Instructions for changing water pump?

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Search "golf 7 tdi timing belt change".
Don't worry about engine code as long it is a 7(mk7). 1.6 and 2.0 engines have same procedure as far as I can tell.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
EA288 is the family, CRUA and CVCA are models in that family

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
EA288 is the family, CRUA and CVCA are models in that family
Roger that, thanks for the info. TDI extended warranty won't cover the failed water pump at 47k miles unless I overheat the engine and throw a CEL. Or pay $1800 for water pump and timing belt. Looks like I'm doing it myself. Should have never sold my ALH.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I did my wife's CRUA last year, easy peasy, but I had done multiple BEW/BRM timing belts before that.

The worst in these news cars is the amount of brackets you'll have to undo, and then do back at the end....and the lack of space due to the dual overhead cam.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Some pics in this thread:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
One last thing to consider: if you've ever think of replacing the CP4 HPFP for a CP3, this is the moment, at a timing belt change.

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
One last thing to consider: if you've ever think of replacing the CP4 HPFP for a CP3, this is the moment, at a timing belt change.
I'll probably do that fuel pump swap at the next timing belt when the warranty is up along with a larger turbo and delete. Thanks for the heads up!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...TDI extended warranty won't cover the failed water pump at 47k miles unless I overheat the engine and throw a CEL...
Who told you that? The leaking water pump on our hatchback is being replaced under the Dieselgate extended warranty, as it is a part of the long block assembly, which is covered...

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Who told you that? The leaking water pump on our hatchback is being replaced under the Dieselgate extended warranty, as it is a part of the long block assembly, which is covered...

My regional customer service manager and the dealership. You got lucky.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lots of people have had the problematic 2015 water pumps replaced under warranty. Not sure why yours is any different.

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Changed the timing belt and water pump last night after work, pretty straight forward and very similar to the videos on the previous generations. Water pump failed at the bearing, not the seal.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Great job, it started to look downright awful.
I'm surprised by your new idler roller, I thought they all come polished and shiny.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Changed the timing belt and water pump last night after work, pretty straight forward and very similar to the videos on the previous generations. Water pump failed at the bearing, not the seal.
Did you happen to notice if the impellor shroud was sticky in its movement?

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Great job, it started to look downright awful.
I'm surprised by your new idler roller, I thought they all come polished and shiny.

Yeah, that was in the id-parts kit. The chrome off the old one was starting to corrode and flake off. My guess is the water pump had been leaking for a while and eating up parts in there.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, that was in the id-parts kit. The chrome off the old one was starting to corrode and flake off. My guess is the water pump had been leaking for a while and eating up parts in there.
I also got the id-parts kit, and the idler rollers were shiny&polished like the originals.

Also, from the pictures, I'd say you did not replaced the tensioner, why ?

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
I also got the id-parts kit, and the idler rollers were shiny&polished like the originals.

Also, from the pictures, I'd say you did not replaced the tensioner, why ?
Thats interesting...

Yeah, the one in the kit cracked while tensioning. Looks like it was made of pot metal. I think I'll try the kerma kit next time.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Thats interesting...

Yeah, the one in the kit cracked while tensioning. Looks like it was made of pot metal. I think I'll try the kerma kit next time.
You should contact IDParts and let them know...