Injection Pump in Minnesota

TDI
2001 Jetta
My wife drove our Jetta from Georgia to Minnesota last week and the car quit running. It sounded like a fuel issue, would start fine but not run. She had it towed to a mechanic and he says it needs a new injector pump (real sticker shock for me). He told me the sensor was not putting out any voltage and it should be between 4.15V and 4.74V. I'm not sure which sensor, or if there are more than one. Since I'm in Georgia, my hands are tied. I need to get my wife and kids home, so I'm looking for a trustworthy VW person that can take a look or provide some advice. The car is currently in Champlin, MN. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Sometimes the sensor can read zero (quantity adjustor block 17) and still run. Sometimes not.

Cost for a new one from VW is $1200 with tax. Labor should be $200.

blacktux

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS PD/BEW
If it's the injection pump, there is a guy on craigslist selling a 11mm for $500 has 242k miles(?).

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
If you need a competent shop right now, call midwest motorworks in Hudson(opposite side of the cities), ask to have Merker work on it.

I wish I had time, I'd be able to help but I'm swamped right now with other things.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
What sensor is he talking about? What mechanic?
I spoke with the mechanic today, and he was referring to quantity adjuster failed based on some info he received from Identifix research and Diesel service shop in Blaine, using his snap on verus scanner he checked for voltage reading in some measuring block and it showed him that its only reading 4.xx volts and should be more. In other words typical scenario when TDI gets into non VW/TDI specialized shop.

My gut tells me its not a IP failed, sounds like typical fuel starvation problem, possibly clogged fuel filter and air in fuel system. I told him to try replace fuel filter and follow fuel system bleeding procedure, also pull out case pressure relief valve and inspect for fallen out internals. So will see what happens once he replaces filter and bleeds air out. Funny thing they didn't even know how to properly bleed fuel system, he mentioned something like first used MityVac then loosening return line...... and nothing about loosening injector lines at injectors after initial priming with mityvac. Anyways hope tomorrow will hear more updates

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
4.xx volts? 4.48 is usually the max voltage the QA will get fed.

I'm trying to figure out how I could possibly find time for this, I haven't slept much in the past few weeks and the future is not looking good for sleep.

This is a good shop, Midwest Motorworks, Hudson Wisconsin: (715) 381-1100, Bob is the owner, Eric Merker(merkerguitars on tdiclub) would be the mechanic working on it. I haven't spoken to them about it, give them a call.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI
If you need a competent shop right now, call midwest motorworks in Hudson(opposite side of the cities), ask to have Merker work on it.

I wish I had time, I'd be able to help but I'm swamped right now with other things.
Hopefully they have gotten better....seen some botched work from them in the past.

jasonTDI

TDI
Admitidly it's been about 3 years.

TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks for all your help and input, you guys are great! I still don't have any firm answers, waiting to hear from mechanic how the fuel filter change and fuel bleed went.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
If the QA adjuster has actually pooped the bed, you're better off getting a replacement pump instead of sending it to DFIS for a rebuild. Last I heard, that was an $800 part alone, but perhaps that has changed. They may have freshly rebuilt pumps for sale, however, and I would use one with confidence. Otherwise, IDParts and others have OE pumps that don't require a core. DO NOT BUY A PROTHE/EMIATA/ROTHENBACHER ENGINEERING [sic] PUMP!

Might as well do the timing belt at the same time if you're remotely close to the mileage, so you need a good TDI mechanic to do the work for you.

jasonTDI

TDI
I can get ANY brand new pump cheap from VW directly. 10 or 11mm

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
4.xx volts? 4.48 is usually the max voltage the QA will get fed.

I'm trying to figure out how I could possibly find time for this, I haven't slept much in the past few weeks and the future is not looking good for sleep.

This is a good shop, Midwest Motorworks, Hudson Wisconsin: (715) 381-1100, Bob is the owner, Eric Merker(merkerguitars on tdiclub) would be the mechanic working on it. I haven't spoken to them about it, give them a call.
Going east from St. Paul on I-94, go up the hill, take exit 4 and turn right, they are on the right.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
The problem is nothing to do with the injection pump as suspected by most everyone..

Timing belt tensioner has no tension, belt is floppy, valves are munched.

I wanted to note, I'm not doing the work, this is just what I heard back from the shop its now at. Took 10 minutes to diagnose, not a week!

Last edited:
TDI
2001 Jetta
Jeff

Thanks for the update, I was just getting ready to post the same thing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I wish we'd been here from the start.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm thinking botched timing job, large lower roller failed, it was the old style with the small bearings. Also, check out the cam sprocket!

Merker was unable to get the cam sprocket off it was on there so tight!

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Oh my lord!!!!!! what a messssssssss!!!!! I never in my life seen such a wonderfull job done on vehicle. Looks like tensioner was over tightened, cam sprocket warped all together caused enormous amount of stress on all TB components and thus the weakest link (big roller) gave out.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Wow! Exactly what I saw (except for the camshaft sprocket) when Jake (MNmiser?) from North Branch came to me with his TDI towed to my garage. Then he had it towed to his house where I did the work.

End up putting a new head and TB kit. Needed a new head due to countless times that people at the VW dealer tried to start the car. All the lifters were showing spider web marks.

I believe Nick stopped by Jake's one day. BTW, keep that large roller. It is a great holder for the fuel filter. You need to take the fuel filter out of the Beetle when you do TB jobs. Where do you put it? On the roller! :)

jasonTDI

TDI
Tensioner was too tight as well.