Injection sprocket bolts

Tdipwr11

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
Hey, I've been on the forum before with an old email and can't login anymore but am curious about something

I was going to adjust my injection pump timing with vcds and noticed 1 of the three bolts were green (stretch)

Can I remove the green stretch bolt and replace it with the updated reusable bolt, leaving the other two bolts secure?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Hey, I've been on the forum before with an old email and can't login anymore but am curious about something

I was going to adjust my injection pump timing with vcds and noticed 1 of the three bolts were green (stretch)

Can I remove the green stretch bolt and replace it with the updated reusable bolt, leaving the other two bolts secure?
Yes

Tdipwr11

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
18ft pounds to the 3 injection sprocket bolts doesn't hold it for me? It shifted twice with two torque wrenches (same brand) thought one was defective. I ended up hand tighten until I feel it flat out but even now my timing said dead on and now says slightly advanced. The needle didn't shift much. What are your thoughts?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Probably some sort of contamination (grit, etc) on the hub or the back side of the sprocket. I've never had the IP sprocket even HINT at slipping well before 18ft/lbs on several of these vehicles. IMHO take it apart and figure out what's going on.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Slipping is going to retard the timing. Having all the bolts loose and then tightening one up to 18 is a risk to having things move IMO.
cheers,
Douglas

Tdipwr11

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
That's what happened the timing was retarded twice when trying to tighten all bolts to 18. I was using the cheapest style torque wrench when trying. In the end I hand tightened all bolts until it was snug without putting much pressure to really torque the bolts and have driven alot and rechecked and timing is good enough for me. I was aiming for dead on, but it's just above the blue line which I've heard isn't a bad thing. I've checked that the bolts remained snug after driving too and I think it's ok. Will check again down the road make sure they are tight

Tdipwr11

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
I think the torque wrench was garbage. It was $30cdn on sale. I bought a digital one, but didn't open it to ensure I could return it & settled on tightening with a 3/8" ratchet until I felt the bolt "seat" requiring pressure to really start torquing. I didn't go too hard, just practically snugged them up. Drove a while and re checked bolts and timing and it never changed, bolts were ok it seemed

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
They're stupid-expensive, but if you can ever find a ⅜" Snap-on electronic torque wrench on FB or CL or kijiji, find the money - your future self will thank you many times over.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I run timing at the just at the upper 'limit' line. When put to 'cloud' reading, every now and then one is above it.
cheers,
Douglas

Tdipwr11

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
Tried another torque wrench off Amazon, and that too felt too light. I ended up just snugging these bolts up tight, too the point you feel the sprocket bottom out, bolt firmed up. Not cranked. No issues yet. Timing is set dead on, good starts

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Sounds like you're in the ballpark.
Spec is 18ft.lb (25Nm), so picture a 20lb dumbbell at the end of a 1ft. lever (e.g, roughly your forearm length). Definitely not nothing, but you don't need to brace yourself and put your back into it.

Last edited:

Tdipwr11

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
That's a good way to reference torque, I'll have access to a snap on torque wrench and if I can get it in there maybe I'll double check final torque with that tool. I have a feeling I'm at about 16 right now, I was playing conservative because I wasn't sure if you can damage the pump if overtorquing. Nothing quite works like snap on

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sounds like you might be reading inch pounds or Newton mm. They're nothing special. I've never used a torque wrench for those. gootentite, you should not need to go near breaking or stripping the things.