Injection pump took a poop and looking for options in southern california

miclark

TDI
2011 jetta wagon manual
Hi TDICLUB, The injection pump gave up and left metal shavings in the pump and fuel filter and probably throughout the fuel system. I read many forums on it and don't think we want to spend the money to have a local shop do the work. I'm thinking that if I can find a crashed car I can take the hopefully known good parts off it and have a shade tree mechanic put them in. Or, If I can't I may sell this one as a mechanics special or for parts. It is a grey 2011 sportwagen, 127,000 miles, 6 Spd manual, almost new clutch and new timing belt and water pump. It was running great til it quit. anybody out there have any suggestions on sourcing a parts car, mechanic or an offer? Thank You, Mike

Shoveltrev

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle deceased, 2003 jetta . 2002 jetta , 2012 sportwagon
if you feel comfortable messing with timing belt idparts has a fuel system kit with everything possible u need for 3 grand . i know it sounds luike a lot but its everything, lift pumps. inj pump injectors hardlines rail. return lines everthing. its hard to piece that all together for that price

miclark

TDI
2011 jetta wagon manual
Thank you Shoveltrev, I'll check that out. I can probably figure out how to clean the fuel tank....I'm not too excited about another injection pump of the same quality but I'll read up again about the filter system after the pump if it is still the way to go and available.

2012jsw

TDI
2012 jsw, 2010 jsw
I have a brand new set of special timing belt tools that I just used to do my timing belt. I’m in SoCal and don’t foresee needing them again, so I could save you tax/shipping on them.
Look into the cp4 upgrade, not sure if anybody is still making them. I’m sure somebody on here will chime in about them

Edit - cp3 pump

it appears there are some out on the market still for about 3k
Doesn’t come with full fuel lines

Last edited:

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Uff, I had the same thing happen to my jsw at 162k. The total bill at an independent vw shop was $4800. For my money, I'd rather have a reputable shop do it, if you're gonna do it, cause then they're on the hook for any mistakes. Also, for what it's worth, the HPFP is a low-failure item, so if you decide to fix this car, you shouldn't worry too much about replacing it with the same piece.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Also, for what it's worth, the HPFP is a low-failure item
Failure rate is so low, there are only two threads dedicated to the topic.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...ump-hpfp-failure-faq-updated-2-8-2011.286380/

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The failure rate was much higher on the '09 and '10 MY cars. Most of those got fed to the crusher years ago, so you don't hear about the failures several times a week like in the past.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Failure rate is so low, there are only two threads dedicated to the topic.

There's 2 threads because it's such a catastrophic problem when it fails, not because it happens all the time. Which you can read about in those threads.