Initial "Alternator Workshop", then normal

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
I've been searching but would like advice, 2005 model with 65k miles. Yesterday a.m.: brief alert (30 sec, 1/8 mi) while creeping down a dirt road. Today a.m.: flashing alert for about 3 miles at normal speed. Each time was upon startup for the day (first drive), then the alert stopped.

Checked:
Alt pulley turns freely one direction, not the other, no looseness/wobble.
Hutchinson belt < 2 mos old, seems tight, belt tensioner appears OK.
Idling, I measured 13.95 V.

Dropped by Autozone:
Battery described OK (pulled down to about 11.5 V)
Voltage regulator 13.75 V
Alternator 115 amps

I'm looking for a loose connection, but it seems odd it happened only at startup. Maybe coincidence but I'll be checking again tomorrow a.m. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

middlemarkal

TDI
passat 5.5 bhw 2004 pd
double check that ²¦²¤¬%&$!"/ alternator pulley, I changed mine a month ago and read alot about that.

Because if that is the probem your looking at a jam pulley, a broken alt belt that gets wrap in the timing belt and a new head...

A friend of mine purchase a used Vw diesel with a broken engine that had such a mecanical failure and he had to purchase another engine completly, the damage was too big.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Turns out it's likely the pulley. Has started making noise. I'll know for sure when I change it later this week.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
"....Because if that is the problem your looking at a jam pulley, a broken alt belt that gets wrap in the timing belt and a new head..."

This would only be possible if TB cover is removed. It's there in the first place to prevent anything from being wrapped around any of the rotating parts. Some engine even have an accessory belt cover.