Info from Valvoline in re 505.01

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
First off, let me introduce myself. I'm a newbie to the forums, but an oldie to TDI, having driven a '96 TDI Passat for 131k miles. Less than a week ago, I traded in my old reliable diesel and stepped into the brave new world of PD with a new Jetta, magic VW oil specs and all. (My Passat was delighted to live on Mobil Delvac 1300 dino truck oil from the local parts emporium. Then again, it was noisy, smelly, and didn't give me whiplash with a touch on the accelerator the way the Jetta can. :))

Anyway, I wanted to pass on the following interesting email I received from Valvoline in regard to my questioning their support of 505.01 for the US market. I realize people get passionate about this stuff; don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger ...

[begin quote]
Durablend Diesel is a European application only. This product is not for
sale in the states. The only oil that we have here in the states that is
suitable for the TDI applications or the recommended 505.01 Volkswagen
specification, is our Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30. No matter
the mileage, this is our only recommendation for the 505.01 spec and will
have to be used for warranty purposes.
[end quote]

[tntdifan again] I realize that Maxlife Full Syn 5w30 is not on the VW approved list. However, the list I saw was also almost a year old; maybe they've certified since then?

:confused: I think I'll probably end up mail-ordering Motul Spec, unless I can scare up a source for Quaker State Diesel Plus locally. But I thought Valvoline's response was interesting.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Welcome aboard!

Why don't you fill out your profile and let us know where you are located? You never know who may be in your area and can point you in the right direction if you need something.

Got to love customer service. Use our product if you want to keep your warranty (even though it is the wrong product which would cause you to lose your warranty).

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
tntdifan said:
[begin quote]
[end quote]

it's a shame they can't reign in their point of contact people:

MaxLife Synthetic is safe for new and rebuilt engines and will not void new car warranties. Recommended for engines specifying API SL/SJ, ACEA A3/B3/B4, BMW LL01/98, VW502.00/505.00, MB229.3/229.1. See owners manual for appropriate viscosity.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oh, wait, I know: 505.00 must be the same as 505.01, right :confused: :rolleyes:

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
:) Well, it is only one digit off. :)

Thanks for looking that up. I can actually believe that it would be 505.00.

It's amazing to me that no American oil companies seem to be interested in going after the 505.01 US market, or 506.01 for that matter. It's not a matter of any additional R&D effort, for crying out loud; most of their European subsidiaries already sell a conformant 505.01 product. Texaco does. Valvoline does. Quaker State does. Mobil does. You can't tell me it would cost that much to market the same product over here. :mad:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
for 505.01 oil, worldimpex.com has decent deals. as does tdiparts.com (i think you get free shipping on a case?), and motul 505.01 from motorspot.com also has free shipping for orders of $100 or more (which would be 3 5L jugs). i've ordered from motorspot and tdiparts, both were prompt and good people to deal with. some dealers also have good prices for the castrol txt 505.01, which might make sense if there is one nearby, though i would prefer ELF, from what i've read.

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS 1.9TDi; 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi
tntdifan said:
First off, let me introduce myself. I'm a newbie to the forums, but an oldie to TDI, having driven a '96 TDI Passat for 131k miles. Less than a week ago, I traded in my old reliable diesel and stepped into the brave new world of PD with a new Jetta, magic VW oil specs and all. (My Passat was delighted to live on Mobil Delvac 1300 dino truck oil from the local parts emporium. Then again, it was noisy, smelly, and didn't give me whiplash with a touch on the accelerator the way the Jetta can. :))

Anyway, I wanted to pass on the following interesting email I received from Valvoline in regard to my questioning their support of 505.01 for the US market. I realize people get passionate about this stuff; don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger ...

[begin quote]
[end quote]

[tntdifan again] I realize that Maxlife Full Syn 5w30 is not on the VW approved list. However, the list I saw was also almost a year old; maybe they've certified since then?

:confused: I think I'll probably end up mail-ordering Motul Spec, unless I can scare up a source for Quaker State Diesel Plus locally. But I thought Valvoline's response was interesting.

Volkswagen TSB 17-05-04, 08/26/05, states that:

Valvoline Durablend Diesel Motor oil 5W-40

Meets VW 505.01, effective the date of the TSB.

VW states also, that some of the 295 oils listed, in this TSB, may not be available in North America.;)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Karl, is the 5W40 Valv product available for sale in NAmerica?

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS 1.9TDi; 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi
Frank M said:
This list can't be the latest list, Amsoil is not listed on either of them..:confused:
Frank M,

Amsoil has not had their oil approved via the Volkswagen Oil Quality Standard approval process for VW 505.01 and, as best as I can tell, never have for the all applicable standards for VW /Audi's North American market which are VW 502.00, VW 505.00, and VW 505.01.

Unless VW /Audi have issued new TSB's in the last week these are the latest for North America.

Please reference:

Audi Technical Service Bulletin, 17 05-02, Dated: July 26, 2005.

Volkswagen Technical Service Bulletin 17 05-04, Dated August 26, 2005.
Volkswagen Technical Service Bulletin 17 05-05, Dated August 26, 2005.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/vw_tb_17-05-05.pdf

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/vw_tb_17-05-041.pdf

:D

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
License and Registration please !!!

karlaudi said:
Amsoil has not had their oil approved via the Volkswagen Oil Quality Standard approval process for VW 505.01 and, as best as I can tell, never have for the all applicable standards for VW /Audi's North American market which are VW 502.00, VW 505.00, and VW 505.01.
The bottle states it is ok for 505.00
Unfortunately I do not see it on this current list. Perhaps some one can post the Official VW Certification document..
This is like being stopped by the police and not able to produce a valid license. All the excuses to the police man will just fall on deaf ears..

Last edited:

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Frank M said:
This is like being stopped by the police and not able to produce a valid license. All the excuses to the police man will just fall on deaf ears..
Unless you are female and blond. :)