Installing new style alternator plug on 98 New Beetle

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
Ok guys, this has me stumped and angry.

I bought a new Bosch 120A from idparts and purchased the connector to make it work as well. I assumed that the connector would be pre wired, and all I would have to do would be to cut the old connector off and splice.

This is not the case however. I am completely guessing on how to install the wires as there are no instructions, and none of the threads on here talk about that, they only gripe about the tight space for installation.

I tried to take the old connector apart, and succeeded in getting the wires out, but then realized I need the metal connectors as well to attach to the blades in the alternator housing. These connectors are as fragile as candy, and I have broken one of them.

Now what do i do? :(

Magni3d

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle 1.9L
I just came across a similar problem, it sounds like you are committed to the alternator you have now.... I would suggest taking a pic of a dime or some other size reference along side the blades of the new alt, then hitting up radio shack for the corresponding parts.... if they don't fit the plug you bought, screw the plug, or find a creative way to insert the connectors into the plug and then hold them firm....

Hope this helps.

In my case it looks like I have an Early 98 NB which has a rectangular plug on the alt, but I could not find an alt to fit that connector.... so i ended up getting an alt for a 98 Jetta, Ironically it is absolutely identical in every way (except the dirt oil and crud) to the old Alt. Going to start installing it today.

Magni3d

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle 1.9L
Burpod.... Seriously! that pic was taken in the middle of a huge project right?

I don't have much room to talk because ATM I have the beetle nose, steel bumper in the kitchen, and a few tool boxes scattered about the living room.... LOL

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I just came across a similar problem, it sounds like you are committed to the alternator you have now.... I would suggest taking a pic of a dime or some other size reference along side the blades of the new alt, then hitting up radio shack for the corresponding parts.... if they don't fit the plug you bought, screw the plug, or find a creative way to insert the connectors into the plug and then hold them firm....

Hope this helps.

In my case it looks like I have an Early 98 NB which has a rectangular plug on the alt, but I could not find an alt to fit that connector.... so i ended up getting an alt for a 98 Jetta, Ironically it is absolutely identical in every way (except the dirt oil and crud) to the old Alt. Going to start installing it today.
except the pulley is much smaller on the mk3 jetta and iirc the mkiv pulley will not fit the mk3 alternator