Installing Driving Lights on a 2014 JSW

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I would like to do the above. All of the kits I have seen refer to installing Fog Lights. I consider Fog Lights to be borderline useless however a true Driving Light could someday save my car or life and enhance deer avoidance maneuvers while driving my rural Virginia roads at night.

It appears that the fog lamp kits, including the grille replacement panels can result in a clean looking job. The problems I see are acquiring the driving light lamps in place of fogs and doing some minor wiring changes to have them switch on and off with the high beam headlights.

Has anyone here done this and can offer advice?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Are you opposed to incorporating some small but powerful LED's into the grill? ie: cutting an opening into the grill to install driving lights, you might open up more options...being a tad bit higher mounted they may perform better. Fog vs driving lights have different lens (beam focus) as I am sure you're aware...low and wide vs. far and narrow.
I've thought about installing some into the grill....that's as far as I've gone...LOL

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for the reply.

Thought about it and I guess I am opposed to cutting my upper grille. If this thing had a bumper like real cars do, I would simply mount to it. My state requires that fog lights be automatically extinguished when high beams are switched on so I have to rewire for driving lights since I want them to be selectively enabled with high beams.

Not a big deal. Wintertime project.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Before I went the HID route I considered separate driving lights, auxiliary high beams really. The upper grill location seemed best to me because a) the fogs are a specific shape to fit into the bumper, b) the lower bumper is a lousy place for a light- too close to the ground and in the path of lots of rocks, c) the upper grill is a discrete piece, easy to remove and probably not too hard to find at a wrecker so the original can be kept pristine while mods are done to a replacement.