Installing heated leather seats into a 2000 TDI that was equipped with cloth

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Hello! I picked up a really nice set of heated leather seats the other day. I was taking a look at them and noticed there is what i believe to be a few different connectors than mine.

there is a green one which from what i read is for the heated part and there appears to be a black one as well. See below for more details.

I haven't taken my original seats out yet, but i did get a pretty good look under them with a inspection scope i have and noticed there is no black connector from what i can tell either. I am assuming this is for the airbags in the seats. correct me if im wrong though.

What am i going to need in order to make these work properly in my car? I don't too much care about the heated part i just dont want a airbag light to come one or anything along those lines.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I had a Jetta with leathers swapped in. Had a constant airbag light that I covered up with electrical tape 😄

I'm not sure what the light indicates. Might be difficult to get seat air bags to work in a car that wasn't originally equipped with it. I'm sure someone has done this successfully though. Or there is a way to simply program the light out and disregard seat air bags.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Do you know from what model year car the seats came? I did the reverse, putting year 2000 leather seats in a year 2004 cloth car, and there were some connector differences, especially with the seatbelt buckles.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Had an '02 Golf, and found some '04 seats...they went in. Got a '00 for my son, and went to put in the '02 Golf seats. The seat belt connections were different( the two wire thin connectors), as were the air bag connectors. Found an earlier set of seats and did a bit of connector surgery. No lights. The airbag comes on if you don't take the battery off line first( assuming that everything else is going to fit/match ).
cheers,
Douglas

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
After further inspection they both have the same connectors. One yellow chunky one and the thin black one.

As to what car they came from I was told possibly an 03 jetta. I can't confirm this though.

Both connectors look almost exactly the same will upload

Here is a photo of the current connector for the seat that I just took out

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
. The airbag comes on if you don't take the battery off line first( assuming that everything else is going to fit/match ).
cheers,
Douglas
[/QUOTE]

Oops didn't do that. If it comes on what's a good way to reset it without VCDS?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The yellow connectors are for the airbag. Do not turn the car on with any airbag connector disconnected or you will get an air bag light that you will need vcds,or equivalent to clear.

The air bag connector on the 2000 seat is for the side seat shoulder bag. The 2003 may or may not have an additional yellow connector for the buckle. The 03 shoulder airbag connector should plug into the 00 connector without a problem.

The green connector is for the heated seat, there is a thread here somewhere that walks you through installing the seat switches and routing wires for the heated seats if you want them.

I’m still looking for the black connector you spoke about, there is a black plastic mounting unit that those heated seat connectors and air bag connectors snap into that holds them in position.

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I meant this one. I didn't see it on the original seat until I took it out

First is the connector I spoke of on the original that I thought wasn't there. 2nd is a photo of where it goes into. Looks almost identical to the ones on my new seats

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Was it plugged in? If so plug the connector from the new seat in the same place. I’m trying to remember what that plug was for, does it go to the seat belt? Probably the “you forgot to fasten you seatbelt” warning. I had forgotten about that one.

I put power, heated,memory, leather Passat seat in my golf several years ago. I still haven’t hooked up the memory part because I’m the only one that drives it most of the time.

Banksy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
So the first one went in literally with no issue. It appears as if the pigtail for the seatbelt is different. There is also no pigtail for the airbag on this one. See attached photos for a more detailed look.

Can I just cut the wires off the old one and spice them to the new one?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, once you confirm which wires go to what, you can just hook 'em up. The connectors are for ease of assembly.