Instructions for Two of Sky Pup's Mods

CK Petty

Instructions for Two of Sky Pup\'s Mods

Here's how to do two of Sky Pup's modifications on your A4 TDI in one pleasant afternoon.

TOOLS YOU'LL NEED--
Pliers
Hammer
Stanley Utility Knife
Small Pocket Screwdriver with 1/8" Flat Blade
#1 Phillips Screwdriver
1/4" Socket Handle
T-15 Tamper-Resistant Star Socket for 1/4" Driver (Discount Auto has these...Performance Tool, Part No. W1360. $1.99) The difference between a standard tork (or star socket) and a tamper-resistant one is that the tamper-resistant has a hole in the center of it. Standard star sockets will not fit a tamper-resistant fastener.
Small Hand Saw
Tube of KY Jelly (drug store)
Black Magic Marker

PARTS YOU'LL NEED--
BMC or K&N Filter
5/8" Diameter X 36" Wood Dowel (Home Depot..$.89) You will only need 1" of it.
Purolator B13146M Beather Filter (at Discount Auto & others..$3.06)

DOING THE MAF SCREEN REMOVAL
Locate the black air box on the driver's side of the car behind the battery case. You will see a black, Shop-Vac type hose going from the air box to the engine. In between the Shop-Vac hose and the airbox is a piece of plastic tubing with electrical wires running to it. This piece of tubing houses the MAF sensor -- a delicate and expensive item so be careful!

1) Disconnect the wires from the MAF sensor by pulling back on the little clip on the top of the connector. Just pull back on it with your figernail in the direction of the windshield.
2) Using a pair of pliers, squeeze together the clamp that holds the hose to the MAF sensor tube. At the same time you are holding the clamp open with the pliers, slide the Shop-Vac hose off the tube.
3) Now unscrew the two Phillips-head screws on the windshield-side of the airbox. These screws are captive so don't worry about losing them. When you have undone the screws, lift up the cover on the airbox. Carefully removed the accordion-style air filter inside.
4) The top of the airbox is still tethered by a small black hose. Do not remove this hose. Just try to turn the top of the airbox around so you can see the two Phillips-head screws that hold the MAF sensor tube to the airbox top. Unscrew the two Phillips-head screws and pull the MAF sensor tube out of the airbox top.
5) Put the T-15 tamper-resistant socket on a screwdriver-type socket handle. Using this tool, unscrew the two fasteners that hold the MAF sensor in the black plastic tube. Carefully pull out the MAF sensor and put it aside.
6) If you look in the tube, you will see two screens. One is silver metallic and looks like a tea strainer. The second screen is black plastic with a honeycomb pattern. We want to remove both screens from the tube. The easiest way to remove them is to take a flat screwdriver and a hammer and pound them out. Do not hammer them into the tube! This will take a few minutes. Be patient and do not damage the tube itself.
7) Now re-install the MAF sensor in the tube. Start by coating the "O" ring on the sensor with KY jelly so it will slide in easily. Make sure the shape of the sensor matches the base on the tube itself to insure you have installed the sensor correctly. Use your socket-handle with the T-15 star socket to refasten the two fasteners.
8) Re-attach the MAF tube to the airbox. Use KY jelly to coat the end of the tube that goes into the airbox. Push the tube into place and then attach with the two Phillips-head screws.
9) Now install your new BMC or K&N filter in the base of the airbox. Make sure it fits snugly. Slip the airbox top into the slots along the front side of the airbox base and then re-fasten the two captive Phillips-head screws on the other side.
10) Re-attach the hose to the MAF sensor tube, using pliers to keep the hose clamp open while you pull the hose onto the sensor tube.
11) This is the final step. Attach the electrical connector to the MAF sensor. Make sure that the electrical connector latch is on top. If it is not, you have installed the MAF sensor into the tube upside down.

MAKING THE PVC BYPASS MODIFICATION--
1) Remove the upper engine cover. Begin by removing the oil dip stick. Then, using a small pocket screwdriver, pry off the three round plastic disks. Using a 10-mm socket, remove the nuts you will find under the plastic covers.
2) With the engine cover removed, you will see a black disk-shaped object on top of the engine with a black plastic elbow running from it to the Shop-Vac type hose (the air intake hose) that goes from the airbox to the engine. Look closely at the plastic elbow running from the disk to the air intake hose. Near where the elbow joins the the air intake hose, you will see some electrical wires and on the elbow itself you will see an "accordion" section with four ridges.
3) Follow these instructions carefully! You are going to cut the elbow into two pieces. I want to make sure you cut it in the right place. Look at the four ridges. Look at the last ridge that is closest to the front of the car. Add another 5/8" from this point (moving further toward the front of the car) and make a mark on the elbow. This is where you are going to cut the elbow. Use the Stanley utility knife and make a clean, perpendicular cut.
4) Now unloosen the hose clamp that attaches the other half of the elbow to the black disk on the engine. Using a flat-blade screwdriver, you can carefully pry the elbow off the disk. Fit the Purolator B13146M beather filter to the cut end of this piece of the elbow. Use KY jelly to slide it on. If the end of the elbow does not attach to the breather filter perpendicularly, remove the filter and trim the end of the elbow with your Stanley utility knife so it does and reassemble. When you're finished, put this assembly aside for the moment.
5) Take your wooden dowel and cut a 1" piece from one end. You will use this piece to plug the end of the elbow that is still attached to the big air intake hose. Test fit the wooden plug. You will see it is too big. Trim the end of the dowel that you cut so that the finished end will show, using your Stanley utility knife. When you have the plug nicely trimmed, start it in the end of the elbow that is still attached to the big air intake care. Use a hammer to tap the plug until it is flush with the end of the elbow. Blacken the end of the wood plug with your Magic Marker.
6) Now take the stainless steel hose clamp and place it over the bell section of the piece of the elbow that has the Purolator breather filter at the other end. You are going to attach this assembly to the black disk on the engine. Lubricate the nipple of the disk with KY jelly and slide the bell section of the elbow onto the nipple.
7) Turn the elbow until the Purolator filter is aimed toward the front of the car. Tighten the hose clamp to secure the elbow to the disk.
8) Replace the upper engine cover. Don't forget to put back the oil dip stick.

My sincere thanks to Sky Pup, Mickey, Howard Z and D Parnell.

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
Re: Instructions for Two of Sky Pup\'s Mods

It sounds like you are not doing this on a New Beetle. You should mention what year and model you are modifying. Both modification instructions are not fully compatible with my new beetle, so I assume you are working on a Golf or Jetta.

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg

So there's a little filter with crankcase fumes coming out of it near the valve cover?
Isn't there any stink and mess involved?

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg

On the PCV mod, I suppose a possible downside to it will be if the nasty things in the oil vapors do not fully leave the valve covers because they are no longer being sucked out.

The buildup of oil in the intercooler doesn't damage the engine, it just reduces performance. I hear this also happens with gasoline powered turbos. I think there is a write up about intercooler cleaning in Fred's FAQ. The dealers, they haven't got a clue about intercooler cleaning. If you search the older forum threads you will read people saying wow it makes a big performance increase to get that oil gung out of there.

As for the MAF screens, we think the purpose of this scree is to protect the expensive MAF sensor in the event that the main air filter tears apart, or someone tries to run the engine without an air filter in place. Do you have any other ideas for how particles can get into the air flow that are large enough for the MAF filter to screen them out?

M

mickey

The screens are primarily there to protect the MAF sensor from debris. If you make sure your air filter is properly installed there is no danger. They also serve to make the airflow more laminar so that the sensor provides a more accurate reading, but any error you introduce by removing the screens seems to be in our favor. (More power!)

The intercooler fouling problem is one that is pretty much universal with intercooled cars these days. I don't understand why manufacturers don't take it into consideration, but for some reason they don't. Disconnecting the PCV system has no direct effect on performance. It just helps keep your intercooler cleaner.

All these "odds and ends" mods, as well as the more expensive TT exhaust mod, are best dont after the installation of a chip or tuning box. The stock intake and exhaust systems are well designed to work with the stock engine. It's only when you boost the engine's performance that you put excessive demands on the intake and exhuast. The K&N and PCV mods are worthwhile even on a stock engine as they'll reduce future expense and maintainance hassles. (No need to buy replaceable filters, and you won't need to clean the intercooler as often.)

-mickey

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg

In my car, I didn't need to cut anything for the PCV bypass, and I didn't install an airfilter. I used Mickey's method - ran a 3/4 inch heater hose to the bottom of the car for any oil to drain out.
The reason to use a small air filteris the fear some have about dirt getting into the engine, but it seems that the air flow is one direction: outwards.
CK might end up with some oil vapors condensing on top of his engine and making things messy. Others run a hose to the bottom to avoid this possibility.

erickimb

Veteran Member

So with the above two mods would I see any performance difference at all just by doing those two? Or should they really only be done in conjunction with a Tuning box or chip and Cranking up the turbo boost?
Thanks

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg

The PCV mod is to prevent oil buildup in the intercooler. The PCV system sucks oil vapors into the air intake system which condenses into goo. The alternative is to clean the intercooler's innards once each year. I hear that a clean intercooler does make a big performance difference.

The MAF screens I hear make only a small performance difference which will not be noticed without a Wett chip or tuning box. I personally did not notice the MAF removal increasing performance - but I didn't have the WETT chip then.

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf

What are the downsides to doing these two mods?
Also I don't understand how there could be such a design flaw that would allow oil to build up!! At what point would it start to actually cause damage to the engine? Do the dealers ever do a "tuneup" at any time and clean the intercooler for you?

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf

I'm going to boost this, beg for pictures, and ask if anyone knows what car CK Petty was working on?

Also when describing the MAF screen removal, isn't there also another filter that should be removed from the airbox in addition to the MAF screens?

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg

There is a 3" round cylinder that is about 4" long that you can also remove. This cylinder is mounted in the upper half of the Air Cleaner Element Box at a similar angle of the larger exiting air hose and doesn't do much good - particularly if you have increased the airflow to the stock air filter box.

Solution, while removing the plastic and fine-wired MAF Screens, leave the round cylinder out, since you have to remove it to get to the two MAF Screens.

Also, don't forget to remove the 3rd screen (that routinely gets plugged up), which is located ahead of the OEM air box.

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf

what do you mean by ahead of?

I'm sorry, I'm incompetent, I'm sure when I do this I'll figure it out, but I would appreciate further explanation, and pictures?

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently

That's exactly what I need to know! (See my question in General TDI Discussions.)

------------------
Rob
2000 Golf GLS TDI (K&N air filter, MAF screens out)
2000 Passat GLS Variant 1.8T

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg

The 3rd fine-wired (snowscreen) is located in the intake air tube prior to the Air Cleaner Assemble or Air Filter Box.

Simply unbolt the OEM Air Box and set it aside. There is a small air tube that runs from the front of the car (on the driver's side) that you can also unbolt and remove as well. Upon inspection, you will see the fine-wired mesh screen that can be easily removed with a utility knife.

While you're at it, I'd highly recommend that you consider running an extra air line from the front grill to the bottom of the OEM Air Box. This is easy to do with the box out of the engine bay, when things open up a bit. I ran two inexpensive 2" vacuum hose lines from the bottom of the Air Box out to the driver's and passenger side grill. If you only run one extra air hose, I suggest running it to the driver's side grill.

One other thing.... Only remove this inlet fine-wired screen if you have a K&N FilterCharger or foam type air filter like AMSOIL's. I recommend against it while using VW's OEM paper filter.

In conclusion, I am a firm believer in getting all the air you can to the TDI engine and feel that this shows up in improved MPG ratings consistently over 50 MPG for mixed driving!

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed: Silver / Gray
Tuned for MPG

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently

TDI Steve--you can do it!

------------------
Rob
2000 Golf GLS TDI (K&N air filter, MAF & airbox screens removed)
2000 Passat GLS Variant 1.8T

CK Petty

I did have problems by just putting a filter on the end of the black, saucer-shaped disk that is the engine beather tube. After about 1,000 miles, I removed the engine cover and found that the filter had sprayed oil on the foam sound-deadening material on the underside of the engine cover and also on the valve cover. I realized I needed a catch can. Here is how I fixed the problem.

Materials:

(1) Catch Can from Road/Race Engineering (714) 899-1220. $49.00

From Home Depot--
(1) S.S. hose clamp 2-1/2 to 4-1/2" (079916010014) diameter. $0.73
(1) Toro Lawn Sprinkler "Funny Pipe" 24" long (021038532653) $1.20
(2) Toro Lawn Sprinkler "Funny Pipe" 1/2" MPT X Hose Insert 90 degree elbows (021038533889) $0.37 each
(1 roll) 1/4" dia. clear plastic tubing (048643025523) $1.20

The Road/Race catch can is a very impressive. Looks automotive, but the intake fittings on it is too small. There are two inlet fittings on the catch can, but you only need one. I took the catch can to a machine shop and had them take out one of the fittings and drill and tap the opening for 1/2" pipe thread. $20.00

To make the mod, remove the saucer disk from the top of the engine valve cover by pulling up on it. Place this aside. You will not need it. Now you will notice there is a rubber grommet that fits into the valve cover. Take one of the plastic 90-degree elbows you have and push the pipe-threaded end into the grommet.

On the catch can, slip the hose clamp you bought between the two bolts that hold the mounting fitting to the catch can. You are going to mount the catch can onto the oil filter base. You will use the roll of 1/4" clear tubing to act as a drain tube, attaching it to the valve on the bottom of the catch can and leading it out one of the holes at the front end of the plastic pan that covers the underside of the engine. The drain hose can hang below the engine pan by an inch or so.

Attach the second 1/2 MPT 90-degree elbow to the catch can. Then attach the piece of Toro "Funny Pipe" to the elbow on the valve cover; plan how the pipe is going to lead down to the catch can; carefully measure; then cut the pipe and insert that end into the other 90-degree elbow. You're finished!

The Toro parts are all polyethylene - perfect for this application and the finished installation looks like it is stock.

There is a thread on here somewhere with photographs of the catch can and where to install it. I believe it was presented by Tipster. It was his post that put me on to the Road/Race catch can, and happily I stumbled on to these Toro fittings which make the installation a breeze.

If any of you have questions or I can help you, please email me.