Interchangebility of gear selectors, 02J

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
For more positive shifting, I want to use an 02J gear selector in an 02A transmission. I hear that the 02J gear selector will fit the 02A transmission. However, the 02J used at least two gear selectors—one with ball ends for the shifter cables, and a second with clips to retain the shift cable ends to the selector levers.

The earlier gear selector—with ball-end attachment for shift cables—has a flat on the shaft that fits into the bottom of the trans case.

The later gear selector—with clips that retain the shift cables—has no flat on the shaft that fits into the bottom of the trans case. Instead that shaft has a couple grooves around its circumference.

Are these gear selectors interchangeable?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I know the 02Js can be swapped back and forth, I've done it. As for swapping into a 02A,ivr heard it's a common upgrade as well.

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
If you know the two 02J gear selectors can be interchanged, it's almost certain that they will both work in an 02A trans…

Bret2094

TDI
1999.5 Jetta , 2002 Jetta,2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Wagon Non sunroof
My 1999.5 had the older 02A trans with leftover shifter bits from the mk3 days. It had horrible slop and I wanted to upgrade to the 02J box and get one of DieselGeek's short shifters. Either 02J revision will work, but there was a cutoff for different designs. 00-2001 IIRC and 2002-2005/6. I grabbed the shift tower, shifter box and reverse plug. Fairly sure either cable end design works interchangeably. Definitely ditch the 02A stuff. Too many moving parts made of fragile plastic. Do your self a favor and rebuild the shifter box while it is out of the car.