Instrument Cluster Bad?

k8t415

TDI
1997 VW Passat TDi
I decided to open up the instrument cluster since none of the other wiring tests seemed to be leading anywhere. I took the tachometer off first and underneath i found two spots that look like they may have burn marks. Can anyone tell me what these pieces are, and if they have in fact blown or gone bad? Is it possible to repair them myself? I do have soldering equipment and a magnifier but haven’t worked on a car part like this before. The main piece that looks like it had burns/little explosion is a blue cylinder with silver top, at top right of the instrument cluster (behind tachometer face area). There’s a second possible little burn spot to the left of that, not sure if that’s a second issue or just splatter or part of the blue cylinder issue. I am trying to find a diagram of what these pieces are but no luck so far.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The capacitor(s) has gone bad...typical on these. There are two that people typically replace, but it looks like you have some damage by the elmos chip too...that's not good but depends on how extensive.

Our old cluster support person doesn't do it anymore and at the moment there's no one connected with us here that I'm aware of that does repairs.

You should see if you can find a replacement cluster, if you can, until such time as the one you have can be repaired.

EDIT: the extent of the damage can be seen if you pull the rear housing to examine the board. If you get really lucky here it might just be cap replacement but equally likely to be worse.

Steve

Last edited:

k8t415

TDI
1997 VW Passat TDi
The capacitor(s) has gone bad...typical on these. There are two that people typically replace, but it looks like you have some damage by the elmos chip too...that's not good but depends on how extensive.

Our old cluster support person doesn't do it anymore and at the moment there's no one connected with us here that I'm aware of that does repairs.

You should see if you can find a replacement cluster, if you can, until such time as the one you have can be repaired.

EDIT: the extent of the damage can be seen if you pull the rear housing to examine the board. If you get really lucky here it might just be cap replacement but equally likely to be worse.

Steve
Thank you, Steve!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
As Steve mentioned, the caps are standard stuff. The Elmos chip, not so much.

A VR6 cluster will work to some degree, but obviously TDI would be a better choice. I’d start looking for people doing a part out… these aren’t too common, nowadays. If you do find a working TDI cluster, replace the caps. Caps start leaking around 20-25 years.

-Todd

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
When the capacitors go bad, they just about always take the board with them....according to DW.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Where can one buy these caps?
I bought mine on ebay, other places carry them too, they are standard caps.

Your situation was discussed in this thread too, the caps and other relevant information is discussed there too.

As TDD noted, it may be a lost cause now but you should pull the board to verify that it's shot too.

Steve

roadrunner89

TDI
Eurovan R5 102HP
Hi,
can you post a picture of the other side of the PCB?
Especially of the area around the faulty Cap?

On many of those PCBs, that have that issued, the traces to the power connecor and some diodes in the way burn up

Do you have the possibility to desolder the faulty Cap?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I bought my CAPs at microcenter. Just fixed my cluster luckily before the ELMOS went