Inner tie-rods replacement, can I go without special tools?

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Hello!

I was going for an aligment soon but I just noticed that I have an inned tie-rod (driver side) which has a small amount of play and I'd prefer to change it before going for the aligment. I'd probably change both sides as I would think they never got changed in the entire car's life (about 260k miles).

Would i need to purchase any special tools for this job or do you guys have special tricks to get this thing out without any special kit?

Thanks in advance for the inputs!

G.b.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Adjust the new one to the approximate length as the old one. A pickle fork is nice for separating joints. Plumbers pipe wrench is nice for holding.
If you have any trouble getting it off, you can cut thru it with a sawzall, so I've read.

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Thanks for the inputs! I've done pretty much everything on the car so far. My main concern is mostly with reaching and unscrewing the ''nut'' located inside the boot at the end of the inner tie rod. I'm not sure a plumbers pipe wrench can reach the place... or can it?

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
When I did mine, my son showed me a neat trick. Once you have the nut off of the tie rod end, you give it a strong hit with a small sledge on the side parallel to the stud (on the side) and it will fall right out. Would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
We are using that trick pretty much all the time, the hit and the vibration pops the tie-rod out! My concern is about the INNER tie-rod however... the one underneath the bubber boot closer to the rack and pinion.

slevang

TDI
2002 NB TDI
I don't remember exactly, but at least enough to get it out past the control arm. I might have even chained a few together to get it all the way out past the wheel arch, in order to get the big breaker on it. You can turn the wheel to get the inner ends further out which buys a few inches.

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
I had seen those...THey do actually work great? not too hard to get the thing in place and tighten the nuts?

Francobenz

TDI
Golf TDI 2003
I have done the same on my car a few weeks ago and rented the special tool at a Canadian Tire. It was free and was pretty useful. It's a cheap insurance to get it before starting the job.

slevang

TDI
2002 NB TDI
I had seen those...THey do actually work great? not too hard to get the thing in place and tighten the nuts?
Getting the nuts on was pretty easy, and they really do grip well. No issues with slipping if tightened properly.

I haven't tried the other one you linked, but it probably works as well. The good part about the one I showed is that it can be put on without separating the inner and outer tie rod. My outers were well seized on so this made things simpler.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I have one of those like slevang linked it works good, it is a little tight and you have to allow space for the turn but once an inner tie rod makes a half turn it usually unscrews with your fingers.

Except once when someone put some red locktite on one I was replacing. I had to drop the subframe to get a pipe wrench on it. Even then I barely got it off.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I have the inner tie rod tool if you want to borrow it, but Canada is a big ass place so not sure where you are