Injector repair, help!

Italiano1212

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Hi I’m new to the forums so idk if this is the right place to post this. I have an 06 VW Jetta tdi 5spd manual with around 180k on it. About a month ago I noticed it was shaking a bit at an idle and soon after came the CEL for a cylinder 4 misfire. I took it into the shop ( I’m new to tdi’s and diesels in general) and my mechanic pulled the crank out to find that the top of my injectors, where the rocker meets the spring was severely worn away. I’m already having him do new rockers, cam shaft, timing belt, and all that good stuff but I’m not looking forward to buying injectors. My mechanic ohmed all four out and they tested good so I’m wondering if I can find that little piece at the top of the spring on my injector anywhere instead of buying a whole set of injectors? I’ll attach a photo so hopfully you guys can get an idea of what I’m talking about. Thx

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
They come included in an injector seal kit.
If the pins look like that then the rocker adjustment screw tip is damaged as well.
038198051C is the OEM part number for the kit and they are available in the aftermarket for about $22 per injector.
They should not have worn out after 180K miles. That leads me to believe that perhaps the rocker screw adjustment was incorrect and binding.
And , that may have affected the injector's internals...possibly damaged them. Make sure that the person installing them knows how to adjust them.
If no one answers on whether the injectors would for sure be damaged then you can get 4 kits and find out what you have for $88. The pins pull right out of the top of the injector spring seat.

1617756291850.png

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Another thing to check is the plugs in the ends of the rocker arms. There are two little aluminum plugs that gets peened into each end of the oil galley in each of the two rockers. These can tend to work loose over the miles and fall out...quite often they will fall into the holes in the camshaft caps where the head bolts are. It is easy enough to fix this.

Italiano1212

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I just ordered the kit shown above, two new rockers shafts ( they were pretty badly warn from riding on the top of the injector) and I figured a new cam and timing belt while I’m at it couldn’t hurt. Hopefully my injectors aren’t damaged. Thanks for the help