Intake cleaning debrief on my new to me A4 (3 500K picts.)

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Picked up a 02 Jetta GLS TDI about two weeks ago.

Bottom line up front .... I cleaned the intake. Is this thing running right??? Read on.

Here are some shots of the intake. Car has 69k miles. Previous owner used Shell Rotella T. Car was driven mostly highway miles. I don't think it was ever driven beyond 3k RPM due to the smoke screen I covered my friend behind me up with as I pulled on to I-40 East and did WOT for the first time! I can say the A4 will smoke a Pacifica!

Intake:

EGR:

The intercooler side of EGR:

Captured logs of the MAF & Turbo at the time I was checking the car out:

Engine Group 3 log of MAF done in 3rd gear:

Engine Group 11 log of Turbo done in 3rd gear:

I noticed the intake was clogged up when I was looking at the car.

When I got the car home, I did several more VAG-COM pulls and I noticed the turbo was overboosting. I was talking to JasonTDI about this and he said the clogged intake was probably doing it.

I cleaned the intake using JasonTDI's pressure washer technique and I can say that it IS THE BOMB! 10 minutes and the thing is clean.

My wife was out running around so I put the intake and EGR in her oven at 225 for 10-15 min. to get the moisture out. She came home as I took the EGR out ... busted!

Cleaned the snow screen too which was pretty bad.

Started right up without any smoke screen! I feel like a real TDI Club member now with my first intake cleaning under my belt.

I think I'm too used to our 06 Jetta ... the PD has way more power or at least it sure feels like it compared to the A4. The A4 turbo just doesn't push you back in the seat like the A5 does .... and this is what concerns me.

Please check out these VAG-COM pulls taken after the intake cleaning and comment on if this looks OK. It looks kind of like the examples on the Ross Tech TDI page:

Engine Group 3 log of MAF after intake cleaning done in 4th gear:

Engine Group 11 log of Turbo after intake cleaning done in 4th gear:

Just want to make sure everything looks OK. I can provide the Excel .csv files if anyone is interested ... just PM me.

Should I pull the battery cable to reset the computers like you have to do on an American car any time you change something so it will "re-learn" quicker the fact it can get some air now???

Should I reset the readiness codes? Actually, I don't see a place to do that ... looks like I can only view them.

Another thing ... the TDI timing checker says at 103 I'm hitting 68-74 and if I watch the comment area in the bottom right hand corner it will say that my timing is too advanced every once in a while. Should I try to get the timing in the middle of the normal to upper range? I plan to run at least B20 and I've read for D2 timing should be more advanced but BioD should be normal or maybe even retarded ... can someone speak to this as well? Or should I just leave it alone since I need to change my TB in 10k miles anyway?

I'm new to the A4 so I'm still feeling it out. Got rid of "Stinkus Ventus" today by running Clean Air Duct Treatment and Lysol through the HVAC air intake plenum. I followed the VW TSB but used the products mentioned instead of the AirSept.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Congrats on cleaning the intake.

Can you edit your photos down to 800x600 pixels? They are way too big to see what is going on.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Sorry! Picts are about 100k now. Hope this is better. Still probably not 800x600 though. If anyone is having problems let me know and I'll pair the pictures down some with a different machine that has better software on it for doing this.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
Can anyone comment on the VAG-COM graphs? Does the data look normal for a A4 5 spd?

To me it looks like the boost has this weird sine wave thing going on. I don't see that on the Ross-Tech example here http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/tdi.html

It doesn't look like the turbo is regulated at 1.9 bar through the RPM band.

What else should I look at with VAG-COM to prove the turbo, MAF etc., are working right?

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The N75 won't do a good job of regulating boost when you go WOT below 2000rpm. Go WOT after that and it won't spike like that. What you are seeing is pretty normal actually. You could try a dawes device or similar to limit the spikes.