Installed 3.0 TDI Turbo in 2.7 TDI

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
I have had past years 3 times this kind of failure. Indeed upgrade manifolds.

Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Thanks for all your kind replies. I finally got around to upgrading or perhaps downgrading the exhaust manifolds from the double walled to cast iron. I wasn't able to do it immediately and must admit I drove another 10K before I had a bit of time this weekend. Fortunately more pieces did not come out and the exhuast wheel was fine on the new hybrid turbo I replaced. In my case you can see in the pic the break of the inner tube was at the exit of the diver side manifold and at the point of break the missing pieces (small) were those that ended up in the turbo. However I do feel that with an initial break most likely those pieces that can escape will land in the turbo and then bigger pieces will stay behind which means the immediate threat of another turbo bombing may not be as bad as expected. This seemed to be also the story I saw darkside retell on youtube and what I could infer from a pic diffas shared with me. However I do not know anything much about this subject. I am just happy I got advice from Alex et al. to replace the manifolds. He is a true gentleman and helped me when I came to Germany.
The job itself was like playing the lottery, with engine in the car (probably most V6 cars). I was just hoping a stud or nut would not strip. Fortuntely it didn't. Access is a bit tight. The main nut/stud that is difficult is the driver side lower front (blind) where there are belt components on the front blocking view/access. There are 6 nuts/studs each side. The pass side is much easier once the intercooler piping is removed. I also unbolted the engine mounts and raised the engine especially on the driver side. That does help for upper nuts. Also removing the Turbo and Turbo support foot give you more options to taking pipes off. The manifolds I got from Lithuania website RRR for a few Euros and the connecting pipes from ebay Germany for a few more Euros. Part Numbers: 059253033P (left) 059253034P (right) Matching tubes #: 5900109 Some gaskets additional. Thanks again.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
One thing I wanted to say is that the GTB2260VK seems to me to be an incredible Turbo. After 8 years of Autobahn WOT abuse it had to be stopped by the manifold breaking up. :)