Installed a Dieselgeek Sigma 5 shifter...AWESOME!

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
I thought I had wasted my money ordering it when I was drunk, but BOY WAS I WRONG!! This thing is amazing! It was hard to take the counterweight off the transmission (trans came from Canada), but once it was on I was so impressed. I will echo what others have said that there is a more mechanical feeling, but I personally love it.

For those who were on the fence about it, do it. You'll be super happy that you did.

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
i wish i could get one. being a 99, i have the old mk3 style shift lever. :(

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
i wish i could get one. being a 99, i have the old mk3 style shift lever. :(
You can change all of those parts. New shifter housing, cables, and shift tower in the trans. I put all the MK4/MK5 02J components into my MK2 VR6 w/ 02A ('95 Passat... same as MK3 stuff). MK4 Shift tower, MK5 Polo shift box w/ cables.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Oh man, after I saw this thread I had to go look it up.

I put a short shifter on the ole' Cummins and I'm strongly thinking of purchasing this kit as well for the Golf.

I think I might need some liquid persuasion tonight...

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I attempted to purchase the OEM TT short shifter a few months ago but it was out of stock. I’m interested in alternatives.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I attempted to purchase the OEM TT short shifter a few months ago but it was out of stock. I’m interested in alternatives.
Sigma 5 seems to have a cult following...always good.

When I installed the BD short shifter in the Cummins, I also installed a Hurst shifter from a Viper truck (had to machine a custom bracket adapter). It removed the stock rubber bushing in the system. The shifts are way more "machine" (notchy) like rather than the soft poo it was before.

Sounds like this system provides a precise and positive shift that some people really like and some don't. I'll have to confer with my buddy Jameson tonight to make a decision