Intake cleaning at TDI Fest

PinionTwister

TDI
Jetta, 98, silver
I am hoping to clean the intake manifold on my '98 TDI Jetta at TDI Fest - under the watchful guidance of you experts. I have never done this before. Can someone advise me as to the following:
tools I should bring
parts I should acquire before getting there
Other items I should consider.

From everything I read and based on the way this poor car runs, it sorely needs a cleaning.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave G.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I'll be there, and can look over your shoulder. I'll have my tools, so no issue there.

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/Sballintake/INTAKEMAN101b.htm

Link above to give you an idea of what you need to clean it out. Car above is an A4, though.

Bring coveralls, or some other sacrificial clothing. It's a dirty, nasty job and the clothing WILL get stained. Ditto good handcleaner.

Bruce

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
[mooch] Will there be a kind soul there who would let me borrow his tools because I'm too cheap to go to Sears and get my own? [/mooch]

I would be super appreciative if you would keep an eye on me... keep things from escalating from a snafu to fubar LOL.

-J

PinionTwister

TDI
Jetta, 98, silver
Thanks for all the help. Do I need any gaskets or VW parts before I start? Or can I reuse the intake manifold gasket? just want to make sure I am ready to go.
I have 150,000+ miles on this car and have never cleaned the intake. Has run good until about 6 months ago. Not getting much use lately because of the sluggishness. I am sure the intake could be cleaned. MAF was replaced about 9 months ago so I don't think that is the problem but once we "get under the hood" I will take any and all advice. I don't mind the wrenching, just would like to have experienced eyes looking over my shoulder.
See you all in a couple of weeks.
Dave G.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks for all the help. Do I need any gaskets or VW parts before I start? Or can I reuse the intake manifold gasket?
You'll need a new intake gasket. Replacement bolts for mounting the intake isn't a bad idea either in case they break/get distorted during removal.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Buy the kit from the link below. It's optimally designed for the A4 cars, but works just fine on A3/B4/A4 cars. A3/B4 guys will have the EGR O ring left over. I'll take them as a donation for my supervision!

You will probably have bolts left over, unless you want to put all new ones in. One caveat. Go to the hardware store and get some flat washers slightly larger than the bolt heads. The flat washers on the old bolts are captive, and can't be transferred to the new bolts.

You will also need something to soak the intake in and a cleaning agent. I recommend Castrol Super Clean in the gallon jugs (you will need 2), and the large, disposable turkey roaster pans. Walmart has both items.

Bring an old blanket or beach towel to throw over the hood latch while you're working. That sucker will gouge your belly if you're not careful. Also, if you have a set of plastic ramps, bring 'em. Much easier to do slightly elevated if over 6 foot tall, and the A4 guys will need to be able to get under the car to reattach the air intake to the turbo.

I also recommend one of those little magnetized pans that you put bolts in. Set it on the windshield, and put all bolts in it. Great way to keep all the bits/fasteners in one place.

http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=257235

Remember, I love work! I could watch it all day long!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
So you reccomend replaceing the bolts as well as the gaskets? Hmm, i have a box of bolts in the garage, happen to have a pic of them?

-J

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
The bolts are reusable if you don't strip the heads. If you buy the kit I noted above, you get 6 new bolts with it. I do recommend having at least 2 extra bolts in case you run into trouble. I won't reuse one unless the allen head is perfect, too much chance of problem later on.

You can buy the intake gasket, fibre gasket, bolts, EGR O ring, and metal EGR gaskets separately. I'm just too lazy to look them up right now. Much easier to order the kit for <$20, and have everything you need. Get something else you need (filters?) to defray the shipping.

Ed, thanks, but this is one job that a hoist just doesn't help with, except to reconnect the air intake to the turbo. Takes 2 minutes under the car, easily done with the car on ramps.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
My request for those cleaning their intakes.

Please bring the following:

One set of plastic car ramps. Makes it much easier to reconnect the air intake to the turbo. Also makes it easier to drop the belly pan to retreive lost tools and fasteners.

Two gallons of Castrol Super Clean degreaser, or an equivalent.

A container big enough to soak the intake in. A large disposable aluminum foil turkey pan works fine for one intake. So do some rubbermaid large plastic containers.

The parts you need to do the intake clean. I will have extra bolts, if needed.

Note that I will not bring ANY of these items except the bolts and the proper tools.

Bruce

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
The shop does have a parts washer we can use to soak and clean the intake. They also have hoists so you can lift the car to retrieve parts, and reattach the air intake.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
The shop does have a parts washer we can use to soak and clean the intake. They also have hoists so you can lift the car to retrieve parts, and reattach the air intake.
Outstanding, thanks.

Just bring your intake gaskets and EGR O-ring.

Bludwig

TDI
1999 DkBlu NewBeetle
I'm going to try to clean mine too. Or at least take a look and see what it needs. The last owner was a very nice retired lady. I don't think it ever saw 4K rpms in the 50K miles it has. As per above I'll bring gaskets and oring, and hope for lots of good advice!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hoists are a PITAfor this job. Best done on the ground.

PinionTwister

TDI
Jetta, 98, silver
You guys are great.

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I had a little vacation with the family.

I ordered the gasket kit this morning so I will have it. I will have all other items that you mentioned. My son is coming along to perform the "tough" wrenching and to protect my belly (but I will bring a blanket for him).

I am looking forward to meeting all of you. It will be fun to get the old Jetta working again so I can enjoy the ride.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I will have gaskets. bolts, etc on hand.
I also have new intakes if you don't feel like cleaning

jasonTDI

TDI
Danix,

How much for a spare intake. I need one to cut down swap time.

Thanks

schwechel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Galactic Blue
I know this is a late post, but I would really like to at least take a look at my intake and clean it out as well. I have bought the Castrol, and Gasket Kit, and would appreciate it if someone could watch over my shoulder as well. I don't mind getting dirty and wrenching. It would just be nice to have the advice of someone who has done it before. I also am very limited in the tools that I own. I have a few wrenches that I will bring, but have no ramps. Would I be able to borrow a pair or hopefully get on the hoist. Worst case senario is it possible to do this with a 2002 Jetta if it's not off the ground??? Also are there any other tools that I should bring to clean the intake/EGR or does soaking it break up the gunk enough to just be wiped out??? Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated. THANKS!

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't worry about help, there will be plenty around to assist. As for tools, bring what you have and I'm sure others will lend something as needed. Ramps aren't needed, and we can always roll it on a hoist to lift it up. As for cleaning material, Topel's has a parts washer that can be used. Other than that most people resort to a more "mechanical" removal of the gunk scrapping it out with screwdrives or metal pipe cleaners.

Just make sure you bring a junky set of clothes, because you will get dirty! Check out these Pictures from my last GTG. I think we did around 8 intake cleanings that day. Tom R definitely got the dirtiest of the group!

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
There are 3 sets of hoists, and multiple floor jacks at the shop. And I'm sure atleast a few sets of ramps will show up that could be borrowed. I'd save the space and hassel.

E

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
There are 3 sets of hoists, and multiple floor jacks at the shop. And I'm sure atleast a few sets of ramps will show up that could be borrowed. I'd save the space and hassel.E
If they're plastic, and you have the room, bring 'em. If you're over 6 foot, it's actually easier on the back to clean the intake when the car is on ramps.

I brought all the finer intake cleaning tools. with me. We're covered there.

jasonTDI

TDI
I have the pressure washer too. I just use a jack if necesary as I rarely raise the car.