Inadvisable PD Upgrades

TDI
05 Jetta TDI
Hi all. I've got an 05 Jetta pd100 BEW. I've noticed an exhaust leak at the flex pipe on my downpipe. So, I'll be replacing that. While I'm at it I figure I should look for a new turbo as my stock one is over stressed from my ecu tune and water injection.
While researching turbos that would spool well and easily support modest power gains I found threads on the gtb2056vl from 5 cyl Volvos. That one seems to be fairly cheap used, easily does 200+ hp, has optional water cooling, and spools quickly. The problems with the install are creating a custom manifold and converting the electronic actuation system to vacuum or some other voodoo.
The manifold shouldn't be too difficult. I'll have to find a welder who can cut a manifold from a blown turbo then weld on a flange. The actuator OTOH, seems to be less straight forward. I'm not sure how to accomplish this despite some searching and reading.
Some other things to note are that my cam is wearing. With almost half a million kms, it's no big surprise. A colt stage 2 cam might go in. Or a stock one. I've also been reading about BHW injectors having a larger nozzle than mine. If I could source some for cheap, they might go in with the cam. Or not.
I don't plan on other fueling upgrades as nozzle replacement services seem cost prohibitive.
With all this in mind and that I'm located in Ontario Canada ?... Is this a good plan? Have I bitten off more than I can chew as an amateur mechanic? I'll install the turbo myself and have a shop do the cam. Are there better options available locally? Shipping costs and exchange rates can easily balloon my budget unexpectedly and unacceptably.
I primarily want a fast spooling and economical ride and would consider maximum power secondary to "area under the curve".
Anybody heard of Black Haze Workshop? https://blackhazeworkshop.com/en/parts/turbo_upgrade_vnt20_hybrid_vnt17_alh_bew_tdi.html
I don't know what I should expect from that turbo or that shop. Theres very little feedback on either.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
if you're only going to small/none injector upgrades, you'll not need that much turbo. GTB1752 should be enough...it certainly has a larger inducer than the GTD1752.
cheers,
Douglas

TDI
05 Jetta TDI
So, that turbo would still need to have a flange welded on a manifold and vacuum converted but would spool faster than a gtb2056vl?

The larger inducer should mean more top end flow but slower spool than the GTD?

volvo gtb2056vl
Compressor (6 main blades) inducer/exducer: 39.6mm / 56mm
Turbine (9 blades) exducer/inducer: 42mm / 47mm
Compressor A/R: 0.45
Turbine A/R: 0.64

GTB1752V VW T5 174hp
Compressor
inducer/exducer: 38.6 / 52mm
A/R: 0.45
Turbine
exducer/inducer: 43 / 39.5mm
A/R: 0.74

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Depending on your goals, get a PD150 turbo with a billet wheel, that will support 200 chp. The GTD1752VRK is rated for 230 at 29psi, the GTB2060VKLR 300+

Get some PD150 injectors on the UK Ebay.

Get a mandrel bent dp and some from of hi flow muffler and the car will be an animal.

Better have a good clutch in her.

There are various hybrids etc available, probably better off buying them already done and ready to bolt on.

Try the vendor section, Dark Side in the UK, Xman on fb etc.

BHW injectors aren't really an upgrade.

If your cam is going flat, the Colt Cams is a good way to go, depending on how long you plan on keeping the car.

Last edited:
TDI
05 Jetta TDI
Thank you for your input. The GT1749VB seems to be about the right size and the price is very affordable. I was thinking about staying away from the GT series in favor of a GTB tho. The improvement to spool would be nice for a daily driver and increased flow to keep the fun till red line. Price is a factor so GTD is probably out of the question.

I'm extremely impressed at the cheap price of pd150 injectors on UK eBay. The perfectionist in me would hate to get away from the superior pd100 injector bodies but a nozzle swap is too expensive and out of the question. That makes the used 150 injectors the only realistic option.

Downpipe will very likely be a buzzken 2.5" with cat and (hopefully) resonator.

I hope to install a single mass clutch when my current one wears out. I had read they can be noisy tho, so, this requires more thought.

I was eyeballing the gtb2056vl. It's got a somewhat smaller inducer paired with a somewhat larger exducer which should translate to high surge resistance and good ability to produce pressure at lower engine speeds. Do we think the GT1749VB would out spool it? Would requested boost more closely match actual in everyday driving conditions?

TDI
05 Jetta TDI
I'm driving myself crazy nitpicking this choice to death! Hahah. Custom options have some great properties like water cooling. I'll be upset with myself if I get hung up and my exhaust leak gets worse tho. Carbon monoxide poisoning can't be great for my decision making process. X_x

Edit: I've been talking a little with a Canadian darkside developments dealer. Gtb1752 is in the running.

Last edited:

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
how many miles you have on this thing? these cars aren't new anymore I built mine closing in on a decade ago have a 2056vk under the hood dam good turbo but if I would have the choice to do it all over again it would have been exhaust, clutch upgrade, and tune.....done. gets stupid expensive after that for what you get. I've had my car towed home several times if this is your DD i'd keep your mod list limited but hay its your dime.

past the first couple mods you better plan on turbo, custom header, big injectors, cam, LSD (otherwise you'll never get the power to the ground), an even bigger clutch, and while I was at it dumped a euro 6 speed under the hood....it just never ends. lot of dough to get to 200 ponies.

TDI
05 Jetta TDI
Thanks. I don't think I'm ever going to be chasing big power. I wonder if pd150 injectors would compromise fuel economy and emissions. I read they run on lower pressures than pd100 injectors. Nozzle fitting services are far too expensive.

The car has nearly 500k km's. I've been doing lots of work on it myself. Cam is getting sharp edges, other than that, in fine shape. So, I figure maybe a stage 2 Cam or OE replacement. When the clutch dies, it'll be upgraded to match the extra power. I really don't think I'll go crazy and get the other stuff despite how much I'd enjoy them. Tubular equal length header would be cool but it would probably mean the egr system wouldn't fit. An lsd would be straight up amazing but at $1k and then install costs, I can't afford it. These cars really have a design flaw in that vw didn't choose a 6 speed and lsd right off. Only way I could have one would be to find a great used deal.

I read that people enjoy their 2056's very much. While I have no experience with them I think I'd better go with a smaller size. The car is my DD and I really won't accept it if it doesn't have good street manners. My philosophy on upgrading is sort of greedy. I want everything and a cherry on top. I want increased fuel efficiency, stock or better than stock low speed manners, quiet operation, responsive turbo, low sound levels, increase in power, maintaining factory emissions controls and no smoke. :p

Top turbo choice so far is GTB1756VK. I imagine I can go even smaller with my modest fueling goals. That turbo seems to be mostly affordable (lol), integrated manifold and straightforward install. I'd go with a 52mm inducer on the compressor or even a D series smaller turbo but I haven't found any obvious choices.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
pd150s shouldn't affect fuel economy much if at all, assuming you keep your foot out of it. GTB1756 would work really well for you, still great response and a nice pairing for those nozzles. Been daily driving a 1756 CR for over a year now and it runs very well. Would save for an LSD from there, night and day at this power level.

TDI
05 Jetta TDI
Many thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently looking at darkside GTB kits. The costs of welding flanges and so on worry me. So, for time and potential cost savings, I'm looking at a GTB turbo kit on a cast manifold.
If I had all the time in the world, I'd love to learn to weld and fab up the stuff to cram a used GTD turbo in there.
Alass, that's not in my time budget