Instrument cluster accident response

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
I'm curious... would it be a design feature that the cluster "freeze" the guages at their point-of-impact position, or is it just coincidence?

After my accident a couple of years ago, in giving statements to various law enforcement and insurance officials, I was of course asked how fast I was going, and I recollected my last speedo check at just under 60km/h, and that I wasn't able to slow down very much owing to conditions, so I said something to the effect of "about 50-55 km/h".

A couple of days later, when inspecting the car, I noticed the guage needles in the cluster were frozen in position, visible in this pic:

More important, the speedo was frozen in a position that jived with my recollection of events.

I wonder if that would be by design, perhaps triggered at the same moment as the airbag signal? Or, given the likely electrical surge that went through the car (my battery was literally sheared in half), is it simply coincidence?

(PS - and hmmm... I guess I must have been in neutral, if rpms were at idle? That's something I wasn't able to remember.)

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
The gauges are motor driven so its likely power was simply removed by the accident and as such the gauges remained in position.
There is no facility in the cluster to freeze the needles when a crash is detected that I have ever seen.