injection pump head seal

compostbrain

I have replaced it twice without success. First time i squished it somehow even though i thought i was very careful. Second time i was even more careful. Thought i had it when i got the car running again but then I saw the drip drip right under the 13mm bracket bolt. I guess i will order another kit and try again. I followed the instructions like in the video but I guess it is a bit tricky to get that seal in just right. It sure looked good, especially the second time. I inspected with a mirror all the way around and tightened the bolts a bit at time so it went bback in even. Anyone have further suggestions???!

dcurbet

TDI
02 Golf 5 spd
my kit went in no problem. i did take it very slow and methodical did not want to rip any of the seals.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Are you using the green or black oring. If you are stretching the green oring over the head, that might be your problem.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Removing the O-ring on the IP

See what I had to do .........

As I removed the O-ring, it "peeled" off leaving bits stuck to the head. See the pieces of rubber in the groove just below the spring on the left...:eek:

So, I had to remove it and use a Dremel brush to clean the groove ... lots of photos in my albums..

compostbrain

andy bees: looks like you completely removed yours. I am attempting to do it without complete removal of the head. Mine didn't appear to have any residue.

I am using the black viton seals that are supposed to stretch ok.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You sure it's that seal leaking? Not the center plug?

The chamfer on the pump body may be full of dirt and corrosion an damaging the seal as it goes in.

compostbrain

ok ive done some research on the forums. Thanks for the photos Andy Bees! I will first check the plug for leaks. If it is still the head seal I may pull off the head completely now that I've seen how Andy does it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Don't do it on the car that way.
Pull the pump off and have the head facing straight up if your gonna pull the head , otherwise you will be dropping shims into the pump and destroy it upon starting.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I pulled the IP head to clean out the stuck O-ring with the IP still on the engine. It is all documented in my Photo gallery. There is only one shim that will fall out.... Vaseline will hold it in place when going back together. Even if the rollers (I guess that's what they are called) come out of place, it is not rocket science to put them back in place ...... my photos show it!

I highly recommend pressure washing the engine before commencing this job. Being clean is paramount. I used loads of paper towels to protect and keep things clean. My IP has seen about 40k miles since I did the O-ring replacement ..... dry as a bone. That is all I replaced even though I had a complete kit.

EDIT: This link begins with the first pictures on page 5.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=5690&page=5

EDIT: The above link no longer works due to the transition to the new TDI Club Web Site format.... So, below is the correct link. ..
Scroll down to Post #770 and then on down to Post # 777 ....

Below is a pic showing a large paper clip holding the cam plate in place as I am going back together (this photo is in the link)

Below, you can see the only shim that will fall out ... being held in place with Vaseline.

Below, you can see the shim is #4.

Also, Runonbeer's video is a very helpful starting point ...

Last edited:

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Removing the O-ring on the IP

See what I had to do .........

As I removed the O-ring, it "peeled" off leaving bits stuck to the head. See the pieces of rubber in the groove just below the spring on the left...:eek:

So, I had to remove it and use a Dremel brush to clean the groove ... lots of photos in my albums..

Andybeesx
I pulled the IP head to clean out the stuck O-ring with the IP still on the engine. It is all documented in my Photo gallery. There is only one shim that will fall out.... Vaseline will hold it in place when going back together. Even if the rollers (I guess that's what they are called) come out of place, it is not rocket science to put them back in place ...... my photos show it!

I highly recommend pressure washing the engine before commencing this job. Being clean is paramount. I used loads of paper towels to protect and keep things clean. My IP has seen about 40k miles since I did the O-ring replacement ..... dry as a bone. That is all I replaced even though I had a complete kit.

EDIT: This link begins with the first pictures on page 5.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=5690&page=5

Below is a pic showing a large paper clip holding the cam plate in place as I am going back together (this photo is in the link)

Below, you can see the only shim that will fall out ... being held in place with Vaseline.

Below, you can see the shim is #4.

Also, Runonbeer's video is a very helpful starting point ...

I have a 00 alh 11mm ip. My ip head o ring is leaking so I am buying a viton one.

The problem is, I went ahead and took off the head already and jumped the gun. Should have left few screws in and I didnt

It seems like all pieces are still there and nothing is missing. How hard is it to put back together once i have my new seal in? Any good links or pointers you could send my way would really help thank you!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As per my reply to your message ........... scroll down to Post #770 and on down to Post # 777 in the link below to see what I did...