Intake questions

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I have a tune for a colt stage 2 cam, 1019 nozzles, S7 turbo bigger side mount intercooler, 3 inch turbo back exhaust.

Has anyone added an intake without a retune? Local parts yard had a bucket day (anything up to the handle is 20 bux) and I picked an intake from a BRM. Would there be any adverse results if I did.

Will the S7 turbo make enough boost to need head studs? I'd like to grab some and put my 11mm pump back on with this intake and get the tune updated.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
There’s a thread on here ( recent ) about the flow characteristics of the alh , bew and brm.
It shows that the BRM flows the best between the three, has graphs, pictures and arrows .

I’m sorry but I don’t know the rest, arp studs wouldn’t hurt, I’m sure with what your putting in there it will cause the head to float.......nip that in the bud now before you have a head gasket leak......

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
There’s a thread on here ( recent ) about the flow characteristics of the alh , bew and brm.
It shows that the BRM flows the best between the three, has graphs, pictures and arrows .

I’m sorry but I don’t know the rest, arp studs wouldn’t hurt, I’m sure with what your putting in there it will cause the head to float.......nip that in the bud now before you have a head gasket leak......
I have been stalking the yards and was excited when this 06 showed up, nervous because it's been there for a month.

I've wanted one of these since I saw that forum but am curious if it'll flow enough to cause cylinder pressures high enough to lift the head.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
No it won't lift the head. It will help lower egts a little and flow evenly to each cylinder. That's the most you'll see. Still worth it in my opinion.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
No it won't lift the head. It will help lower egts a little and flow evenly to each cylinder. That's the most you'll see. Still worth it in my opinion.
I gave up hope that I'd find one in a salvage yard until Thursday...and then the bucket sale...I also got the ASV and EGR valve and charge pipe for 20 bucks...I'll have to mock it up and see if it'll all fit or if I need to make a race pipe for it

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're already egr deleted, you can try running the ASV/EGR valve, it should work, just block off the egr port on the bottom of the valve. Or make it a stealth valve. Just keep in mind if you're not egr deleted, there's no mounting studs for the egr cooler on the intake.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
If you're already egr deleted, you can try running the ASV/EGR valve, it should work, just block off the egr port on the bottom of the valve. Or make it a stealth valve. Just keep in mind if you're not egr deleted, there's no mounting studs for the egr cooler on the intake.
Isn't the EGR valve normally closed? My tune was a delete tune so I may give it a try, I still have to swap the cam over too

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is yes, but on an ALH, under certain conditions the boost pressures can open the valve, especially if the diaphragm is leaking oil. Path for the boost to push the valve open.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It is yes, but on an ALH, under certain conditions the boost pressures can open the valve, especially if the diaphragm is leaking oil. Path for the boost to push the valve open.
Ahh, I see... hopefully I have another block off plate...it may be a while before I get this done too, fixing a trailer for my parents upcoming move, the move and then school starts... hopefully

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
And for the record, I hate working on a BRM!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And for the record, I hate working on a BRM!

OH yeah they suck. When I pulled mine at the wrecking yard, I unbolted the engine and rolled it forward for access haha

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"Has anyone added an intake without a retune?"

Yes, though I did have to re-adjust the IQ. The increase in fuel flow after going
to a PD150 intake was remarkable, IIRC it was 4-5 points. Tires spinning
and lots of smoke on WOT. Dialed the IQ right back and all is well.

So after install check your timing and and be prepared to play with fuelling.
Going to the upgraded SMIC, and EGR delete with racepipe both needed
some tweaking, but the big improvement was the intake.

Knowing what I do now, I would have searched for the better flowing BRM.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
"Has anyone added an intake without a retune?"

Yes, though I did have to re-adjust the IQ. The increase in fuel flow after going
to a PD150 intake was remarkable, IIRC it was 4-5 points. Tires spinning
and lots of smoke on WOT. Dialed the IQ right back and all is well.

So after install check your timing and and be prepared to play with fuelling.
Going to the upgraded SMIC, and EGR delete with racepipe both needed
some tweaking, but the big improvement was the intake.

Knowing what I do now, I would have searched for the better flowing BRM.
I felt stupid when I threw a bunch of parts at this thing and completely overlooked the intake.

I think I will swap the colt stage 2 cam into this car when I do the intake, no sense in taking the pipes off twice...I still have rear bushings to do...lots of stuff to do come fall when it cools off