Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
...yes. What he said! antiseize is your friend!
OEM is usually BOSCH or BERU.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Howdy Gang! Just dropped in to see how everyone was doing. Been busy with classes and work. Looks like we are way over due for GTG! Guess I'll have to organize something.

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Howdy Gang! Just dropped in to see how everyone was doing. Been busy with classes and work. Looks like we are way over due for GTG! Guess I'll have to organize something.
Yes, I have 2 cubes of oil for you too :cool:

Ran into a slight issue this week with my bug... Mikes Express is not that pleased with my skid plate, the suspension with over 250k miles on it, and a fully loaded car... ooops :eek:

So I guess i need to look at refreshing the springs and struts/shocks sometime soon.

TheBullwinkle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Anyone need 4 cheap tires??? P205/55r16

I have 4 YOKAHAMA AVID Envigor tires. The tires off of the front have 4/32nd(30%-40%) tread left and the tires off of the back had a ton of tread left 8/32nds(70%-80%) left. I neglected to rotate the tires properly so the rear tires are somewhat chopped. They were noisy when I moved then to the front although I never heard any noise while they were in the back. I was gonna buy two new matching tires and leave the 8/32nd tires on the back but instead I bought 4 michelins that were on sale. Hoping to get $75.00 out of the tires, the only reason I replaced them was because of the road noise when the better tires were on the front.

Send me a PM or just post in the thread.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
HEEEELP! Driving east on Kessler, headed home for lunch, right at Keystone my tranny made a slight grinding noise as I shifted and the car now won't shift into 1st, 2nd, or Reverse! I was able to get home with starting out in 3rd gear. So the clutch pedal seems fine (at least the pressure) but the shifter is pretty limp and lacks any resistance trying 1st and 2nd. Shifter doesn't seem to want to push down to get into Reverse either.

So new tranny or clutch and anybody wanting to help a brother out?! : (

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
jerry- sent you a pm, but I guess I was late! Haven't had much time this week to read on this site. Let me know if you need/ want help installing!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Neil, I'll give you a call about getting a hand. Right now looks like it won't be til Sunday evening that I'll be able to get to it.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone want to go to Lexington KY for the fest? At this point it looks like I will be going down on Sunday. If anyone wants to ride with me or caravan a couple of cars down, I'm up for whatever. I've made the trip to the fest by myself before, I'll do it again if I have to, but it would be nice to have some company for the drive. I am hoping to score a deal on a new suspension setup (finally). Last fest I attended I got some great deals on brakes and a frostheater. I will be in Auburn, IN Friday and Saturday driving a '36 Auburn sedan and a '31 Auburn speedster to various events, as well as a parade on Saturday. I could leave Auburn as early as Saturday night, but will probably leave early Sunday morning to head south. LET ME KNOW ASAP if you want to go!!!! If not, I'll go alone again....

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
Bummer i need to get on this page more... i would love to have run down to Lexington.
If anyone is looking for a sat. afternoon free outing. The British car show (my other love) will be in downtown Zionsville today from 10-2. Its a great opportunity to see plenty of poorly wired yet cool little sports cars!!

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
We are new in town from Virginia via Nebraska. On the drive, my Mother - who doesn't know VWs - managed to not follow any of the directions for getting the car in to reverse correctly and jammed something somewhere which locked the car in reverse. It was as if the selector was jammed in the pressed down position.

My wife - who does know VWs - was able to get it out of the lowered position and was able to drive in the forward gears. The car was later, mistakenly, put back into reverse and jammed again. Clearly the moral of this story is don't let other people drive your car.

Anyway, we adjusted the shift linkage and now have completely lost reverse.

We managed to mess up the car and move just in time to miss the get-together, but we are hoping for any recommendations or suggestions for someone who can fix this for us. Or, advice on how we could fix it ourselves. In the words of our Virginia mechanic, ninedee_golf_tdi, we have just enough tools to break things.

Thanks in advance; I feel like reverse is an important gear to have, but perhaps I simply need to re-frame my perspective. :)

Dslbtl

TDI
2001 Beetle
Hello my fellow Indiana tdi'ers :p, I need to get my timing belt done now that ive saved up some money and was wondering who you would recommend, i live about 1.5 hours south west of Indy if location matters? I have 01 beetle. I can help some I'm not clueless on working on vehicles I've just never done anything this major on a daily driver vehicle before, and I don't have scan tool yet but anyways any help would be appriciated.
Thanks, Chris

dajo

TDI
2012 JSW sun/nav DSG
, but we are hoping for any recommendations or suggestions for someone who can fix this for us. Or, advice on how we could fix it ourselves. In the words of our Virginia mechanic, ninedee_golf_tdi, we have just enough tools to break things.

Look in the list of mechanics for each state. There is one listed from I believe Mooresville or that area.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
dslbtl- I would check with Jeff's vw repair shop in Mooresville for your timing belt.

Dajo- I helped "Ella" out yesterday, with rescheduled plans to make a permanent fix in two weeks. I'm not a "trusted mechanic" but we were able to take care of several issues in my garage!

Peace of Soul- It was good to meet you and your family yesterday- we wish you good luck with your new life here and Indy! Welcome!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
dslbtl just left my house last night. he was well pleased with his new timing belt, and replacement MAF.

:)

Dslbtl

TDI
2001 Beetle
yes growler did my timing belt last night, got me right in! and now i have peace of mind and dont have to worry about the thing breaking!

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Thanks, DCell, it was good to meet a knowledgeable, friendly diesel enthusiast. I appreciate your help, I think the coolant and oil leaks are taken care of. And, although I do sort of miss 5th gear, I must admit that it is much easier to drive when you have 1st and 2nd rather than starting from 3rd.

Indy is treating us quite well, all things considered.

Dslbtl, I'm glad you got your timing belt taken care of. I hope Dayton wasn't too long a trek.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Any of you Indy guys with CRs have an opinion on Tom Wood? I've had all my work done there, mostly to my satisfaction, but recently I stopped by Falcone for the first time (I was in the neighborhood) to buy something from their parts department, and one of the long time service guys from Tom Wood was working there now. He told me Falcone had poached three of the diesel mechanics from TW. If I didn't have a Common Rail I would probably be using Jeff in Mooresville, but these new engines just have too many unique issues and I feel more comfortable maintaining a relationship with the same dealership (for now) in case my HPFP shreds, my intercooler ices up, my turbo blows, my DPF craps out early, my mechatronics unit need replaced, or my ECU needs yet another flash. (Tom wood replaced my exhaust flap at 38k under warranty without a fight, which impressed me). I'm due for my 50k service in a month or so.

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
jbright- competition among vw dealers is absolutely brutal. As a former f@lcone employee, I know first hand. There are also former tw subaru, tw audi, and tw porsche mechanics and parts guys working in the shop. For the record, NONE of them specialize in diesels. The fact is, your car will get dispatched (rushed) to whichever vw tech has time to do it. All I can say is that no shop is perfect, dealership or not, but there are not too many people in the area that have the knowledge and equipment to properly service the newer vw/audi cr diesels. In my opinion, you at least have a better chance of getting the job done right at a dealer (I know, contrary to the popular belief on these forums). On another note- The 50K service is relatively basic oil/ filters/ check service. No matter what anyone at the shop tells you, it is an overpriced, over-hours service that takes only a fraction of the billed time to complete. You would be MUCH better off financially to buy the filters and oil at the parts counter and let someone else do it! I'd even offer to teach you how to do it if you are interested in learning! Just my $0.02, thanks for listening to my rant!

Last edited:

92dakotahd

TDI
2001 Beetle Silver Arrow
I just found this thread. I'm east of Indy. I found a shop in Richmond that seems pretty reputable. But have had TW do some service. Not too fond of them as had it there for a service that was about $500 and they did it in just over an hour. Last time. Car is probably suffering a bit for it but my wallet is better off.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
jbright- competition among vw dealers is absolutely brutal. As a former f@lcone employee, I know first hand. There are also former tw subaru, tw audi, and tw porsche mechanics and parts guys working in the shop. For the record, NONE of them specialize in diesels. The fact is, your car will get dispatched (rushed) to whichever vw tech has time to do it. All I can say is that no shop is perfect, dealership or not, but there are not too many people in the area that have the knowledge and equipment to properly service the newer vw/audi cr diesels. In my opinion, you at least have a better chance of getting the job done right at a dealer (I know, contrary to the popular belief on these forums). On another note- The 50K service is relatively basic oil/ filters/ check service. No matter what anyone at the shop tells you, it is an overpriced, over-hours service that takes only a fraction of the billed time to complete. You would be MUCH better off financially to buy the filters and oil at the parts counter and let someone else do it! I'd even offer to teach you how to do it if you are interested in learning! Just my $0.02, thanks for listening to my rant!
Thanks for the offer, DCELL. I'm a DIYer in most areas of life but I hate working on cars, even though my dad and grandfather were mechanics. (I have done some small stuff on this car myself). The point you made about having a better chance of proper work done at the dealership is exactly why I've continued using them. I look at the extra money I've paid (to be their 'loyal' customer) as a kind of insurance in case anything goes wrong. As I said, if my engine wasn't a common rail I would not be using the dealership at the point. I hope, in a few more years, the independent shops will be a lot more familiar with these engines and the bugs will get worked out. I keep cars for a long time and I'm absolutely addicted to the way this car drives so I hope I'm not forced to bail out because it gets too expensive to maintain (HPFP, exhaust system, turbo, DMF, etc.). After my 20K service, I was unconvinced the right oil had been put in my car, even though TW swore it was correct, so I bought some 507 at Pep Boys and had Jeff in Mooresville change it. He seems like a good guy and very knowledge, although at the time (early 2010) he said he hadn't worked on any CRs yet.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
92dakota-
welcome to our little corner of this website! Your dealership experience is pretty common. Check back often, sometimes us indy folks actually get together in person!

Onefast66nova

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 golf
I just found this post and I live in the Indy area! Glad I stumbled on this post! I had a bad experience at Tom wood and will not go back. This is why we bought our cars from dryer in greenwood even though I live 15 min from wood and a little over an hr from dryer. Glad we went there though the parents and I both bought a tdi at the same time and wood would not work with us at all when dryer did. Bill