intercooler frozen

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
Question, has anyone paid to have the upgrade? Even if their vw didnt have an intercooler frozen issue?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Probably so. List price on the kit is $460, and I estimate maybe 3 hours labor. I have one here, but have not yet installed it. Looking for someone to sell it to.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I was quoted 1400 to install the IC upgrade on my golf but convinced them to install it for free. Then I got a passat so no more worries .

cmeller

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
I just has this issue and had the dealer thaw it out and clear out any water. It's running fine and I'm hoping if I just clear it out every 20k or so I should be fine. One issue in 50k doesn't cause me to want to pay 1300+ on a kit install.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I just has this issue and had the dealer thaw it out and clear out any water. It's running fine and I'm hoping if I just clear it out every 20k or so I should be fine. One issue in 50k doesn't cause me to want to pay 1300+ on a kit install.
If you push there is a good chance you could get it installed at no cost. It is an issue that VW is well aware of and they created so they should pay for the fix.

bmonob

TDI
2015 vw golf sportwagen s tdi manual,2011 vw jetta sportwagen tdi manual bought back
I just had the inter cooler kit installed last wed..I told the dealer that I had a hard start last week and there was probably water in the IC. They found water in the IC and they got approval from VW America .The IC kit was installed the next day.I was very happy with the dealers service.Tell them your own story it could get you a new IC kit

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
I had to convince them, but I got it too. It happened twice to me. First time I think it was too early, before anyone knew the problem.... second time i had heard about it. Told them what happened, but they said that was not under the powertrain warranty, only bumper-bumper. I asked them if they would prefer to replace an engine after I throw a rod from hydrolocking. I asked them if they thought it was perfectly normal to ingest water into my engine, but NOT consider that a powertrain issue? They called VWoA and took care of it.... then I deleted my EGR and negated any of their work (not on purpose of course, I was appreciative of their work.

steelers

TDI
2011 Jetta
I have the fix on my 2011 but I am still getting water in the intercooler line. Not sure if it is less than before the fix but there is still enough to cause rough running on start up.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
I have the fix on my 2011 but I am still getting water in the intercooler line. Not sure if it is less than before the fix but there is still enough to cause rough running on start up.
Did VW of Canada paid for it?

steelers

TDI
2011 Jetta
Yes but I was still under warranty. It was installed last winter. I was on the wait list to get it installed. One day it wouldn't start at all so once I got it started I told them they could keep it until I got the kit. They provide me a car and I had the the kit installed within 2 weeks. No problems last winter. 2 weeks ago I did my oil change and checked the pipe, dry. Then the temperature swings and rough idle. I checked the pipe again, water and ice. Now I am investigating the drain 2micron has developed.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
Cool, thanks. When I told the dealer about frozen intercoolers, they downplayed it. (It only happened to two 2009 cars, and all newer cars were fine, he said, well...bs I thought)
I've had rough idles in the last few weeks and I'm considering pushing them to install the intercoolers kits under warranty. I'm going to start to video tape the car when it idles a bit rough and show it to them, since the car doesn't throw a CEL.
Three weeks ago, I had to start the car three times before the idle was normal, sounded like it was misfiring (unbalanced?), then while pulling out of the driveway, it had no power.

steelers

TDI
2011 Jetta
Sounds like the intercooler. I had those symptoms 2 or 3 times until it wouldn't start at all one Sunday morning. Needless to say I was not happy (the car was only 3 months old). I went through VW Canada as well to push the issue. Like I said earlier I don't know if it actually fixed anything. I was going to send a picture to VW Canada this week to show what was inside the intercooler pipe, again.