Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
you are all welcome! Thanks pappy for the "margaritas!" And thanks everyone for coming and bringing food. I'm glad we actually got to hang out and socialize without too much wrenching. I'd happily do it again sometime!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
[/URL]
I took this picture today while riding north on Meridian in Indianapolis. Glad I was able to take a picture because its hard to believe! Yes, that is a rabbit diesel underneath that EZ-GO.

Zach3290

TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
hey do any of you guys have a vag-com by chance?? i just got my 99 jetta tdi with 317,000 and i feel it needs to be looked at lol i live in terre haute and i havent seen to many tdi's here

jtforema

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi 5sp
Hey guys!! I'm from Avon/brownsburg on the west side.. Also looking for vag com. Would live to meet up! Also looking for a good tuner in Indiana. I have an 06 jetta w/ 5 speed. Please let me know if you guys know of anyone

Thanks!
Justin

Onefast66nova

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 golf
Anyone in the metro area with a mk6 with performance down pipe and exhaust? Would like to hear it before spending the money. Thanks. Bill

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Water Temp ?

What temperature should my NB run at ?

I managed to pick up an bluetooth OBDII connector for free (thanks to Carvoyant) and it was registering 150*F on the way to work today.

If I need to replace the t-stat, how difficult is it?

Thanks
Tony W

gunselman

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi, Black
What temperature should my NB run at ?

I managed to pick up an bluetooth OBDII connector for free (thanks to Carvoyant) and it was registering 150*F on the way to work today.

If I need to replace the t-stat, how difficult is it?

Thanks
Tony W
I did mine a few months ago. It is a 2 screw procedure. I would recommend the thermostat housing to be changed as well. It is a plastic housing that is very brittle. You will need to add some coolant afterwards because you will probably lose some during the install. You should use the VW coolant that you buy at the dealership. It comes 100% (not mixed) so you have to mix it yourself.

I can help you out if you need help.

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
I did mine a few months ago. It is a 2 screw procedure. I would recommend the thermostat housing to be changed as well. It is a plastic housing that is very brittle. You will need to add some coolant afterwards because you will probably lose some during the install. You should use the VW coolant that you buy at the dealership. It comes 100% (not mixed) so you have to mix it yourself.

I can help you out if you need help.
I've got coolant leftover from when Growler did my TB, that should be plenty.

OEM or aftermarket t-stat ?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, what they said.
NB's gauges suck without the temp needle, just the stupid muti-colored light.
I like to use VW parts as much as possible. I have seem T-stat's from Autozone that haven't worked right out of the box.
The only other thing I would suggest is if you haven't done your temp sensor yet, you probably should do that also. Since there will already be coolant spilled everywhere... They are cheap, too. Either one could be affecting your mileage a little too.

Last edited:

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Yep, what they said.
NB's gauges suck without the temp needle, just the stupid muti-colored light.
I like to use VW parts as much as possible. I have seem T-stat's from Autozone that haven't worked right out of the box.
The only other thing I would suggest is if you haven't done your temp sensor yet, you probably should do that also. Since there will already be coolant spilled everywhere... They are cheap, too. Either one could be affecting your mileage a little too.
Where's the coolant temp sensor at on the NB? I don't recall replacing it...

Again the question of aftermarket vs. oem from ID parts it's a difference of $16 vs. $35 :confused:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
It's inside the back of a coolant flange, back side of the motor on the drivers side (I think it's the same on NB's) You will see wires coming from it. It is held in by a c-clip, and has an o-ring around it that you should get a new one when you replace the sensor.
as far as oem/ aftermarket? the last time I bought an OEM one it was like $16 I think...
Check with boraparts.com and see if there is a better deal out there. If you know your part #, you might also check worldimpex just for comparison.

VW06TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta
Where do you buy diesel in Hamilton County? Owned a Ford 7.3 and it always ran better on CO-OP B20. This TDI is a whole different beast!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I run co-op b20 in mine, have for about 100k now...
Your '06 would be fine with b5. I think some guys are running 10 or 20, buy you might want to read up a little on the higher blends.
I also buy about 150 gallons per week of petro diesel for my work trucks and equipment- we have an account at speedway and haven't ever had any bad fuel that I know of. There are only a couple speedways around that don't have diesel- like 37/32 by home depot, but the one a block away by Jim Dandy's does. Go Figure!

VW06TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for the info DCELL. I just had the pleasure of changing the DSG fluid and broke the plastic snorkel. I am learning you just can't go to the parts store and get things for VW's.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
nope. but there are some really, really knowledgeable people at a few vw specific online vendors if you don't mind waiting a few days for parts. or you can order at a vw dealer and wait a few days for the parts, then go back and pick up. your choice!

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Where do you buy diesel in Hamilton County? Owned a Ford 7.3 and it always ran better on CO-OP B20. This TDI is a whole different beast!
We've been buying B-5 (wife's Passat TDI, Deere 3520 and 997)
and B-20 (my NB-TDI) for years - started when the Noblesville Coop
started by offering B-2; then CountryMark took over and it's been
B-5 and B-20 ever since. B-50 - B100 would be nice to have.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I remember the b-2 days. I was living in Muncie at the time and I drove half way across delaware county to get it. Then I joined NBB and found lots of stations around that carried it. I don't want to say I moved to Noblesville because of the co-op, but I definitely knew where to buy fuel before I moved here! When they re-did the station a few years ago and put in the 5-10-20 pump and the ethanol pump, I was duly impressed. I hated using the old gasboy credit terminal anyway..

BigJare

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Looking for someone that has VAG COM that could help me out to evaluate a flashing glow-plug light and also limp mode (which I have done a few things to try to fix). Any help would be appreciated -- I drive from the north side of Indy to Columbus everyday so I am open to meeting any area. Thanks - Jared

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
I'm one of the 06's who runs b-20. Other then having to replace the fuel filter a fiew times the first 10,000mi I have nothing happen out of the norm.

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
Has anyone ever had any problems with their power windows? While i was at lunch today my drivers side window stopped working, all the others work fine. From what i can tell there is still power going to the window moter becouse i can here it clicking when i flip the switch. When i get home ill have to more into this. 2 cents is more then welcome!!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
window problems were MUCH more common on the 99.5-2004 models, but VW's have never been known for great power windows. Do you hear any movement? stuck up or down? If it's clicking, you might have some success pulling the inner panel off and seeing if it's somehow stuck, jammed on something, etc. If it just clicks and won't free itself, then it's probably going to need a regulator or motor you can test the motor by itself if you unbolt it. You can also test the switches by moving the wire connector to the passenger side to try it. The older jettas break so frequently that vw makes a repair kit for the regulator. Maybe one is available for yours, but I don't know! Good luck!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
If anyone is interested, my "other" hobby is vintage motorcycles... The biggest vintage bike show in indy is this weekend: http://www.rockersreunionindy.com/
I will be competing for best stocker with my 1974 Honda cL200 everyone is welcome to come check it out!

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
You can count me in on checking out the bike show. I have an uncle who reworks old HD's and Indians. I have a soft spot for the old bikes:)
Now as far as the window I pulled the rubber back on the door and found that where the door opens and closes the wires where crimping and in my case the drivers window wire broke in half. VW didn't give much extra wire so I ended up splicing in new wire and heat raping it. It's working for now but from the looks of the other wires I'm only buying time in till a new harness is needed.