Interesting direction for VW

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I really wonder about the cognitive ability of writers who complain about the cheaper cars in a manufacturer's stable not having all the bells and whistles that the high end cars do. Really? Are they serious about a CC not having as many gee-gaws as an Audi being a bad thing?

I am not in marketing because I just don't think that way. I say the wrong things and sometimes turn people off - so I don't do it. But I understand why a lot of things happen as they do in planning product offerings. What the writers display is a lack of any sense whatsoever.

Having said that, a lack of digital toys in my cars is exactly what I need. I can repair/replace any plug in device (e.g. my wife's GPS) when it goes bad without having to visit the local volk$wagen dealer and paying silly premiums just to have a vw logo on the device.

For me, sound is good enough. A GPS is OK on occasion. Since I'm nearly always by myself, (no kids to entertain) all of my needs are met.

rmalone68

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
Im with you, I dont care for doo dads/toys in the car. My phone is just fine for gps or my age old garmin. I dont need the headlights to turn on automatically. I dont need a subwoofer in the back. I sure dont need internet connectivity, again my phone does that. Now a toilet, perhaps I could use.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The thing is, VW isn't really supposed to be the "cheaper" brand in the stable.

The structure is supposed to be:

Bugatti on top
Bentley for comfortable luxury (against Rolls-Royce and Maybach), Lamborghini for sport (against Ferrari)
VW for comfortable premium (against Mercedes-Benz), Audi for sport premium (against BMW)
Skoda for comfortable budget, SEAT for sport budget

Of course, without Skoda or SEAT, that strategy did break down in the US, and IIRC it doesn't exactly work 100% even in Europe, but that was the intent.

So, in the perspective of that, a VW having less equipment actually is odd.

In any case, this is the strategy I'm seeing now, for VW in the US:

Bugatti, Bentley, and Lamborghini where they are
Audi for premium/luxury against BMW and Mercedes-Benz, with a sporty bias
VW split into two "sides":
Golf, Eos, CC, and Touareg in the German premium branch, against the lower-end Mercedes products, as well as the nicer Japanese, Korean, and American products
Jetta, Passat, and upcoming three-row crossover in the American cheap branch, against the mainstream Japanese, Korean, and American products

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
......In any case, this is the strategy I'm seeing now, for VW in the US:

Bugatti, Bentley, and Lamborghini where they are
Audi for premium/luxury against BMW and Mercedes-Benz, with a sporty bias
VW split into two "sides":
Golf, Eos, CC, and Touareg in the German premium branch, against the lower-end Mercedes products, as well as the nicer Japanese, Korean, and American products
Jetta, Passat, and upcoming three-row crossover in the American cheap branch, against the mainstream Japanese, Korean, and American products
Well, they need to tell the American Public this. Due primarily to the small "size" of the Golf, it is perceived as a low end sub-compact vehicle (equipment is irrelevant). The Jetta occupies the middle and the Passat the top end for the VW name badge (car wise). Then comes Audi ......

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well, they need to tell the American Public this. Due primarily to the small "size" of the Golf, it is perceived as a low end sub-compact vehicle (equipment is irrelevant). The Jetta occupies the middle and the Passat the top end for the VW name badge (car wise). Then comes Audi ......
Quebec seems to understand a bit better. More small cars here, more premium small cars and tons of Golfs. Probably highest percentage of Golfs as a proportion of population anywhere in Canada and the US.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
VW is looked at as ECO, with nice interior and good looks. But its because they have lack luster powerplants vs the competition. Audi is just upgraded interior, nicer looks (imho), but again lack luster powerplants. I'm back to VAG because I wanted a TDI setup, but if I was going for gasoline, I wouldnt be driving a VAG...The 2.0t needs some serious improvements, in the seqment the GTI competes in for example, it is about time that VAg moves its gDI turbo's up in some power. They do interiors nicely though :)

Last edited: