Instrument Cluster issues after rebuild

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Where do I put the dielectric grease on the T24? On the actual little metal plugs/pins, or just inside the tightening bracket? Sanding and checking grounds now too.
Put it on the interior of the plug that is mounted to the head. That is where the seal slides. The seal is on the other side of the connector, but I don't think you can access it unless yours is broken like mine.

Where the red "marker" is, but all the way around

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Where do I put the dielectric grease on the T24? On the actual little metal plugs/pins, or just inside the tightening bracket? Sanding and checking grounds now too.
You apply it to both the male and the female part of the connectors, so the metal pin and the receptacle.

It doesn't take much, just enough to assist in the connection.

Steve

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
I was taught not to put dielectric grease etc on any connections that carry a signal, as it may interfere with it. It's fine for basic power supply and ground, but not the signal wires. This wasn't something I learned in school, but was something I heard from a senior mechanic. It may not be 100%

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I grease the threads, the o-ring and the terminals, too. It’s not going to hurt anything, only help. Done it to several of these connectors, without issue.

-Todd

k8t415

TDI
1997 VW Passat TDi
I greased the t24 on the connectors themselves and the ring, so far no change in getting the instrument cluster/radio back. I rewired the black and white wire that goes to the fuel shutoff valve to go around the t24, as well as the red/black wire that was causing issues at the alarm/comfort panel. Car now starts and runs, back to where I started lol. I’d really love to have a working fuel gauge and radio (I’ve only ran out of fuel once so far but I’d like to go on longer rides up to the snow) so I’m troubleshooting that now, so far no luck using the process from Pine Hollow on their Jetta from TX video. All the grounds have been cleaned as well. Having a real hard time getting to the back of the main fuse box, I’ll start a separate thread for that since it’s off-topic here. If anyone can think of anything else I should check or do lmk, thank you all so much for all the input!

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you try manually pushing the halves together from when the wires come out?

Regarding the cluster, open the t24 again and load test the ground wire from the harness on the head to stud on the head. On mine, the wires in the crimps under the stud were broken about 1/2 an inch back from the stud.