Injection Pump.

Bernhardt

What series of Bosch injection pumps does the TDI use?

I'm thinking that a "limp" mode could be created by disconnecting all the electrical connections from the pump, and then running a hot wire directly from the battery to fuel shut-off solendoid. This will work as long as the fuel metering is done mechanically.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Not only a light but the car won't run!!
You need all those funny wires because that's your throttle cable buddy!!

Drive-By-Wire means no wires, no drive.

DB

Bernhardt

DB, that's why I asked. I wasn't sure the TDI was drive by wire. They're kind of rare out here in California which is one of the main reasons I don't own one yet. Some of the electronic pumps are basicaly mechanical pumps with electronic controls thrown on. So you know what series the pump is anyway?

------------------
82 VW Pickup, 1.6TD, 5spd, 328k
94 F350 PSD

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
OH, MICKEY!!!

My car is back in chicago so I can't run out and see what the pump model is. The pump has some pretty neat stuff in it. It is able to sense fuel temperature, adjust injection timing (without actually moving the pump as in the older models), adjusting fuel quantity per stroke and quite a few other things. Bottom line it is entirely electronicly controlled.

The pump still has mechanicals in it but they require the electronics to control normal functions. As far as hooking up a jumper wire I don't believe the pump will work because the pump will advance the fuel to the point that the engine won't run.

DB

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The current A4 chassis uses the Bosch VE VP 37. But a 1.6 TD would not have the electronic controls, so your theory should work. I am assuming the trucks in your signature are what you refer to.

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
Ski resorts closed! Break out the cameras and fly rod ...

S

SkyPup

All four cylinder TDI's have the Bosch VE VP37 electronic controlled rotary distributor pump, it is basically like that mechanical one in the pic but much more complicated with all the electronic controls.

M

mickey

I know I've made this point before, but it's worth repeating at this juncture: Virtally ALL cars are drive-by-wire these days! Most gassers do have a cable that controls the throttle valve, but the fuel injection electronics are entirely dependent upon data from a throttle body-mounted Throttle Position Sensor. Bad sensor=no gas. Hopefully that'll put people's minds at rest who might be worried about the reliability of the TPS. Every car has one these days, and they seem to be very reliable. VW simply takes it a step further by eliminating the mechanical connection. Since a diesel has no throttle valve, there is no need for a cable. They simply mount the TPS on the "gas" pedal where it belongs.

There are a few gassers that are completely drive-by-wire, with no cables at all. (The C5 Corvette comes to mind.) But they are actually more complex than the TDI system because they require servos for both the fuel injection AND the throttle. Twice as many things to go wrong!

-mickey

Bernhardt

The picture of the internals agrees with a Bosch Handbook I've got(wherever it is). I guess I was thinking that the VP37 was closer to the early "electronic"(which could be "limped" ie made to act like my pure mechanical unit) pumps than it is.