Inline transmission filter

themightyquinn

TDI
1999 New Beetle Black
I know not everyone agrees, but I'd like to add a Magnefine inline oil filter, I'm trying to figure which line is the return from the oil cooler and can't seem to find the information anywhere.

Anyone know the line size? I don't have the car in front of me, is there a rubber hose portion of the line or will I have to cut the hard line and flare it?

Does anyone know where the fluid flows from the torque converter after it leaves? Does it go to the trans cooler or pan, or does it flow into the valve body, rest of trans, etc?

Thanks!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Transmission hoses have AN connections. Get the adapters from a hydraulic specialty shop and have them make you a short "jumper" hose that is properly sleeved and crimped.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
While I think you have another solution in search of a problem, if you do some googling you can probably find a fluid flow chart and all kinds of information on that transmission on the internet. Use "ZF 5HP19FL" as your search criteria.

There is only a small section of flexible hose for the cooler lines, and that is a pretty heavy duty chunk of whatever it is, nothing at all like the cheesy little hoses like you'd see on a Toyota or a Nissan or something. Closer to something you'd see on a big truck. Probably not easy to cut into.

You can take the tube/hose assembly off from the side of the engine/transmission (you'll likely have to drop the subframe down, not sure, I've never specifically just R&R'd that line by itself, always as part of a much bigger job). Once off, you may be able to take it to someone who makes hydraulic lines and have them install something in the hard pipe part as it runs alongside the engine oil pan. That would be where there would be the most room anyways.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I know not everyone agrees, but I'd like to add a Magnefine inline oil filter, I'm trying to figure which line is the return from the oil cooler and can't seem to find the information anywhere.
Anyone know the line size? I don't have the car in front of me, is there a rubber hose portion of the line or will I have to cut the hard line and flare it?
Does anyone know where the fluid flows from the torque converter after it leaves? Does it go to the trans cooler or pan, or does it flow into the valve body, rest of trans, etc?
Thanks!
As oilhammer states, those transmission lines are not the average size. It's pretty big.

I have a some pieces of the rubber line and some hard lines that run along the radiator that I will be using to add an external cooler. The inner diameter of the hard line is around 9.9 mm and the outer diameter is around 12.05 mm. The hose inner diameter is about 12.3 mm and the outer diameter is around 19.3 mm.

With that said, there is a lot of fluid pumping through those lines and goes through fast. (don't ask me how I know) I would be worried about any restrictions that maybe put into that circuit with a filter installed there.

Here is a post from MOGolf about the flow.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2986312&postcount=2

Last edited: