Injection Pump Question -- Little Flapper Arm is Stuck

MKIV_TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI, '89 Audi 200 Wagon Quattro 2.5 AEL TDI
Hi all, I've had a few Injection Quantity codes come up via VAGCOM, and now the car won't even turn over and idle.
I took the cover off of my injection pump, and I noticed that the little "flapper arm" (somebody please let me know what the right name is) doesn't move well at all. It takes a lot of force to move it a millimeter or two, and it doesn't spring back.

Thoughts on my options? Can I fix this? I'm not too knowledgeable on the workings of this, but I'd love to give it a shot.

Thanks!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
That's the Quantity Adjuster. It sets the amount of fuel the pump injects. Does it feel like it's rubbing or just tight?

At this point you may as well remove the other three bolts and see if it's the QA hanging up or the collar it moves on the pump plunger.

There are threads on opening the QA up for cleaning. Involves breaking the welded connections that are hidden in that pic by the wrench and thumb.

MKIV_TDI

TDI
It's very, very tight. I have two other engines laying around and each of their quantity adjusters move very freely and spring right back into position.

I'll do more digging around!

MKIV_TDI

TDI
So digging a bit further... this shaft turns very, very hard.

It's an 11mm pump. The engine was an auto.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
https://youtu.be/DdQbrdv78A4
This video shows the area you need to inspect. Before taking it loose, make scribe marks on the cases to get everything put back in the right place.

How did you separate the connections on the wiring block?

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
So you removed it from the pump or just removed the guts of the QA? can't tell from the pic.

You need to pull it off the pump to see if it's the QA shaft or the collar in the pump that's binding. Must likely the QA.