Injection Pump Swap

Drizzit007

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I have a 02 Jetta Automatic. I had an injection pump that was going bad so decided to swap it out. I had previously changed out the timing belt myself last year so I figured I could get through this with no issues. Well after getting the rebuilt pump installed, timing set, and pumped primed I cannot get the car to fire at all. I triple checked the timing and took the injectors out to make sure they were getting fuel and everything seems to check out. I am beating my head against the wall at this point. Nothing I do will get this car to show any signs of even attempting to fire. I am looking for any suggestions of something I may have overlooked.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I know that you checked the pump timing three times, but could you check it one more time using this picture as a guide?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Well after getting the rebuilt pump installed, timing set, and pumped primed I cannot get the car to fire at all.
Did you go through setting the timing belt procedure all over again? Loosen cam sprocket, loosen IP sprocket, and reset belt tensioner?

It must be something simple....and if you're getting fuel, then perhaps your timing is off.

I just swapped injection pumps on my Beetle a couple weeks ago. It's pretty straight forward. Reset all timing, prime pump (takes a couple minutes), and the crack the line nut on top of injector #1 and crank engine until you see fuel (If pump is primed, fuel will show up immediately). Start engine...mine turned over for about 10 seconds before actually starting and running.

Drizzit007

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I have already advanced and retarded the timing as far as it would go each way.

Drizzit007

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I going to try resetting the timing once more and see what happens. Thanks for the responses. Keep suggestions coming if anyone has something else to check. I will report back.

Drizzit007

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Still no luck after checking everything. Is it possible that the pump is defective?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just to get a easy one out of the way, where did your rebuilt pump come from?

(please don't say North Carolina.... please don't say North Carolina... :):) )

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Still no luck after checking everything. Is it possible that the pump is defective?
Anything is possible.

What was wrong with the pump you removed? Was the car running fine before you installed the rebuilt pump?

Is this rebuilt pump from an authorized Bosch shop?(Edit...Vince replied while I was typing...lol)

Drizzit007

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Copperhead Performance out of Pleasant Grove, Utah. I have a message out to them. It came with a one year warranty on it and they had good reviews. I can't say if they were a Bosch authorized shop. I'm starting to get a bad feeling about it now.

Drizzit007

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Sorry to answer your other question Rembrant, the car ran but the pump was clearly going bad. 190k and it was sputtering and surging when setting at idle. The engine jumped all over the place.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Hmmm. Some random thoughts:

- Test light on the shutoff solenoid to confirm power?

- Wiring at the 10-pin plug for the pump OK? No wires broken as you were plugging the new pump in?

- Sounds like you confirmed fuel to the injectors by removing them... did you reinstall them and then bleed them in place?

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
A few months ago while replacing a timing belt on an ALH noticed that the pump lock hole was rotated 180º from the right point, dont believe it came like this from factory so it was probably a bad rebuild. Ended up just doing the usual procedure, but without locking the pump, in the end fine tuned it with vcds and everything went right. Maybe you problem too...

Drizzit007

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
A friend and I had this exact conversation last night about the 180 degree out of whack. I will try this tonight and see what happens. Thanks

Drizzit007

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Just thought I would give everyone a update. The new pump is installed and running. The problem was priming the pump. What I thought was primed was actually not. Went and got a Mityvac and used it to prime the pump and it worked! Thanks everyone that made some suggestions on what the problem could be. So glad I have my Jetta running good again.