Injector seal

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
One of my injectors (the second from the left when standing in front of the car) have an air leak. I am planning on changing the copper seal of that injector.

Though, I ordered this IP seal kit last year because my IP was leaking diesel:
https://www.dieselgeek.com/TDI_Injection_Pump_Seal_Kit_p/pmp-fullkit.htm

It fixed my IP leak, and I still have the remaining seals from the kit that I didnt used. I am wondering if the 6 coppers seals you see in the picture of the kit are seals for injectors? It looks like it, but I am not sure, I want to make sure its really the copper seals for the injectors before taking the injector out.

Thanks

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
OK thanks, and how can I clean the surface where the seal sits without dirt making its way into the Combustion Chamber ?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Use a foam ear plug. You can remove it with a wood screw.

Or put the piston somewhere on the compression stroke then you can crank the engine and blow it out. Of course if you goof up and put the piston on the power stroke it might suck it in.

I doubt a little carbon dust would hurt anything but I'd plug it too.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I don't see it hurting anything if it falls in. Almost all the crap that builds up comes from in the cylinder anyways. We just wiped it with a rag than gave it a brake cleaner. Real brake cleaner btw. Not the "green" stuff lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Use carb/choke cleaner on the area BEFORE you remove the injector. I will hit with compressed air to help disburse the loosened up material.

When you have the injector pulled run a gun bore barrel brush (nylon or brass) on the end of a hand drill (use some car/choke cleaner). I cannot recall what size of brush (google should be able to find it for you).

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
OK thanks, and how can I clean the surface where the seal sits without dirt making its way into the Combustion Chamber ?
I use a clean rag with some PB Blaster on it and a pair of long surgical tweezers. Wrap the rag on the end of the tweezers so it fits into the injector hole and turn. Cleans up nice. Then I shop vac the hole to remove any loose particles.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
12 gauge shotgun barrel cleaner is what I bought, but I ended up cleaning mine with cotton swabs on the end of a pair of pliers.

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Awesome, I should be good to clean the injector hole.

Though, should I clean the injector itself by any means before reinserting it?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If it's been leaking for long you may have some damage to the seat. Might have to lap it.

Look carefully for a groove.

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
This weekend I tried to remove the injector, but without success. It's totaly frozen in place, it doesn't move at all. I tried rotating it clockwise using a 15mm wrench and it won't budge. Does my only option is to build a DIY injector puller ?

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
This weekend I tried to remove the injector, but without success. It's totaly frozen in place, it doesn't move at all. I tried rotating it clockwise using a 15mm wrench and it won't budge. Does my only option is to build a DIY injector puller ?
Or buy one of these;

http://www.metalnerd.com/cat10.htm

You want the MN1818. I managed to find one on Ebay at a nice discount,
but that was just luck. Haven't used mine yet, but my rebuilt injectors should be ready this week, I figger buying the purpose built tool is cheaper than paying someone else to do it.

Cheers,
R*2

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I used PB Blaster on mine when I pulled them@125k miles and they came out with minimal wiggling and next to zero force required to come out of the head. Until I tried PB blaster I didn't believe it would do what it does so well.

94cobra2615

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Wagon
You could try a brass drift and a small sledge hammer. Put the drift on top of the injector and hold the sledge about 8" above it and let it drop onto the drift. Do it a couple times, then put the retainer and bolt back on and tighten down. Might seal it up.
I just recently had 2 injectors leaking compression and this method sealed it up.

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
If it's been leaking for long you may have some damage to the seat. Might have to lap it.

Look carefully for a groove.
That scares me.. can I still drive it for a couple of days until I order the MN1818 ?

Its been leaking air like this since february... do you think the injector seat is already busted?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
You could try a brass drift and a small sledge hammer. Put the drift on top of the injector and hold the sledge about 8" above it and let it drop onto the drift. Do it a couple times, then put the retainer and bolt back on and tighten down. Might seal it up.
I just recently had 2 injectors leaking compression and this method sealed it up.
The copper washers are annealed/soft. Seating the injector like above can also
be done using the slide hammer. Re-using the washers? Heat to red hot and water quench. Might want to polish the faces with some fine wet and dry or
rub them on a fine stone to clean and true them up.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If it's been leaking that long I doubt a few more days will make a difference. Maybe try seating it as described above.