Injection Quantity Detailed info needed

rjsummer

TDI
Gray 2003 TDi GLS 5spd Sunroof
I have a 2000 Tdi ALH 5spd and my pump was leaking. I had the local bosch shop replace the seals but he warned me that the quantity adjuster might be slightly off and that they didnt have the equipment there to set it. So, he said they mark the top cover and set a jig against it to get it back really close to the spot it was before the repair. Got the work done, and car runs fine, leak gone, but now there is some white smoke when driving. Not tons but its noticable to the point where a cop might some day pull me over for having a smoky car. So, I'd like to try to adjust the quantities with VCDS, but I'm not clear on the values I would input. Can anyone help? Questions...
1. Are all ALH Manual cars the same values for adaptation and IQ settings?
2. If yes, where can I find a table of the factory or default values?
3. If I want to adjust the amount of fuel injected, I want a lower IQ number, but to change that I input an adaptation number... likely 5 digits long, right?
4. If I want to adjust the adaptation number up (less fuel and smoke) , by how much then? By tens, or hundreds or thousands?

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
What is your IQ at after being resealed?

They mark the IQ housing in relation to the IQ mount position, so when reassembling they try to position the IQ housing as close as possible to the mark on the IQ mount location.
With the engine running you need to bring up the IQ display in VCDS, and you would like for it to be somewhere around 3.6-4.0 if it's way off you need to do what's called "The Hammer Mod" if it's too low you need to tap the top of the IQ cover from the right, and too high tap from the left. Before tapping you need to back off of the bolts slightly ( Holding down the IQ Housing only) try to have someone watch the numbers in the IQ display as you tap, it doesn't take much to get it to change. As you tighten thebolts back up the numbers can change, so you may need to re-adjust.

rjsummer

TDI
As the tech explained it to me, the cover slides front to back along the length of the pump. He says the adjustment and increment of adjustment of the top cover, aka quantity adjustment is increadibly fine.

The hammer mod I've read about seems increadibly crude and a huge bit of guess work/ gamble. I'm afraid to try it for fear that I could really screw up the adjustment or make the car undriveable. I's much rather try it in VCDS first to see if I can make the needed change. I just need numerical details on the adaptation thing so I can intelligently adjust it instead of bumbling around in the program....

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
It just sounds crude, but it is very controlled way of making the adjustment. Place your laptop on a table where you can see the screen from the front of the car so you can see exactly what your doing, there is no guess work doing it this way, as you tap you increase/decrease in very small increments. It is so slight it's not measureable.

Last edited:

rjsummer

TDI
So I just loosen the 4 bolts on the top so it can be moved with a tap, but no so loose I can move it with a finger? Secondly, once I loosen those bolts, will it leak diesel fuel?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Just follow the guide I posted, the bolts are only just loosened so it can be tapped but doesn't go flying or leak fuel.

rjsummer

TDI
Comparitive Data

So, havent changed anything yet, physically or software wise but I did check it out with VCDS, here's what I saw... and test conditions were, both engines hot, (90 degrees, straight up ) all electrical consumers switched off.
My 2003 ALH TDI
Idle.... 1.4-1.6-1.8 mg/st, adaptation is 32768.
In 3rd gear, at 40 km/h, cruising...2.6-2.8 mg/st

The 2000 tdi that had the pump resealed...
Idle.... 3-4-4.2-5 (ranging) adaptation is 32645
In 3rd gear, at 40 km/h, cruising....2.4-3.4

****So, if I go hammer mod, do I want to aim for the idle numbers of the 03?
****If I wanted to go VCDS adaptation method, could I just punch in 32768, and expect the idle numbers to follow suit on the 2000?

rjsummer

TDI
Another question, a year or more ago my engine started idling rough, but driving fine. I took it to a VW specializing garage and they fixed the rough idle mostly by adjusting something with VCDS. Would they have played with the idle stabilization settings or would they have changed the adaptation for IQ?