Intake cleaning

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I was going to bring my intake for my ALH to get it cleaned at a place that chemically cleans aluminum in a bath before it gets plated. Anyone ever done this before? It was a plating place that recommended the place where I would have this done. Thx.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
I would think the place would have to charge too much , 1 reason is that chemical dip would be wasted by one manifold , have to change it out for the next parts , the bath is not made to do this - clean all the carbon , oil & fuel .
2nd is how easy is to just burn it out , do a search on YouTube - flames coming out of manifold , is all it takes is get lit / enough heat to start the burn and then compressed air , set the propane / mapp gas torch aside - when chunks & flame stop coming out - it's clean ;)

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Huh? This will go into a large bath with other parts that need to be cleaned. They do batches throughout the day and I would just throw in my other part in there with other items into one bath. They're gonna charge me $30 to do this.

Second, I'm going to be doing this while my timing belt is being changed, and a shop is doing it. I don't trust myself to do a TB job on an ALH. Besides, don't have the lock tools needed. The mechanic won't do it, but he was happy to take it off and hand it to me in the middle of the job where I can take it somewhere to be cleaned. I don't have access to compressed air either.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
It all depends where you go & what work they do , the places I know , the cleaning is minor compared to our manifolds .
And would spoil there tank for the average stuff they do .

You found a good deal it would seem .

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Don’t forget to clean the runners in the head. You could pop the cam out while the belt is off to make it a bit easier.

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I'll be sure to tell the mechanic that's doing this to do that. He had no problem cleaning out EGR (yes I still have that in, I live in California and I will fail smog if I delete it), I imagine that these "runners" are right under the valve cover?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

If you do decide to burn the manifold to clean it you might still want to wire brush the insides because you will be surprised that crumbs can and probably will fall out ...

a TDI Guru told me if the crumbs of carbon get in the wrong places you could stick a valve open and cause problems so even in burning intakes clean double check to make sure nothing's left inside ...

Andrew

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Honestly with how long it takes to clean an intake manifold, it's almost more efficient to just buy a replacement. I've cleaned four. They're awful. Also, in the same boat about the EGR valve.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
You can soak them in degreaser like zep industrial purple and pressure wash it out and use some different picks to get to all of it, but for 30 bucks, id have them tank it. It takes a while to clean one however you do it

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I'll be sure to tell the mechanic that's doing this to do that. He had no problem cleaning out EGR (yes I still have that in, I live in California and I will fail smog if I delete it), I imagine that these "runners" are right under the valve cover?
The runners are from where the intake manifold bolts to the head to the valve. It's a pain to clean. I usually use some sort of scrapping tool (flat screw driver etc) and compressed air to blow the crud out. The valve MUST be closed, that's why I suggested pulling the cam. It makes a huge mess on the firewall.