info ..oil filter housing removal?

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
After really trying to find the MASSIVE leak only thing I can find is "maybe" the oil filter housing, really hard to visually see it:confused: Have a scope still hard to verify..any info on the procedure of removing it? What a pain!..Wife's car 2013 passat, 113,000 miles.. Did a search..no detailed info.. I guess inter-cooler removal and fans is necessary? ..also ..what about the aftermarket ones.. 50.00 (amazon 03L115389H ..good feedback) compared to a oem 03L115389H vw 300.00.... anybody use a 50.00 one?..they are all plastic.. just curious..the original failed to soon!.. Thanx

Last edited:

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
hi forrest resto’s!

sorry that you’re having this trouble too. you’ve probly seen this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=482025

i did remove the intercooler, fans n radiator to fix mine....was a real PITA but not really difficult.

i used the VW part but would have tried a cheaper version if i’d found one at the time.

still not sure why this item fails...should be a part that’d last as long as the engine without issues.

bob.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Thanx BOB!.. yes I did a thorough search and read as much as I could find..Just looking for tips to do the job quickly..no manual for this car..anybody else have additional info? .. Thanx!

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have never done one, but it looks to be a tedious job (lots of nuts, bolts, screws, clips, etc.) but not particularly "difficult". I will assume the NMS' lock carrier comes into service position the same as other VAG products of recent design, and being that the NMS is so large in comparison, it may actually not even need to move much to gain access.

Looking at Alldata, which says it calls for 3.4hr, it just says to remove the charge air cooler assembly, then the dipstick tube, then a hose.

The oil cooler is bolted on top of the oil filter housing, not sure how it is sold, but you may need a few gaskets as well as perhaps wanting to drain the oil AFTERWARDS as it looks like it is possible to get some coolant into the oil passages upon removal.

I think what causes a leak here (because the same thing happens on some VAG gas engines that have plastic filter housings) is people WAY over torque the filters, then the housing gets stressed upon removal (you can actually SEE them flexing).

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanx Hammer.. forgive my ignorance but what is nms?..I thought it means "new mid size"..but I believe your using it in a different context..specifically "nms lock carrier" meaning?... Thanx!

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
does the i/c separate at where the large rubber round 0 seal is? This is difficult to determine..if so this would make it easier..looks like there is 3 parts to the actual i/c going into the intake, the upper 2 parts I would hope would not have to disconnect, just the actual i/c down. .. I am trending towards working more on these TDI's..is alldata worth the expense? Does it show the breakdown of components and the fasteners etc.. disassembly and assembly..As you may know I own a restoration shop and pretty well equipped..have many manuals for mostly pre 2011 cars (especially 1968 -1972 gm cars! My restoration specialty).. need to start updating..have hard books and Mitchelll 1 repair cd's... need more!.. Thanx

Last edited:

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
hi forrest resto’s!

intercooler pops down out of that rubber donut at the top after removing a couple of fasteners....hardest part is removing all of the small coolant hoses without damaging their connecting nipples.

for my money subscribing to Erwin for a day and downloading all the service info for my car was best and cheapest way. i have access to alldata but the Erwin info gives better detail.

Erwin data shows how to put the lock carrier group into the service position but i didn’t bother with all that when i replaced my housing/oil cooler.

the vw part comes complete w both assembled together—plastic filter housing and oil cooler. i couldn’t find an option to buy the plastic filter housing separately.

i believe oil hammer is correct. i believe that my oil filter housing damage happened because the 20 minute oil change house i frequented would use a snap type generic oil filter torque wrench to install the filter. they insisted on this even tho i asked the tech not to use it. also, the filter housing is marked with a torque that matched the fixed setting torque wrench.

when i bought my passat in 2011 i truly believed that it would be the first vw i had ever owned that i wouldn’t hafta work on myself (having owned several starting w a ‘66 beetle in 1970). but i’m back to doing oil changes myself in order to avoid going thru this issue again.

bob.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanx Bob and hammer.. got it off today..not too difficult.. EXCEPT for that damd spring clamp ( I hate spring clamps..even with the proper tools they SUCK!) and hose attached to the oil filter housing!.. What a bear!..also to note.. the original water inlet inner wall is very thin and the plastic casting is defective from what I can tell, the lip ( 2 pieces from what I can tell)) did not just crack..it peeled down the inner wall..the aftermarket (50.00:D) wall is thicker..maybe an improvement ( came complete with filter! But I put in an oem one:cool:..The original housing is definitely defective in my humble opinion..and they want 400.00:eek: for an oem one.. dealer charges 1200.00 to replace this!:eek:

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Glad you got it apart.

Know that the constant tension clamps can be awkward at certain angles, although if you have the proper tools this is rarely an issue. But VAG uses some of the best in the industry, they are by far the easiest to deal with AND they do serve to do the job much better: as they always are holding "just enough" pressure on the hose connection, which in many cases is critical as it goes over something that is plastic. So always use them instead of a screw type clamp. I have had to dig things back apart where someone before me did not do this and fix leaks because those other clamps needed to be tightened, and it was impossible to do after the fact.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Finished it up yesterday morn (mon.)..being on the lift expedited install..to around 5.5 hours for first time doing this..next time will be faster!..only thing that pissed me was the metal water line in front of housing,,blocked access to hose clamp.. "tip" remove all fasteners (4) off housing then able to move it away from metal line to get to clamp DUHH! Wife has put around 100 miles on it already( she drives alot!)..all is well so far with the $50.00 aftermarket housing ( Amazon 03L115389H ) .Like I said,,it looks a little more beefier than original in the ares that could fail.. we'll see!? Thanx for the help!

Last edited: