Intake cleaning on A5/MkV?

TVguy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG, package 1, CWP
Has anyone else done the intake cleaning on an A5/MkV Jetta or Golf?

I'm seeing conflicting information regarding this subject. One dealer says it should be done at 40,000 service, another says it should be done at 20,000. I doubt either one has done it on a A5/MkV before.

I checked my owners booklet, and it doesn't even mention the procedure under the details of any service up to and including 100,000 miles!

When I reviewed the FAQ: http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#g it mentions mainly A3, A4, B4 models and goes to great lengths to describe a modification to CCV and EGR to avoid the problem.

Somewhere else I read that the A5/MkV engine had major changes to the CCV/EGR system and the mod's were no longer applicable. Does that mean the changes have alieviated the need for so frequent intake cleaning?

How often should intake cleaning be done on the A5/MkV engine?

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
I clean mine daily, as I drive it. Keep the RPMs between 2000 and 3500, and it will do a nice job of keeping the intake clean.
(I drive TipTronic DSG)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Read around the site a little more....
I've read that it needs cleaning anywhere between 40k and 100k miles; or that power drops off (engine can't breathe).

HTH

Tony

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
It's not really a regular maint. item, it's really, as Tony said, when you start losing power. If you drive it like Tim said, you should probably be good for a long, long time... ULSD might make intake cleanings a thing of the past, too (or so I've read...)

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Tim Birney said:
I clean mine daily, as I drive it. Keep the RPMs between 2000 and 3500, and it will do a nice job of keeping the intake clean.
(I drive TipTronic DSG)
A low blend of biod should help also.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
No.

I would be thinking of this around 60kmiles.

However, we'll have to see what people report on the A5s since they haven't been around that long.

TVguy

TDI
Thanks for all the replies. The dealer was including it "automatically" at every 20K service. I declined this time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That recommendation is about revenue generation for the dealer, not mechanical need. If you drive 'properly' your intake should be OK even after 100K. Mine was. And now with ULSD and the proper oil you may never need to clean it. Well, maybe not never, but not for a long, long time.

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
scknight said:
You are at 60,000 miles on a 2005.5 Jetta??
I'm at 26,850 on my 2005.5 A5 DSG. Getting very close for a set of tires! --Just about down to the wear bars!!!!

I too get on the motor at least 1-2 times a day to clean it out!

No issues since I took delivery 1 year ago.

Later..

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
kstef said:
I'm at 26,850 on my 2005.5 A5 DSG. Getting very close for a set of tires! --Just about down to the wear bars!!!!

Later..
Which tires does it have?

I'm at 45,000 miles on the original Michelins. Still another 20,000 miles on them I'd say.

fixer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5/Jetta/5M/Reflex Silver
kstef said:

Later..
What tire pressure do you run?

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
TVguy said:
Has anyone else done the intake cleaning on an A5/MkV Jetta or Golf?

I'm seeing conflicting information regarding this subject. One dealer says it should be done at 40,000 service, another says it should be done at 20,000. I doubt either one has done it on a A5/MkV before.

I checked my owners booklet, and it doesn't even mention the procedure under the details of any service up to and including 100,000 miles!

When I reviewed the FAQ: http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#g it mentions mainly A3, A4, B4 models and goes to great lengths to describe a modification to CCV and EGR to avoid the problem.

Somewhere else I read that the A5/MkV engine had major changes to the CCV/EGR system and the mod's were no longer applicable. Does that mean the changes have alieviated the need for so frequent intake cleaning?

How often should intake cleaning be done on the A5/MkV engine?
I do my intake cleaning every day. I drive between 2K and 3.5K every time I go somewhere, keeps the intake clean as a whistle.
(MPGs go up also)

Strack

Veteran Member
If our A5's ever require intake cleaning, I'm going to considere the B&G intake cleaning system. It takes about an hour and a half withno need to take the engine apart either. Just change the oil and filter afterwards and you're good as new. I too step on the pedal to blow any carbon/soot out of the engine daily, so hopefully this problem will be moot....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
TVguy said:
Thanks for all the replies. The dealer was including it "automatically" at every 20K service. I declined this time.
So do you know what this "cleaning" was? (other than cleaning money from your wallet)

Were they going to remove the intake and clean it, or were they going to use a product that would clean the intake while they pour some stuff in it while running?

Also, how did the subject come up at the dealer? Did you ask them about it, or did they approach you about it?

Lastly, how many miles on your car now?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Strack said:
If our A5's ever require intake cleaning, I'm going to considere the B&G intake cleaning system. It takes about an hour and a half withno need to take the engine apart either. Just change the oil and filter afterwards and you're good as new. I too step on the pedal to blow any carbon/soot out of the engine daily, so hopefully this problem will be moot....
I thought I read here somewhere that this product had been discontinued.

flipside

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Strack said:
I would read more info regarding B&G and TDI. You risk hydrolocking using this product.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I believe this product was recalled. IMO it suffered from user issues: trying to clean intakes that were too dirty for the treatment, and not following instructions for cleaining exactly. I had Mr. Chill do this cleaning on my not-very-dirty intake at 98K; the B&G rep was there. I experienced a noticeable bump in performance, and I think it's largely because the turbo inlet and exhaust, as well as the CAT, get cleaned with this treatment. That was 34K ago and my car runs great. Mr. Chill has used this on several other cars, including his own.

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
Bob_Fout said:
Which tires does it have?

I'm at 45,000 miles on the original Michelins. Still another 20,000 miles on them I'd say.
Michelins @32psi.

Just had is inspected and the tires are 4/32". They were 9/32 when new(It could have been 8/32")

I guess the twisty road do cut down on tire life....:mad:

TVguy

TDI
whitedog said:
So do you know what this "cleaning" was? (other than cleaning money from your wallet)
I really don't know for sure, mostly cleaning out the wallet I assumed. They simply described it as "intake cleaning"...

whitedog said:
Were they going to remove the intake and clean it, or were they going to use a product that would clean the intake while they pour some stuff in it while running?
I can't be sure. But for only an extra $100, I have to imagine there were short-cuts involved.

whitedog said:
Also, how did the subject come up at the dealer? Did you ask them about it, or did they approach you about it?
I asked. I ask a lot of questions. I had so much trouble with the first dealer, I had to try someone else. I asked for a detailed list of what they wanted to do and compared that to what was in my owner's book. When I got the final reciept I found some additional items I coudn't identify. Turns out one was a fuel additive and the other was an oil additive. (The later worries me a bit; what do you need with the 505.01?)

whitedog said:
Lastly, how many miles on your car now?
Just over 24,000.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
TVguy said:
I really don't know for sure, mostly cleaning out the wallet I assumed. They simply described it as "intake cleaning"...

I can't be sure. But for only an extra $100, I have to imagine there were short-cuts involved.

It certainly wasn't an intake removal, so it was probably an unneeded washing.

I asked. I ask a lot of questions. I had so much trouble with the first dealer, I had to try someone else. I asked for a detailed list of what they wanted to do and compared that to what was in my owner's book. When I got the final reciept I found some additional items I coudn't identify. Turns out one was a fuel additive and the other was an oil additive. (The later worries me a bit; what do you need with the 505.01?)

Run, Forrest, run. Run from this dealer as well. See below for a good option.

Just over 24,000.
Below:

Try to contact Runonbeer on this site. I think he is in Austin and your car will be taken care of and you won't have that pain in your backside.

TVguy

TDI
whitedog said:
Run, Forrest, run. Run from this dealer as well. See below for a good option.
Try to contact Runonbeer on this site. I think he is in Austin and your car will be taken care of and you won't have that pain in your backside.
Thanks Whitedog. It is frustrating. :mad:
I used to do all my own work on cars and motorcycles, but at this point in my life, I just don't have the time to tinker anymore. I wish there was someone to do the basic stuff I could trust.

Austin Texas is a bit far to go for service. I'm in Boulder County, Colorado.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
TVguy said:
Thanks Whitedog. It is frustrating. :mad:
I used to do all my own work on cars and motorcycles, but at this point in my life, I just don't have the time to tinker anymore. I wish there was someone to do the basic stuff I could trust.

Austin Texas is a bit far to go for service. I'm in Boulder County, Colorado.
Odd, I thought you said you were in Central Texas.

How far is Boulder county Colo. from Denver? scarrol is in that area.

fish_on

TDI
2010 Jetta, White, DSG
scknight said:
You are at 60,000 miles on a 2005.5 Jetta??
Actually today I am at 61,897 the car is 13 months old. I have the original tires (never been rotated) and the brakes are still going strong. Change the oil every 10K the fuel filter every 25K and 2 sets of wipers. I run 1-2 tanks of bio/month (fill 3 tanks/week) and drive it like I stole it. :D

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
fish_on said:
Actually today I am at 61,897 the car is 13 months old. I have the original tires (never been rotated) and the brakes are still going strong. Change the oil every 10K the fuel filter every 25K and 2 sets of wipers. I run 1-2 tanks of bio/month (fill 3 tanks/week) and drive it like I stole it. :D
I suspect you have some unusual tire wear.