critical. This assuming we don't get crazy with wider tires than normal.

Again... Just my observations. Take them for what they may be worth. Be safe and don't end up tail first in a snowbank.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Nord,

I have noticed slight drift on my Hankooks as they wore. The drift became noticeable at about 5/32nd's of tread.. I initially thought it was related to roads with a more sever crown, because it seemed to come and go. I did drop by the shop to check alignment when I noticed it, but everything checked out. They are about down to 2/32nds and my new skins are at my tire guy's shop. I just need to get the car there to get them mounted. Which based on today's weather here in MN, I need to get done this week!! Old man winter returned with a vengeance. I'll be curious to see if I have a similar "correction" to the drift.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Nord,

As a follow-up. I have my new tires on, and although only a few hundred miles so far, the drift has disappeared.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Two observations;

1. No one thinks the OEM Hankooks are worth a dime, what makes you think that they couldn't be part of the drift/pull problem?

2. I agree with NV29er, 40 PSI seems high for optimum traction, even if the sidewall said 60 PSI.i

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Makes you wonder doesn't it?
It does. And, although I certainly agree with psd1 in that we are all fairly agreeable that the stock Hankooks are a poor tire, my tire wear was identical at all four corners with regular rotations. Its certainly an outlier in statistical probability... Yet it seems to play out in this case, although the sample size is limited ;)

As far as the "raging" tire pressure debate. To each his own. I tend to do the same until we get into heavier snow conditions at which point I will drop the pressure to the mid 30's. Minnesota, much like NY, receive our share of the white stuff. After 25 seasons of driving in it, I still consider each season a bit of an experiment in squeezing out the best handling (primarily braking) with my tire set-up whether riding on all-seasons or snows.