Intercooler Pipe Routing - Ditch the pancake pipe?

Rgroves231

TDI
2003 Jetta
I am going to be installing a front mount intercooler very soon and have been exploring different routing options. I have already ordered a PD130 intake (gearbox facing) so I do not have to back track from my intercooler(outlet on drivers side). Going to be using 2.5" IC piping with my GTB2260VKLR. My question stems from the attached photo. I feel that the pancake pipe is a large restriction compared to the rest of the IC piping system. In the attached photo, the person seems to have routed out of compressor up to the area where the charge pipe would normally connect to the intake.

My question is, do you guys think this design is superior to the pancake pipe from a 1.8t? From what I can see, it looks like it would look have much less restriction.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You're no where near the limits of the stock IC and its pipes. Leave it, go with more boost and fuel until your happy or find egts are too high.

Rgroves231

TDI
2003 Jetta
I am already down the road so its not really an option to keep the stock piping. Also, I thought I read that anything over 28lbs you should not be using the stock plastic pipes. I do not know how much truth there is to that statement. I just want to build the most dependable free flowing FMIC system to help with turbo lag. Maybe I am thinking about this incorrectly? I get it probably wont make much of a difference but trying to be as efficient as possible everywhere I can.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yea if you run higher than like 25 you should go to a metal piping. Make sure you clean it out on the inside.
Forget about boost lag or whatever you want to call it vs sizing of the ic. The head ports are by far the smallest part and the largest restriction. Let alone the intake manifold. So unless you port and there isnt much to work with.

Rgroves231

TDI
2003 Jetta
I purchased a modified PD130 intake where they cut the top part off and weld an aluminum plenum on it. I plan to do headwork down the road. What do you mean by clean it out on the inside? Like the slag from welding? Also, think 2.5" will be adequate for IC piping? End goal is who knows. I will eventually utilize full potential of this turbo charger. Thanks for your help.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
In the interests of flow, the internal walls should be as smooth as possible, no lumps or bumps at the welds.
You could get creative with a flexible shaft and polish them. Make a difference? Probably unnoticeable.

Rgroves231

TDI
2003 Jetta
Thanks for your help everyone.

Does anyone see any pitfall to removing the pancake pipe and routing the charge pipe up near the old intake path?

Will 2.5" IC piping be sufficient for this turbo at full performance?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI

Go with the biggest and best flowing intake and exhaust parts you can find / fit / afford .

Better flow / less restriction will help efficiency (i.e. MPGs) , reduce EGT , and usually sound nicer and looks nicer.

Power can in theory be improved as well with more fuel.

I went with 3" exhaust and , while it may not make more power , I do get more MPGs at part throttle ... I'm sure EGT went down too but I don't have a pyro at the moment ( I don't drive the car hard enough or have enough real mods to make a difference as far a EGT tho).

Andrew

Nemo312

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI
Also just my 2 cents, I installed darkside hard pipework kit in my mk6 golf and it was not an easy install. It was really difficult to get the piping to fit well and not interfere with the intake or hit my shift linkage. Also dealt with a long term boost leak at turbo outlet only after swapping to silicone fittings. All good now! But a pain in the but for a while. We do not have a lot of space in our engine bays.