Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
So are we going to adopt june 7

as the official indy TDI GTG date or the weekend closest since we cannot remove the poll?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
I cant, I have a bunch of stuff to do this weekend.
June sounds good though, considering the poll has been on this thread for YEARS!! Might as well make use of it!

Onefast66nova

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 golf
Well I am a noob and would like to meet some other ppl that have the same car and hobbies lol but sat does not work for me either.

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
So i guess not?
I'd love to, but I'm a little busy. I purchased 6 rental properties from my father's estate, and they all need a little work. The most promising one is this:

The small barn is 30x40. The larger one is 50x60 and has a partially furnished 2nd story apartment. Unfortunately they are both full of junk that i have to go through and decide what to keep and what goes in the dumpster. So most of my free time has been consumed by that.

However once it's done, the smaller one will make a nice work shop with compressed air and a lift in it. Just perfect for TDI get togethers :D that is IF you guys are willing to drive up to Lafayette ;)

Catmandew

TDI
2002 Jetta Auto
Guys, I'm just moving to the area. My car (2002 Jetta TDI, Auto) is in Limp Trans mode. AutoZone scan indicates p0722 (output speed sensor circuit condition) and p0730 (open or short circuit condition). Where would you guys recommend to go to get the work done?

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Shout Out for DCELL

A quick thanks to DCELL! :D

My 06 Jetta TDI was due for another timing belt. I also replaced the alternator pulley and serpentine tensioner...it was crazy loud and the serp belt was toast. She purrs like a kitten now. I'm at a 165k now and she's good for another 100k at least.

Thanks, Dcell

PappyD

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry the pic is huge, and I'm hoping PappyD doesn't mind, but this is a good example of why NOT to wait too long to get a strange noise checked out! This serpentine belt was thrashed to the point of being very close to breaking I'm sure. The alt pulley was toast and the tensioner was bouncing around like mad. I'm really glad it didn't go another day. Thanks for letting me get it fixed up for you!

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Sorry the pic is huge, and I'm hoping PappyD doesn't mind, but this is a good example of why NOT to wait too long to get a strange noise checked out! This serpentine belt was thrashed to the point of being very close to breaking I'm sure. The alt pulley was toast and the tensioner was bouncing around like mad. I'm really glad it didn't go another day. Thanks for letting me get it fixed up for you!
LOL! Yes, that is my belt. :rolleyes: This past week or so the noise became much worse. About 3 months ago was when I started noticing the tensioner vibrating/jumping a little too much. Obviously it did get worse...better get this fixed along with the timing belt job!

After checking out many threads on the forum and listening to a few YouTubes I figured out it had to be the alt pulley. This is my first diesel and first VW so I was looking for some local help. The Jetta is amazingly quiet now with a new alt pulley, serp belt and tensioner. Ordered all the parts from IDI Parts. Top end components too.

Dcell has a great set-up and is a super guy to work with. :D

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
A little about what I've been up to:
After fixing Catmandew's trans last weekend, I made the journey to Ohio to pick up my new project. It's not what you probably think though, it's not a car, but it IS automotive related! I purchased the remaining contents of my father-in-law's NAPA/ Pro Hardware store, which he closed last year. I am now the proud owner of several hundred quarts of oil and fluids, tons of plumbing and electrical fittings, hardware, fasteners, hundreds of tools, bits, blades, more misc. items than you could possibly imagine, and some you probably could imagine. I'm going back to Ohio this weekend for some of the racks and fixtures and more boxes of stuff. I guess I'm going to spend the next few weekends separating, sorting and trying to figure out what the heck to do with all this stuff. It's more than I can ever use in a lifetime, so I plan to keep some and try to move the rest!
If any of you guys need anything at all hardware or tool related, check with me before you buy anything! I'll be making smokin' deals to friends!

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
congrats!
Welcome to the world of sorting through things that you don't know what to do with ;)
If you need any tool boxes to put any of that in, let me know.

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
Do we have anyone in our little clan who has access to a car lift.? I have a newish toy that to proving to be a pain to work on from pavement level!!

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
The lifts seem to be fairly priced from what I can tell. It sucks my garage is to low to put one in and do much good with it.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3410209&postcount=1531

Mine will put my golf into the ceiling if I'm not careful. It leaves plenty of room underneath to work, as long as you don't plan to stand or walk around under it. I only have 9' ceilings in the garage. If I put a truck on it, I can only get it off the ground a couple feet. Either way, it beats the heck out of jack stands and ramps any day!

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3410209&postcount=1531

Mine will put my golf into the ceiling if I'm not careful. It leaves plenty of room underneath to work, as long as you don't plan to stand or walk around under it. I only have 9' ceilings in the garage. If I put a truck on it, I can only get it off the ground a couple feet. Either way, it beats the heck out of jack stands and ramps any day!
Nice !

I'm thinking 4 poster for my barn...

Until then, Neil, when would you have some free time that we could replace the e-brake cables and flush my brake fluid?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, but it won't be this weekend.... I promised the wife I'd watch our daughter so she could have some Mommy time! I have plenty of brake fluid here, but you'll have to get your cables coming. Maybe we can look at it next weekend?

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Yes, but it won't be this weekend.... I promised the wife I'd watch our daughter so she could have some Mommy time! I have plenty of brake fluid here, but you'll have to get your cables coming. Maybe we can look at it next weekend?
Next weekend would work for me, how's sun afternoon?

I already have the cables, had them for quite some time actually :rolleyes:

Want me to pick up some replacement brake fluid? Raisors or ??

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Did the get-together spoken about at the end of January ever happen? Sorry, I don't get on the forums enough.

Although Ella runs well with 250k miles, the paint job is looking the worse for wear - not enough waxing and the Nebraska winter was rough on it. I'm considering getting it repainted to avoid rust. Auto painting is not something I want to try on my own, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend an (economical) option.

Second (since I'm asking for suggestions anyway), we finally bit the bullet and ordered a 2012 Passat TDI. I'd like to avoid the paint damage on the new car and so am strongly considering having a 3M Clearbra put on it. Does anyone have any recommendations on a installation shop? I was thinking either Darrons or wetintcars.
Thanks.

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
peace of soul- Good to hear from you!
On the northside (Carmel), Dan at DT Services (wetintcars.com) has done an AWESOME job on SEVERAL jobs he has done for me. I met him when I worked at the VW dealership, he did a ton of clearbra and tint jobs for us, as well as all of my personal cars. Telling him you know me probably won't get you anywhere, but he does spectacular work and his price is fair!

As far as paint goes, I personally would call Maaco. I know they don't always have the best reputation, but I think they could easily handle your re-paint! I have dealt with Sam at the 71st street location with good results.

Congrats on the purchase, you will have to show it off some time soon. I'm glad to hear you and the family took the plunge. My wife was just asking me last night if I knew anyone that had one and whether I knew how they were on mileage, etc. She might have to check it out!

Wiltech- Sunday afternoon is cool with me. Don't worry about replacing what I have, I've been trying to use it up forever.... I'll put you on the calendar.

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
DCell, thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I think we're going to go with Dan.
Thanks for the suggestion about repainting, as well.

The Passat is due to be delivered on the 25th. We'll have to get together so you can see it.

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
Peace: if your looking for one more clear bra option I had a star shield installed at the Zbart in Castleton across from Costco maybe 3 weeks back. Price was fair not great, but they got me in fast and did nice work.

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Sketchy Noise

Hey guys- What does this sound like? Clutch? When I depress the clutch, sound goes away. In neutral with the clutch released you can hear the rattle-like sound?

Original clutch, 06 Jetta TDI, 165,000 miles.

Thoughts? :confused: See youtube link below

Pappy

http://youtu.be/MlfP-yACfLs

Last edited: