Installing a Navigation system in a 2010 Jetta

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
Has anyone installed a VW navigation system in a 2010 Jetta?

Mine came without one and would like to know the pros and coms of getting one second hand and installing it. What parts are needed? Is it a single unit system? Is the factory wiring in place? Any hole have to be cut?

Your thoughts please.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
The OEM RNS-510 is a plug and play option but expensive at about $1500. An alternative is one of the chinese knock-offs. The Waywell WD6050 looks promising. Here is a link. I couldn't find a US vendor with a quick google search so it may require a direct order from China via a site like www.aliexpress.com.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
My 2011 Golf hatch has navigation. We just bought my wife a 2013 Golf Wagon without it.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't get it. The cost of updating the database thru VW is very expensive ($200 I think). Unless you can figure out a way to get cheap updates, I'd say forget it.

When we were in the UK last spring, we rented a Golf and for $1.99 I downloaded an iPhone GPS app that worked just as well if not better than the OEM RNS-315 unit the Golf comes with optionally, albeit with a smaller screen.

I'm sure in the long run a smartphone with GPS app is probably way cheaper and just as effective, at the expense of a more cluttered look and smaller screen.

TDIL

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG Tech Package
I have nav in my 2012 Golf and prefer my 3-year-old Garmin. I cannot trust the VW's routes, especially on long-distance trips. A few times it has led me on routes that did not make sense, and once cost me a good hour making a very bad "judgment call" that I didn't catch until it was too late. I now usually plot my own routes in advance which basically defeats the purpose.

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
I have a roughly 4 year old Pioneer double din nav unit that I took out of my 04 GLI. Anytime you put a new head unit in a car you'll have to buy the adapters and all that fun stuff. It gets even more expensive if you want the steering wheel controls to work.

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
The Smartphone idea is a good one.
You can even do it without having phone service. Using WiFi just load the maps offline that you need, plot your route with the Navigation app, and then you are good to go as the GPS antennae doesn't need a data connection. Also if you have an Android phone you can have anywhere from a 4" to 5.5" screen.;)

Oh, disclaimer this works using Google maps. Not sure how well with an Iphone. Also that means you could also use your tablet for Nav if it has a GPS built in.

Even with a GPS on long trip my phone runs a map just to make sure we don't get re-routed for some weird reason the way GPS systems seem to be good for.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I love the RNS510 I have in my 2010 Golf TDI! Even though I suppose inexpensive Garmins or smartphones work well enough, I like the integration of the factory Nav with the MFD for the turns and then the big map that can easily be zoomed or unzoomed. The RNS510 is also a gorgeous unit in the car and seems very upscale. It has HD radio, a hard drive, plays DVDs, has the SD card slot, is integrated with the phone, bluetooth and the MDI cable, and it has Sirius too. It is also customizable, in terms of the themes for the colors of the buttons on the display.

It is just a very nice thing to have, even though it was expensive. I'd do it again in a minute, but I had it available as an option on my car. I didn't have to install it myself.

Premium Theme in my car

6.5 inch map size

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
I dont see most OEM ones as worth the money, and as mentioned by veedubfreak, 3rd party ones can be a hassle to fully integrate well. The RNS315 is just too basic with too small of a screen to be worth the money. Even a $100 portable unit will run circles around it with features and such. RNS510 is pretty decent looking for OEM...at least the latest ones with full voice command, traffic, etc...but costs 2x what would be at least reasonable. $1500 is just too much for something that will just likely be behind the times and generally lacking in a few years just like every other OEM nav unit has as time marched on. Most people dont need to navigate each and every day, so just get a portable unit and upgrade to the latest and greatest as needed or else use your smartphone with a vent clip or somthing and call it a day.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
There is always the chinese knock-off units. Google Audiosource ANS-510 or ANS-810 (and now perhaps an ANS-710). You have to order directly from china but even with shipping the overall cost is fairly low ~$350-$500

Don't own one but they are packed with features.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
To the OP, since you have a 2010 it looks like it really is a plug-n-play along with installing the Sat/Nav antenna and making some VCDS coding changes. Here is a DIY link. I know on some later cars, the bluetooth was integrated in the radios, so they also have to add a 9W7. For you, however, it seems pretty simple.

DIY-RNS510-install-for-MKVI-(w-bluetooth-and-MDI)

At myturbodiesel they also mention something about the compass module, but not sure if it applies to you.
myturbodiesel - RNS510 FAQ

Last edited:

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
There is always the chinese knock-off units. Google Audiosource ANS-510 or ANS-810 (and now perhaps an ANS-710). You have to order directly from china but even with shipping the overall cost is fairly low ~$350-$500

Don't own one but they are packed with features.

Never experienced a current VW aimed one, but one of my friends did try that route on his F150 a couple years ago, TWICE. While yes, they have a ton of features, NONE of them worked well or even well enough to be bearable on either 2 models he tried....not even plain ole FM radio! 1st one...extremely slow and buggy, most functions were right at the point of not being useable. He sent that one back and tried a different make/model from another place...more of the same. After that, he finally just ponied up a little more money and picked up a low end Pioneer AVIC for not much more, which he should of done all along. The Pioneer was a night and day difference compared to those cheap every feature under the sun chinese deals.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
Never experienced a current VW aimed one, but one of my friends did try that route on his F150 a couple years ago, TWICE. While yes, they have a ton of features, NONE of them worked well or even well enough to be bearable on either 2 models he tried....not even plain ole FM radio! 1st one...extremely slow and buggy, most functions were right at the point of not being useable. He sent that one back and tried a different make/model from another place...more of the same. After that, he finally just ponied up a little more money and picked up a low end Pioneer AVIC for not much more, which he should of done all along. The Pioneer was a night and day difference compared to those cheap every feature under the sun chinese deals.
I absolutely agree that buying a chinese knock off of anything can have potential issues. But, just for clarity, there are a lot of knock-off chinese vendors for the VW head units. Apparently, these companies have no problem stealing from each other just like they steal designs from the OEM units. But, since I have been considering this route I must say that the Audiosource units have done reasonably well. This is the only company that has firmware that is the same look/feel as the OEM interface.

Here is a forum from Australia that has a lot of info about these units in case anyone is interested.

ANS-510 and ANS-810 info

The firmware will soon get an update to include an OBD2 screen so engine information including fault codes can be displayed.