Injection pump timing?

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
so I had a look at both my cars on vcds and my jetta which is my daily and stock and the timing is on point for injection pump timing, I look at my golf which has 11mm pump,injectors, vnt17, etc its waay over spec at 100/100 now my question do more tuned tdi raise injection timing? Now I just can't see it being raised this much, should I bring it back to stock numbers or is this fine.. thanks guys hope to find the answer.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Adjust the pump, I'm a touch advanced at 57 on the graph. Idparts has a good video.
I find using a light hammer on the wrench is better than trying to muscle it.
IIRC, you want to move the wrench towards the firewall to retard.

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Adjust the pump, I'm a touch advanced at 57 on the graph. Idparts has a good video.
I find using a light hammer on the wrench is better than trying to muscle it.
IIRC, you want to move the wrench towards the firewall to retard.
Okay perfect thank you:), now why do you think this happened it coming out that much should I be looking for other problems or does this just happen over time I got a new timing belt about 30 000kms ago so I dont think its related to that?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
You’re advance solenoid could be sticking it that was not where you had set it. Might be time to run some purge through it

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
any competent remap will change the timing maps, usually people leave the mechanical timing alone though

mine's at 6 degrees btdc for easier cold starting
so waaaaaay off the chart for 'stock' timing

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, tuned or not, big injectors or not, static (mechanical) timing is only there to start the engine, so safe to leave it alone.

Once the engine starts the ECU takes over the timing and no longer cares what the pump is set to (unless it's so far out the ECU can't bring it into map range).

This means once the engine is running timing is in the hands of whoever wrote your tune. :)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Unless the advance mechanism is not working properly, purge it and see if it changes. You can also cycle the solenoid through vcds to see if it is operating in output tests

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or do you mean the ecu is specifying 100?

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Unless the advance mechanism is not working properly, purge it and see if it changes. You can also cycle the solenoid through vcds to see if it is operating in output tests
Yep just ordered it in doing this weekend before I touch anything.

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Will have to find a video on that thank you:)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You might be able to free it up by running it straight on diesel purge. Cycle the advance mechanism with vcds while purging and also rev the engine

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Yup, tuned or not, big injectors or not, static (mechanical) timing is only there to start the engine, so safe to leave it alone.

Once the engine starts the ECU takes over the timing and no longer cares what the pump is set to (unless it's so far out the ECU can't bring it into map range).

This means once the engine is running timing is in the hands of whoever wrote your tune. :)
Yes I'm not trying to make this happen its just shows me on vcds that it is sitting at thay
any competent remap will change the timing maps, usually people leave the mechanical timing alone though

mine's at 6 degrees btdc for easier cold starting
so waaaaaay off the chart for 'stock' timing
Whats yours sitting at if your just looking at the injection pump timing on vcds? Mines 100/100

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
You might be able to free it up by running it straight on diesel purge. Cycle the advance mechanism with vcds while purging and also rev the engine
So change fuel filter and fill it up with purge?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Whats yours sitting at if your just looking at the injection pump timing on vcds? Mines 100/100
no idea man, I only really look at the timing request and actual, and the cold start valve percent if I'm having troubles
haven't hooked up the vag-com in more than a year at this point, sorry. :\

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So change fuel filter and fill it up with purge?
No, hook it up directly to a bottle of Liquimoli diesel purge and run it on that. Google it for details, don’t forget to use an inline filter. Chances are your solenoid is ok, it’s the parts it’s trying to move are stuck. At least that is what I have found when this comes up. I was able to cycle the solenoid in “output test” while viewing the field that shows timing. Start the test first, then go to the field you’re looking at, don’t touch the throttle or you will stop the test

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I use a giant wine bottle with a steel line that has a curl that rests on the lip of the bottle. If you use fuel hose you must support it or it can get warm and bend and collapse thus cutting off fuel flow

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Drink the wine first and clean the bottle

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
no idea man, I only really look at the timing request and actual, and the cold start valve percent if I'm having troubles
haven't hooked up the vag-com in more than a year at this point, sorry. :\
All good my dude thank you anyway:)

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
... and it really doesn't tell you anything, 'cause the ECU is NOT in Basic Setting mode, so is playing games with the timing (as it should).

Different tunes from different companies = different timing values while the engine is running.