Intake clogging in 10k Miles using BioD & 507.00

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Last edited:

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
unfortunately, i don't know. luckily, you have some super-mechanics contributing to the thread and i hope with there help you will get to the bottom of it. please let me know when you do.

i am certain that it's NOT oil related. your TDI holds a measly 5 liters of oil. for the source of that type of buildup to be your motor oil fully 1/2 of the volume of your oil would have to be converted from liquid to EGR and intake deposits.

in contrast, during 10,000 miles your TDI burned roughly 1,000 liters of diesel fuel. i'd bet the house that the source of the deposits is fuel - not oil - though i cannot explain the why...

how much oil did the car use (burn or lose) over the last 10k?

sorry to hear of these troubles and i hope things get worked out well for you.

have a great weekend and let me know if i can help.

cheers!

hutchman said:
Check out the post I made in my thread where I'm rebuilding my ALH motor http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=140317

Towards the end I have picts of the intake and EGR posted (here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1346867&postcount=46) which were cleaned when I got the car 10k miles ago and then started using 507.00 oil, B20-30, and the highest cetane fuel I could find.

Any thoughts as to what could have caused this buildup to be this type of consistancy?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
hutch- did you consume any oil? Was your milage down noticably?
Anyone- if this is fuel, how does so much unburnt fuel get into the exhaust?

Will a UOA do any good with the motor in its current state?

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
I'd say I had to add maybe 1/8 to maybe 1/4 of a liter since the last oil change 10k ago.

Car gets 40-47MPG.

Could it be some weird combo of my fuel mix of PS & BioD, and the oil?

Has anyone's intake had this gooey stuff in it before?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Certainly there have been other intakes shown with the gooey stuff. But never one (that I'm aware of) with the high quality fluids you are using.

That doesn't sound like an inordinate amount of oil usage. That leads me to believe it is fuel. So how does raw fuel get there?

Has your milage gone down noticably?

can you get a UOA to see how much fuel is in your oil?

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
As soon as I get the motor rebuilt and running again I'll run it long enough to get to normal temp and then do a oil change and put in the Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W30 and send off a UOA on the 507.00 that was in it.

I've been doing UOA's every oil change on both cars and posting them to SUNRG's OA thread.

Mileage has been about the same. Previous owner said it would get right at 50 but I haven't been able to hit 50. It was his wifes car and he said he couldn't get the mileage out of it she could either which makes me think it was shifted early etc. Since I've had it, I've been running it. I'm also going to do a compression test on it once I get it back together and I'll post those findings.

Last edited: