Incorrect Battery from Dealership!!?!

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
The current list price from Volkswagen for a proper H7 type battery for the OP's ALH Golf is $180. 000-915-105-DH. This is the REAL one, not the "eco" one. I cannot comment on the pricing structure or ability of some other dealer to sell the correct one, nor if they price gouge, nor if some state has some crazy environmental tax on batteries (our state has a small tax, but it is very little).
I was looking at the previous part number 000915105AG at the VW part site and it lists 000915105DHDSP as the replacement, not the 000915105DH. Are you familiar with the "DHSDSP"? It's listed as an 80ah battery.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I'm sorry. Reguardless of prices being 2021 to 2022 and not 1995.....
28% can still be had with minimal work all day every day.
Anytjing I to the 40% area is a slick deal and can be had if you know how to shop.
Dealerships are actually a great place to stop by and ask to price match the deal you have. Of they dont play ball (only few dont) you can have a slick deal.
Paying retail is for suckers or people who have more money than time! Especially when you get the wrong battery.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Although, as part of a normal checkover, if I am replacing a battery in a car, I thoroughly check the car for potential parasitic drains, which for VAG products is VERY commonly found in door latches, often without the owner even knowing.

So if you are having a chronic battery problem, there is a reason.
Oilhammer,
Specifically, why do the door latches create parasitic drain and what's the fix?

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I can't figure out what the "DSP" means, but ETKA lists 000915105DH so I'd still probably stick with that unless you go with an aftermarket battery. In that case, look for batteries labeled 94R or H7.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are always lots of supercessions and combinations of part numbers. Batteries and brake pads are the most common. I'd not dwell much on what that means.

Door latches drain batteries because the CCM or CEM sit and wait for the door to report closed, or for the door to lock, or whatever the failure mode may be, and never go to sleep. An active CAN bus can drain a battery to the point of not being enough left to start the car within a day or two. But even if the car DOES start, repeated draining of the battery like that will shorten its life, as well as tax the alternator beyond what it was intended to do.

We flag bad batteries here all the time, and the customer will say "But it starts every time!"... and then they come it with it totally dead a month later.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
There are always lots of supercessions and combinations of part numbers. Batteries and brake pads are the most common. I'd not dwell much on what that means.

Door latches drain batteries because the CCM or CEM sit and wait for the door to report closed, or for the door to lock, or whatever the failure mode may be, and never go to sleep. An active CAN bus can drain a battery to the point of not being enough left to start the car within a day or two. But even if the car DOES start, repeated draining of the battery like that will shorten its life, as well as tax the alternator beyond what it was intended to do.

We flag bad batteries here all the time, and the customer will say "But it starts every time!"... and then they come it with it totally dead a month later.
How’s one check those for problems?

oilhammer

TDI
Check the latch operation, and check the feedback in the appropriate module's data... or in most cases, the module already has a DTC stored.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I picked up an H8 battery about 2 weeks ago at Home Depot for $119. The best deal I could find. For the H7 battery (smaller) it was $139. The H8 is a tight fit in my Golf but it does fit. This new H8 was shoehorned into my F150, again a tight fit but it goes.
I'd buch rather have a bigger battery. So an h8 will fit in the jsw's?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I had to modify the cover because it was too short but I think that was it.

I found the post where I got my info to make it fit.

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Wow.... a very entertaining read here.....
I might as well jump onto this bandwagon with another potential option:
I have previously replaced my battery with a new Interstate "display" model (correct size) for which I paid $75 CAD (so like $3 USD 😩 )
These units can usually be purchased from large retailers or distribution centers if still around after a few years of being on display. They are typically tested and fully conditioned\operational. but do not come with any sort of warranty, unlike their new siblings.
My '10 OEM unit lasted 7 years up here in Canada, and it was replaced by a display unit as per above which was still running at the beginning of this month when my DD got eliminated from service.

Last edited:

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Wow.... a very entertaining read here.....
I might as well jump onto this bandwagon with another potential option:
I have previously replaced my battery with a new Interstate "display" model (correct size) for which I paid $75 CAD (so like $3 USD 😩 )
These units can usually be purchased from large retailers or distribution centers if still around after a few years of being on display. They are typically tested and fully conditioned\operational. but do not come with any sort of warranty, unlike their new siblings.
My '10 OEM unit lasted 7 years up here in Canada, and it was replaced by a display unit as per above which was still running at the begging of this month when my DD got eliminated from service.
Interesting reading. Got a battery quote from VW for a B4 TDI and chatted with a certified master mechanic who told me the manufacturer for their VW badged battery is Interstate. Have had good service from Interstate batteries in gasser vehicles too. Battery Tender from Deltran helps to keep them at, or near, full potential.

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
That is TWO sizes too small. You need the 80Ah DH suffix bettery. You got the tiny 61Ah (there is also a 72Ah unit, which is what the TDI NBs use).

They sold you the wrong one, take it back and tell them you need the proper 80Ah unit.

Most all VAG products (save for the bigger Audis and Phaetons and T'regs and such) use the H5 (what you mistakingly got), the H6, or the H7 case configuration.

ALH and BEW G/J use the H7

ALH and BEW NB use the H6, as does the BHW B5 (the B5 can easily be upgraded to the H7 with a hold down swap, see my thread)

No TDIs use the H5.
The voice of reason and knowledge is very much appreciated Oilhammer!

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
So my 02 Golf TDI needs a new battery. I bought one from the local VW dealership. Gave them my VIN and they brought me a battery. $190 out the door no core.

I’ll be dammed if it don’t look too small. 000915105DE is the part number. I googled it and I don’t think it’s the right one. If it’s correct, I’ll install it. If it’s wrong, what is the proper part number?
Name the Stealership, please.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
fwiw, a lesson i learned is a cheaper batt cost less because theres less lead inside it so not as good, compare the weights, a top 70ah batt will weigh closer to iirc 18kg.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Check the latch operation, and check the feedback in the appropriate module's data... or in most cases, the module already has a DTC stored.
Thanks for the troubleshooting tips Oilhammer. BTW, when you look for excessive draw, are you taking off a battery post, putting an ammeter in-line and measuring the current drawn with everything off and doors shut? What would an acceptable draw be?

My beetle might need a new battery. It's got a Deka in there now that looks like an AGM battery. It sat for 2 days and was really slow to crank, but it's sat for a week before without doing that. I should load test it.

oilhammer

TDI
That is NOT how you check for battery drains. VAG has a helpful TSB about measuring the voltage drop across fuses to find a drain. It has been discussed and posted here many, many times.

Here is some info:

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Interesting reading. Got a battery quote from VW for a B4 TDI and chatted with a certified master mechanic who told me the manufacturer for their VW badged battery is Interstate. Have had good service from Interstate batteries in gasser vehicles too. Battery Tender from Deltran helps to keep them at, or near, full potential.
Actually Interstate doesn't make batteries, just a brand name. Johnson Controls makes them and OE Volkswagen Varta Batteries.

oilhammer

TDI
That is no longer the case. JCI sold off its division that made batteries to another company, and that company rebranded that division. It is called Clarios, and is part of Brookfield, which was JCI's Power Solutions.

This all started after Tyco and JCI merged. Stockholder reports are all available, if you want to read all about it.

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Provided VIN for 1996 B4 and stealership quoted:
000-915-105-DG-DSPWFLOORBATTERY for $168.00 + $16.80 tax = $184.80

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
That is no longer the case. JCI sold off its division that made batteries to another company, and that company rebranded that division. It is called Clarios, and is part of Brookfield, which was JCI's Power Solutions.

This all started after Tyco and JCI merged. Stockholder reports are all available, if you want to read all about it.
Thanks the update. Looks like this was a recent event and Clarios is about to launch an IPO.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Provided VIN for 1996 B4 and stealership quoted:
000-915-105-DG-DSPWFLOORBATTERY for $168.00 + $16.80 tax = $184.80
I've actually had a 49A stuffed into the front end of my B3V TDI (same as B4), it will fit if you work at it, slightly smaller option is a 94R too. I had hoped that my 95R-950 would fit but I think that's just a bit too much to cram in there.

Steve

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My son purchased the "best" battery o'riellys had back in 9/20 (I was out of town) temps are now getting down in the mid 40's, and found out battery is shot.Pitiful
I agree that does suck, but their batteries have a 3 year full replacement. I know as a while back my battery was down to 5 volts and would not take a charge, it had been months, and apparently I have some sort of mild constant drain.
I took it in, they tested it and I left with a new battery. The battery I got filled the battery tray and had handles...that pig is heavy.

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
I agree that does suck, but their batteries have a 3 year full replacement. I know as a while back my battery was down to 5 volts and would not take a charge, it had been months, and apparently I have some sort of mild constant drain.
I took it in, they tested it and I left with a new battery. The battery I got filled the battery tray and had handles...that pig is heavy.
That would be great except my son (battery was purchased by him) is stationed in Korea for the next year then goes to Japan for probably 3 years...

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
The current list price from Volkswagen for a proper H7 type battery for the OP's ALH Golf is $180. 000-915-105-DH. This is the REAL one, not the "eco" one.
You are correct, sir! I went back to the dealership. The parts guy was appropriately apologetic and swapped the battery out for the DH version. The DH was $25 more, but he didn't charge me due to the error. Going back was a hassle, but this particular dealership made good on it.

The funny part was him putting in the battery... installation was fine, but two of the shop guys and one of the salesmen walked up and were watching like we were doing open heart surgery on a grey alien. Dudes, it's just a TDI, not a Coelacanth.

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
You are correct, sir! I went back to the dealership. The parts guy was appropriately apologetic and swapped the battery out for the DH version. The DH was $25 more, but he didn't charge me due to the error. Going back was a hassle, but this particular dealership made good on it.

The funny part was him putting in the battery... installation was fine, but two of the shop guys and one of the salesmen walked up and were watching like we were doing open heart surgery on a grey alien. Dudes, it's just a TDI, not a Coelacanth.
Eh either one, the DE is listed as a correct battery and the DG is a larger battery that also fits. If the area you're in doesn't get the extreme cold that folks living say; in Canada get, you'd be fine with the DE.
My Golf TDi has the smaller DE and my CC TSi has a larger DH.

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I would like to rig up a 140 A-h set of those 70A-h that BMW uses. 2P-4S of iron Phosphate Li. There is plenty of room... :) With an aux set in the back for a total of 3P...but whilst putting some at the other end, why not jus' go 4P... :D
cheers,
Douglas

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Incorrect Battery from Dealership!!?!
Indeed.
You can not trust anyone to get you the proper part. Period.
Not my opinion, rather my experience. I was once at the dealer, they looked up my car by VIN (believe they use ETKA), then provided me with the wrong part.