Injection pump timing

Ian Pick

TDI
VW T4 1.9 AHU 2000
Hello, I hope someone can help.

I've installed the engine from a Golf Mk3 into my VW T4.
The engine is an AHU 1.9 TDI.
During the process I removed the injection pump from the engine and it now needs to go back on.

The IP sprocket is keyed to the shaft so positioning it is obvious.
What I need to know is, and I'm probably answering my own question, is the initial positioning of the IP determined by lining up the two 15mm holes in the sprocket and the cast iron bracket?
The ABL injection pump has a facility to pin the sprocket into a hole in the IP body. The AHU pump has a 12mm hole in the pump body that I assumed I would use but it appears to serve no useful purpose.
I know that I'll have to have someone tune it properly with the VagCom stuff but I need to get it running first.
I am having the electronic accelerator pedal fitted as the original was a cable operated, ABL pump and engine.
I did run the engine with the ABL pump initially but that's the wrong thing to do so. I did it so I could utilise the cable throttle pedal as I got a donor engine only, no electrics.
It's now back to original AHU and electronic pump but I can't find any information about the installation of the IP and its positioning.
Can someone point me in the right direction or to other threads please?
TIA

Last edited:

Ian Pick

TDI
VW T4 1.9 AHU 2000
Thanks jimbote.
That's how I've positioned it, but it's more like 5 o'clock.
I just needed that confirmation.
Incidentally, I used a 15 mm drill bit from Toolstation, I'm UK, the blacksmith drill bit, and just cut the 12mm shank off. That end is not hardened.