Insurance help

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
My son was following a porta-potty delivery truck and the driver of the truck went past his destination and decided to back up without looking and backed into the 98 Jetta. The truck driver admitted his error and was issued a written warning for unsafe backing by the police. We got a copy of the police report and 2 estimates, one for 2K one for 3K, (that whole auto body industry is a mystery to me). I contact the poop company and they have me fax all of the paperwork to them. I call a few days later and they tell me that their driver is saying that he was rear-ended. I call their insurance company with the claim number and they ask me to fax the paperwork and they will do an investigation. One thing that they suggest is that I have my insurance handle the claim and they will subjugate(sp?) against them for the charges. I have heard that this is not a good idea as even though their is no fault with my son he will have a mark on his record. If I do this I have no idea how the deductable is handled, plus how do you get a rental car for a 19 year old? Looking for some direction on how to move forward on this from anyone who has experience this, or maybe is in the industry, I get the feeling its going to get difficult. Thanks in advance. Mike

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
I do not know CT law. I can only give you basics. DO you have the police report? Does it show he was given a warning and admitted to backing up? If so, get their insurance on the phone and fax them a copy. Ask them when can you expect to be paid and you may want to mention that your son hasn't been feeling well since the accident. This should get action.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
Have sent the report to them. Statute 14-243(b), written warning unsafe backing. They could make this easy or hard, I guess I'll just have to wait. I'd rather do easy but I can do hard. Mike

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Have sent the report to them. Statute 14-243(b), written warning unsafe backing. They could make this easy or hard, I guess I'll just have to wait. I'd rater do easy but I can do hard. Mike
Like Hevster said, it might be time to mention that your son is complaining about neck pain. This is almost impossible to prove or disprove and potentially very expensive for their insurance company. I once kew a guy with a rare old Mercedes and the other guy's insurance balked at the cost of replacement parts - he briefly mentioned some neck pain, and they settled for the full amount immediately.

Good Luck

Don

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
If you have an insurance agent, call him ASAP and provide him with copies of all paperwork, especially the police report.

You may have to pay the deductible until the other person/ins. company pays up at which time you will be repaid.

This is what ins agents really are for..... not just to sell you the policy.

My own have been very helpful in the past!

Bill

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
If you have an insurance agent, call him ASAP and provide him with copies of all paperwork, especially the police report.

You may have to pay the deductible until the other person/ins. company pays up at which time you will be repaid.

This is what ins agents really are for..... not just to sell you the policy.

My own have been very helpful in the past!

Bill

+1
What happens is that one ins sues the other it will take some time you will get your deductible back. The ins will investigate to make sure there is no fraud.It just happen to a friend of mine it all work out for her.

FYI you pick the repair shop not there ins,They will use junk yard parts.just check make sure OEM parts no knock offs good luck.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Nineteen year old getting a rental? THAT wil be the more difficult issue to resolve. You might find that letting him use your car, and you using the rental, will be less difficult.

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
I had a similar event with my pickup a couple years ago - old man coming home from the bar pulled across in front of me so I t-boned him at 55mph.

Called his insurance company afterward - they said that the accident was 40% my fault (???) and they would pay for 60% of the repair.

Put it all in the hands of my insurance - had the truck fixed and paid my deductible. My insurance company went after the other one in state (Pa) arbitration - they prevailed and I got my deductible back.

I'd say let your insurance company handle it as I did - they have attorneys etc to deal with this kind of stuff all the time.

Edit to add: I also submitted my rental bill after the decision and was paid the entire amount.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Since you're in Central CT, tell them you've hire Mark E. Salamone. That might scare them.

Nineteen year old getting a rental? THAT wil be the more difficult issue to resolve. You might find that letting him use your car, and you using the rental, will be less difficult.
+1. This will be the easiest option on replacement transportation.

mcote13

TDI
2003 Jetta GL Wagon - manual
I am in the insurance industry and used to be in the car rental industry (although not in CT). If you have a police report showing a citation was issued for improper backing, you should be all set. You are right, it is a matter of how difficult or easy they make it. If you have an agent, call them and they will handle on your behalf. If you don't, meaning you work with your insurance company directly, you will have to do a little leg work. If the insurance company representing the at fault driver isn't being helpful, work with your company and they will subrogate, they might even waive your deductible. Be pursistant until you think things are fair.

On the rental side, if you have rental reimbursement on your policy, no problem. If you don't you might have to pay for a rental and get reimbursed. Depending on state laws, you might have to rent a car and let Jr. use yours. If they are found at fault, you are entitled to a rental. Call your local Enterprise, they should be able to help.

Hope this helps, good luck!